Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,292 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to buy a home in North Reston as we like the place very much. Problem is, my wife currently works in Columbia, MD. I believe the commute may be against the traffic flow however beltway traffic is un-predictable.

If any one can please share their experience and insight on if you think that is possible.

Also, we have looked at homes in Elkridge, Elicott City etc. but did not like these places much.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
This is a tough commute. I stated on another thread, the 495 inner loop in Mont Co is a very long parking lot and unpredictable. The outer loop heading back to NVa is no picnic either in the evening. Getting to Columbia from the 495 is tough too. Is there a compelling reason for living in N Reston? You don't state where you work. I would consider looking in Mont Co, Howard Co and perhaps Frederick Co.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I agree (although I prefer living in VA over MD) - but that would be a horrible commute (unless divorce is the plan? LOL)

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
Ouch. If my husband did that to me, I'd probably start looking for my own place closer to Columbia! I frequently drive from Sterling (very close to North Reston) to Glen Burnie, MD, and it is a pretty tiring drive even without traffic. I'd hate to have to do something similar twice a day, five days a week...yuck!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshchinta View Post
My wife and I are planning to buy a home in North Reston as we like the place very much. Problem is, my wife currently works in Columbia, MD. I believe the commute may be against the traffic flow however beltway traffic is un-predictable.

If any one can please share their experience and insight on if you think that is possible.

Also, we have looked at homes in Elkridge, Elicott City etc. but did not like these places much.

Thanks.
Where is your job?

Columbia itself is designed by the same folks that designed Reston ... what is wrong with there?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,292 times
I work in DC. Commute is not easy for me as well from North Reston until end 2013 (Silver Line Metro starts) it currently is very easy from Silver Spring, MD.

Both me and my wife like Reston area also our friends live around the same place which gives a better social life. Also, divorce is not a plan for now

Thanks for your inputs.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
It sounds like your wife (and by default you) won't have much time to spend with your Reston friends and she may be worn out on the weekdays and you may well need to catch up on household stuff on the weekends.

Given that, I'd look for a place in MD that otherwise fits your preferences and visit your Reston friends on the weekends.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I'd second the vote to live in Columbia. Columbia and Reston are very similar places, both being among the oldest planned communities in the nation. The housing costs are a lot cheaper than in Reston Your wife would have a much, much easier commute, and your commute wouldn't be that much worse. You can visit your friends on weekends.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelborne_22033 View Post
This is a tough commute. I stated on another thread, the 495 inner loop in Mont Co is a very long parking lot and unpredictable. The outer loop heading back to NVa is no picnic either in the evening. Getting to Columbia from the 495 is tough too. Is there a compelling reason for living in N Reston? You don't state where you work. I would consider looking in Mont Co, Howard Co and perhaps Frederick Co.
Do you drive the beltway every day? Inner loop in the morning into MD isn't a parking lot unless there's a major accident which doesn't happen that frequently. This morning I left Tysons Corner and got to Silver Spring MD in about 40 minutes. Going home generally isn't too bad either, I average about 40-45 minutes or so. The express lanes construction ending and opening up those lanes has helped traffic flow.

My home is close to the beltway as is my office in Silver Spring, so the vast majority of my commute is 495. I think this is key if you're commuting between VA/MD. The OP will have a much longer commute because of this. If you don't want to live in MD I'd suggest finding a home closer to the beltway in VA, but property will be much more expensive, and I'm sure a big reason you're buying in Reston is how much you can afford there. Good luck

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
Why don't you try it a couple of times. Stay overnight at friends in Reston on a weeknight and see what it is like for yourself. Then you'll know whether it is a viable commute for your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: