Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM

18 posts, read 30,200 times

Advertisements

The post regarding blacks in FFX made me think--why there're so many Asians in FFX? I also noticed that there's also a large latino population in FFX. Will they be counted as white?

In any event, why are there so many Asians and Hispanics in Fairfax county? For decades Chinese were not allowed to come to this country, after Chinese labors built the transcontinental railway. I guess they were not discriminated against despite of these discriminatory laws, so that they could thrive in a more "white" environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbuyer View Post
In any event, why are there so many Asians and Hispanics in Fairfax county? For decades Chinese were not allowed to come to this country, after Chinese labors built the transcontinental railway. I guess they were not discriminated against despite of these discriminatory laws, so that they could thrive in a more "white" environment?
Yes, after the completion of the Transcontinental Railway, the Chinese laborers were sent to Northern Virginia and nearly all Asians here are descended from them. The Hispanics are descended from a branch of the Cortez expedition, who were told that one of the seven cities of Cibola could be found near Falls Church.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yes, after the completion of the Transcontinental Railway, the Chinese laborers were sent to Northern Virginia and nearly all Asians here are descended from them. The Hispanics are descended from a branch of the Cortez expedition, who were told that one of the seven cities of Cibola could be found near Falls Church.
Can't rep you, but hilarious!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:50 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Who's counting? The census bureau??

And why in the world would they be counted as white? Asian and Hispanic are race classifications.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
The post regarding blacks in FFX made me think--why there're so many Asians in FFX? I also noticed that there's also a large latino population in FFX. Will they be counted as white?

Asians are attracted to the good schools.

Regarding your theory that Chinese should hate white people because of 1800s laws that were long ago overturned. You have to remember that extremely few descendents from that area are alive, and what few might be, probably don't care. 99.999% of Asians in the U.S. have no connection with that time whatsoever, nor does anyone in their family.

I think your connecting it to black/white relations, where many blacks have direct descendents that were effected by their history in the U.S. Hence, resentments get passed down from generation to generation?

Asians are more or less like African immigrants these days...they nor did their family ever experience 1800s America to carry those kinds of burdens, issues, misgivings, etc.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM

318 posts, read 625,229 times
Quote:

The Japanese skin is lighter than most Europeans. They are very white.

Now, They are not Caucasian. Caucasian is anyone from the middle east, north africa and Europe, and most Eurasian people are causasian.

Most U.S. Whites are not caucasian, they are multiethnic and have african or native american in their bloodlines. So by U.S. standards, Japanese are very "white".

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Many Asians are Caucasian. Such as those from...the Caucasus.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Asians can be half white. They are from interracial couples. Anymore brain-busters?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
The post regarding blacks in FFX made me think--why there're so many Asians in FFX?
Mostly for the same reasons that most anyone would live in Fairfax County: a durable job market, good pay and, as mentioned, good schools.

Quote:
I also noticed that there's also a large latino population in FFX. Will they be counted as white?
It depends on how they decide to classify themselves on the census or other relevant forms. I would predict that, more often than not, they would consider themselves to be Latino/Hispanic.

Quote:
In any event, why are there so many...Hispanics in Fairfax county?
Same as Asians and anyone else.

If you're new to Fairfax County or Northern Virginia in general, you will soon realize it's like the United Nations here. Makes sense given our proximity to the "Center of the Free World."

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-21-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Most U.S. Whites are not caucasian, they are multiethnic and have african or native american in their bloodlines. So by U.S. standards, Japanese are very "white".
You're 2 out of 3. Most U.S. whites do not have black or indian blood unless you're talking about the common origins of man in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: