Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideas View Post
there must be enough of a korean population to serve those businesses right? Anybody know the ethnic breakdown of that place? Is it all korean? or other asian races as well?
It's not ALL Korean. A lot of Hispanic and Vietnamese live in that area as well. Occasionally you can find a white guy here and there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 96,375 times
I'm afraid it "is what it is" and I know of no one outside of Fairbanks, AK that doesn't know about DC (District of Corruption) and its partner-in-crime NOVA. However, no one is holding anyone hostage in NOVA. It is what some people flock to (full of $). It provides all things to most upwardly-bound people. It has almost all things you will find in most any other metro area (schools, expensive housing, history, $, jobs, and much more). It's up to people who come whether or not they want to stay here. I wish I could leave but $ (and a few other things) keep me here. I need $ and if I left for my native Texas (or permanent home in Calif) I would take a least a $30K salary cut. If you're willing to live in the 'burbs and share you can accomplish many things here. Like I said; not for everyone. I gave up my 1.5 hrs commute (one way), saved a bundle of time and money and invested it in a 3-person, up-scale t/h 25 minutes from work (west of DC). My share cost is $600 including paid sattv and utilities. Good luck to you and all should NOVA (NOVA is NOT DC) be in your plans. Pls write me __________if you like. I'm looking for an open-eyed, open-minded, realistic (but sensitive) penpal. I'm retired Navy and working as government contractor. Have a nice day. Hope I hear from you (and/or others).

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-16-2008 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Publicizing an e-mail address is not recommended. Please refer to the Terms of Service.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Good post. Yes, "we" are always in the market for talented people in NOVA. I'm also looking for penpals. I'm a Navy retired, DOD contractor. I reside at _____. Would love to chat awhile. I live in Burke, VA. Work in Chantilly.

UVA1

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-16-2008 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Publicizing e-mail addresses is not recommended. Please refer to the Terms of Service.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM

Sorry if I broke the rule about email addresses> If anyone wishes to call me they may do so @ 703-653-3413. Looking for penpals. I'm retired Navy and DOD contractor and loving it.

UVA1

Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 AM

23 posts, read 125,601 times
Faifax Mom- The parks here are not nice, ok.

Go to Texas, where there are plenty of parks and the lakes are big.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 16,535 times
I have lived in Alexandria, VA for 11 years now. I came straight off the farm in PA and WOW, what a culture shock!!! I have managed to get used to the noise, crime, traffic and overwhelming feeling of being a minority to some extent, but I have to say, it is NOT where I would want to raise my kids or where I want to spend the next 11 years of my life.
Any form of housing is SERIOUSLY overpriced ( efficiency apts. start aroung 1,000/mo, and don't forget about that wonderful PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX! (For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it is just that, a TAX on EVERYTHING you own-HOUSES, CARS, BOATS, CAR/BOAT TRAILERS, MOTORCYCLES, ETC). This place has the highest taxes I have ever seen.
There are lots of things to do, but you take your life in your hands when you go anywhere after dark-especially in D.C.! And going five miles anywhere at certain times and days can be an hour-long event-LITERALLY!!!
The first day I moved here, a cab driver was shot 6 blocks away from where I lived.
Since 1997, I have seen an increase in Illegals that is just immense. Gang violence is seriously on the rise, as is crime in general. Lots of rapes and murders here in the D.C. Metro area, (murders mostly in Prince George's Co. and D.C., but rapes EVERYWHERE at Metro stops and parks in broad daylight). Lots of home invasions too lately.
NO, they can have this place. Every day I spend here makes me miss the peace and quiet of home all the more.
As for people, in any office job you get, most of the people who hold manger positions are seriously over stressed and have some sort of mental problem (honestly) and they take it out on those around them. Women in every office I have ever worked in here are ultra-competitive and conniving. I usually end up doing two or three people's work for one person's pay as the women who have been there longer like to make you do their work and then they take credit for it. NOT a nice buch of folks down here, especially on Fort Belvoir.
If you have a half-decent figure and are a truly nice person, they hate you from the start. This is a dog-eat-dog environment.
I am pretty outgoing, but women here make it hard to be nice. They just hate everyone and everything and HAVE to try to boss everyone around-even if they are supposed to be your equal!
If you have tons of money, you'll fit in. If you have no college degree and are trying to go it alone, you will have a very tough time. Best hope for those is to waitress in an upscale restaurant. Most of them make more money than I make here on post.
Only thing is, you gotta' hustle and you will need to purchase your own health care-along with everything else.
I lived in Bronx, New York for a time and in all honesty, I liked New York better!
People were more down-to-Earth, not pretentious like they are here.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 69,838 times
Default Asians in Annandale

The many Korean restaurants, shops, delis you see in annandale are Korean owned but everyone shops there. These owners cater to the general public and not just the Asian community. Annandale is not all "Asian" or "Korean". It just appears to look like that to some because of the signs on businesses with Korean alphabet.

As for "FedupinVA" You came from PA so please, open your mind to the many positive aspects of NoVa or go back to PA!

Immigrants are not all illegal nor the problem. It is economics. Look at PG county and SE D.C. from 20 years ago, they had the same problems without "Illegal Immigrants". Less crime there now why? More people are educated, employed and have had a chance to make it like the rest of us.
Besides, this country was built on immigrants and fruited from their labor, so why should your ancestors get precedence over others anyway?
Correct me if I am mistaken but I do not think you are native to this land either right?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 AM

199 posts, read 652,802 times
Zillow is also a good website for home value estimates, pervious prices adn dips in values shown on a graph. affordable housing may be the forclosures or short sales route. Other than that I'm not too sure about home prices.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:04 PM

Default From Native Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromTX View Post
Faifax Mom- The parks here are not nice, ok.

Go to Texas, where there are plenty of parks and the lakes are big.
Finally, someone from Texas who actually speaks English; not Spanish. I think The Lone Star state is awsome but NOVA is what it is. Doesn't pretend to be anything else. I'm because of the $ so I can get ready for retirement. Otherwise, it would be southern AZ for me. Texas is too hot and humid in the summer (San Antonio Lee HS alum).

Cheers, Fairfax Mom. I work in Chantilly; home in Burke. Ring me if you wish (703) 653-3413. John

Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Nice post. This is UVA1. (703) 653-3413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
-Unless you live right across the street from or in the city of where you work, there will be no commute less than 30 minutes on a normal day.

-A typical studio or 1-bedroom starts at $1000. The only way you can find lower prices is if it is a private owner.

-Housing to own starts around 275k-300k with relatively crappy condos. No, we do not have 3 bedroom single family homes under 400k that are in liveable conditions.

-Yes Dingler, we do have illegal immigrants. No Dingler, not everyone that has light brown-dark brown skin is an illegal immigrant.

-Northern Virginia weather can be described as relatively balanced: we do have snow, there is a fall and a spring, and not to mention a scorching hot summer.

- If you are looking for nightlife for young people, a couple of places to check out include Ballston and DC.

- If you are looking for a small town feel, research City of Falls Church and Old Town Alexandria

- If you like stripmalls, you can live anywhere.

- We have plenty of diversity here though it is not often condensed in pockets (except Asiandale/Annandale). If you don't like diversity, you might want to reconsider moving here. If you do like diversity, sit tight, you will find the culture you seek as you settle in.

-You will come across a lot of whiners about how horrible Northern Virginia is so here are a few positive points to consider:
  • Northern Virginia is very nature-friendly. Even in the most condensed of metropolitan areas, you are able to see various trees, flowers, and shrubs.
  • World-class monuments and museums are within an hour's drive from you. So is shopping, the potomac river, small towns, and the capital of the United States
  • Most of the residents in Northern Virginia and DC are transplants. You will not feel like a sore thumb newbie sticking out in the crowd---we have all experienced what you experience at some point in time.
  • There are plenty of jobs to go around, as long as you have a college education. The tech industry here is booming, as are consulting firms in Tyson's Corner. There are even plenty of blue-collar jobs if you look hard enough.
  • No, our traffic really isn't that bad. If you disagree, I suggest you move to Philly or LA.
...NoVa-ers, feel free to add more.
Nice post. I live in Burke/work in Chantilly. John (703) 653-3413
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia