Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times

Advertisements

We were woken up by a pair this morning of red-headed woodpeckers pecking on our roof in Falls Church! I think they live around our house because we've seen them here and there for months. They are so beautiful but a real nuisance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgatedenizen View Post
Downy Woodpeckers are very common around here. In my observation the most prevalent.
Downy Woodpecker, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Red-Bellied are the second most common that I see.

I occasionally see Pileated Woodpeckers (my favorite).
Pileated Woodpecker, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Rarely have I seen the Hairy Woodpecker here in Fairfax County. Not sure why I don't see them more often.
Hairy Woodpecker, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

I'm guessing the brown one you mention is the Northern Flicker.
Northern Flicker, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Another uncommon one that I do see sometimes is the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

And I think that would be it for NOVA woodpeckers.
Thanks for this ngd! Yeah the Downy's and Red-bellied's especially are very common and easily seen by anyone looking and listening and living near trees. But the Pileated Peckers are a rare treat, I've seen a couple in Rock Creek Forest in DC but have not seen one yet in NOVA. The legendary Woody Woodpecker was surely based on a Pileated.

Has anyone seen a Pileated Woodpecker in NOVA recently and can I ask where?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I have seen them at Lake Accotink, on the trail around the lake.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM

47 posts, read 77,970 times
We're in Annandale and see the red bellied and downey all the time, too. It helps that we have a walk-out basement, so we look into the trees and see all the activity in the branches. I believe the woodpeckers like to drill on gutters or similar metal surfaces to make the loudest noise possible. It's part of the males trying to impress the females - happens every spring.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Thanks for this ngd! Yeah the Downy's and Red-bellied's especially are very common and easily seen by anyone looking and listening and living near trees. But the Pileated Peckers are a rare treat, I've seen a couple in Rock Creek Forest in DC but have not seen one yet in NOVA. The legendary Woody Woodpecker was surely based on a Pileated.

Hidden Pond Park/Nature Center, Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield, just west of Rolling Road. Though it has been a few years since we lived adjacent to it, we frequently saw Pileated Woodpeckers along the trails there and in the woods behind the houses. And the woodpeckers did make quite a ruckus drilling on the metal siding and gutters.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 PM

169 posts, read 386,136 times
We have a couple in the woods that do some real damage to our trees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia