Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times

Advertisements

I don't know - in this area, I still think there is a lot to be said for "location, location, location"

It really depends on your commute tolerance and other quality of life concerns. Of course, we bought a house halfway between our workplaces...then my husband switched jobs 9 months later, nowhere near where he was working previously. Now, we're just glad we didn't go further west than we already are and that we kept to our list of amenities that we wanted in a neighborhood.

I am just on the end of GenX (mid30s). I have seen studies about this - millenials choosing urban core over suburbia. Here, that is pretty hard to do due to cost of living, so lots of couples try to buy as close to the city as they can, especially if that is where they work. But, yes - it is a trend that has been documented. If you can afford to buy closer in to the city and that is where you work, why wouldn't you as a 20-something to early 30-something?

For us, cost is what drove us to Reston for our first property. Neither of us made big bucks at the time (we actually still don't - oh, well), so our budget didn't allow for anything more than a one bedroom condo any closer in. I would have loved to be closer in, but we felt like it made more sense to at least have a second bedroom, and it just wasn't possible in our price range any closer to the city. It was OK commutewise, though, as I took public transportation to Arlington and my husband did a reverse commute to Rockville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
What is the current millenial age range, 20s to early 30s or something like that? I think alot of it may have to do with having kids. I'm in my mid 30s with kids and I know my mentality has definitely changed on housing in the last 5 years. I used to prefer location over size/newness of my residence. It has flipped since the kids came along and I'm pretty sure our next move is going to be further out to get a larger house.
They're 20 and 30 somethings born after 1977.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Generation Y - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a '77 baby, as is my husband. I would say we are on the cusp. I see some GenX and some GenY/Millenial traits in us, although I think there are some negative stereotypes about both and don't really see those "bad traits" in our peer group.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM

564 posts, read 1,494,129 times
I should also point out that though I seem to fit the profile for this thread, proximity to a city or urban area, for me, was not a deciding factor in any way besides reasonable proximity to multiple employment centers. If I didn't have to work, we would be out in the middle of nowhere. We got as close as we could while still having 1/2 acre and a neighborhood you could meander through without worrying about traffic or hitting any main roads.

I think a lot of folks my age do like being near urban centers though, I'm a little different.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
I've had some heated exchanges with a few posters on the DC forum about this - they like to refer to this trend as a "cultural shift" toward urban and close-in living, and I tend to think that most people, younger or older, make practical, sensible discussions based on their own set of circumstances. But, the fact that some cities - including DC - are safer than they used to be, and traffic congestion in large metropolitan areas such as ours has gotten worse, are certainly very relevant to decisions that people make. I don't know whether it's really reached a tipping point, though, when the economy also factors heavily into the mix.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I lifted my definition from Howard Ross, a pretty well respected local writer and pundit of demographics I heard yesterday on Kojo's show on WAMU. He was talking about their high levels of self confidence.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 AM

That's fine - as the wikipedia article says, the definition is a bit fuzzy and depends on which researcher you listen to.

And yes, I do realize I just used wikipedia as a source - for this purpose, I don't see a huge problem with it.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I've had some heated exchanges with a few posters on the DC forum about this - they like to refer to this trend as a "cultural shift" toward urban and close-in living, and I tend to think that most people, younger or older, make practical, sensible discussions based on their own set of circumstances. But, the fact that some cities - including DC - are safer than they used to be, and traffic congestion in large metropolitan areas such as ours has gotten worse, are certainly very relevant to decisions that people make. I don't know whether it's really reached a tipping point, though, when the economy also factors heavily into the mix.
Plus the aforementioned gas prices. I know my kids and their friends like being in close proximity to one another and to urban amenities. Perhaps that will change as they get older and have more kids. I hope not.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
That's fine - as the wikipedia article says, the definition is a bit fuzzy and depends on which researcher you listen to.

And yes, I do realize I just used wikipedia as a source - for this purpose, I don't see a huge problem with it.
I wasn't questioning that. I just wanted provide my source as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think the Annandale area is getting a new school, too, although I haven't been following any of the details on that. Plus, some of the surrounding areas are getting some retail makeovers, so that might also be attractive to the younger set.
The new school in Annandale is Mason Crest ES, and it opened this fall:

Mason Crest Elementary School

As far as I'm aware, there aren't other new schools planned in Annandale right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia