Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better to live in PA or VA for taxes?
PA 3 37.50%
VA 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 PM

36 posts, read 104,086 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone -

There were so many helpful responses on my other thread about relocating within 3 hours of Herndon that I wanted to see if someone could help me with this question.

We have it narrowed down to a couple of towns in Virginia or Pennsylvania.

We are wondering if its better for tax purposes to live in VA or PA? PA has lower income tax, but higher sales tax, but not sure if it would just be a wash or not?

We don't plan to purchase a home right away so the property taxes aren't really factoring in. Also - husband will be working in VA - but looks like they have a reciprocity agreement with PA so we would just have to pay the income tax rate of where we resided.

Thanks so much for your help!

PS - If anyone has any other reasons why they would choose one state versus the other I would love to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
I suspect taxes will be far lower in PA, mainly because the housing costs (and thus assessments) are lower there. (Sales tax is negligible for most people.) However, the vast amount of time he'd spend commuting into VA--along with the money spent in gasoline and miles put on the car--would perhaps be offset by that savings.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM

36 posts, read 104,086 times
Thanks for the feedback - he won't be commuting because he works from home. He will have to go into the office one or two times per month. We were leaning towards PA - good to know the taxes are probably lower overall.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 PM

270 posts, read 908,732 times
Taxes in VA are lower than PA. The Tax Foundation has PA in the top 10 states for overall tax burden.

States with the highest and lowest taxes

PA sales tax of 6% is higher, but PA does not tax food and clothing, while VA does. One of the main differences is in local income tax. VA does not have local income tax, while PA does. Even 1%, which is not unusual is a lot. Property tax in VA is easy; it's based on market value. In PA, it's way more complicated with a confusing system of proprty assessments, but the resulting rates are definitely higher. VA offsets some with the annual car tax.

The one area where PA is hard to beat is retirement. PA basically doesn't tax any retirement income, unlike VA and most states. As a result, lots of people retire to PA or stay in PA. Only Florida has a higher percentage of retirees than PA because of that and it's not by much.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,042 times
OTOH, the difference probably amounts to 1-2% of income a year. If you love love love some place in PA and haven't felt more than 'meh' about places in VA, the $1500 you save in taxes won't help you.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
I don't know which is better overall but car insurance is much higher in Pennsylvania. You can call your insurance company and give them the zip codes where you are planning to move and they can give you a quote for each place to compare. Overall I don't think one state is that much worse than the other for that to sway your decision.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
Taxes in VA are lower than PA. The Tax Foundation has PA in the top 10 states for overall tax burden.

States with the highest and lowest taxes

PA sales tax of 6% is higher, but PA does not tax food and clothing, while VA does. One of the main differences is in local income tax. VA does not have local income tax, while PA does. Even 1%, which is not unusual is a lot. Property tax in VA is easy; it's based on market value. In PA, it's way more complicated with a confusing system of proprty assessments, but the resulting rates are definitely higher. VA offsets some with the annual car tax.

The one area where PA is hard to beat is retirement. PA basically doesn't tax any retirement income, unlike VA and most states. As a result, lots of people retire to PA or stay in PA. Only Florida has a higher percentage of retirees than PA because of that and it's not by much.
Interesting. Sounds like PA would be hard to beat for retirement.

Re. other taxes: I still think it would all depend on housing costs. I live in Arlington, which claims to have a low RE tax rate of .97%. BUT the assessed values are crazy high--so the result is that a modest house will be taxed at $6000 or $7000 per year. I suspect in most parts of PA that sales prices are far lower--so the resulting tax would be as well. Now would that savings be outweighed by the local income tax? I don't know.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM

270 posts, read 908,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Interesting. Sounds like PA would be hard to beat for retirement.

Re. other taxes: I still think it would all depend on housing costs. I live in Arlington, which claims to have a low RE tax rate of .97%. BUT the assessed values are crazy high--so the result is that a modest house will be taxed at $6000 or $7000 per year. I suspect in most parts of PA that sales prices are far lower--so the resulting tax would be as well. Now would that savings be outweighed by the local income tax? I don't know.
But Arlington can only tax you once. In PA, the township taxes your real estate, the county taxes your real estate, and then the school district taxes it, too. It's complicated in Pa, but here is how it works:

MARKET VALUE X COUNTY PREDETERMINED RATIO = ASSESSMENT
ASSESSMENT X MILLAGE RATE = TAX BILL

For example: If the current market value or base year value of Property A is $100,000 and the county’s predetermined ratio is 40 percent, then the assessed value is $40,000 [$100,000 x 40 percent]. The county might levy five mills for the real estate tax; the township in which the property is located might levy ten mills for the real estate tax; and the coterminous school district might levy 20 mills for the real estate tax. The owner of Property A would, therefore, be liable to pay real estate taxes in the amounts of $200 to the county [$40,000 x .005], $400 to the township [$40,000 x .01], and $800 to the school district [$40,000 x .02]. So that would be $1400 for a $100,000 property.

In VA terms that would be 1.4%, but it varies from town to town in PA along with the county's ratio. Could be higher, could be lower. The bottom line is that real estate taxes won't be much cheaper in PA, even if the property is worth a lot less than the VA property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: