Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM

143 posts, read 336,050 times

Advertisements

Last time a storm was predicted, the grocery stores were mobbed with people buying water, batteries, etc. I just got back from my usual shopping at the Giant and Safeway, and the shelves were fully stocked with the usual "panic" items. (I didn't buy anything, since I still have all my stuff from last time a storm was predicted...)

Last night I made a bunch of Tupperware ice blocks, charged my electronics, etc. So am I the only one preparing for a possible storm? Maybe I'm still emotionally damaged from being without power for several days after the derecho!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Well, I kind of always have emergency stuff on hand (like water, batteries, dry food stuffs that I can easily cook, paper plates, etc). There isn't much more I can do to prepare for just a power outage in warm weather. If anything, I don't want to buy anything that can spoil or melt.

Your ice idea is a good one though. Think I will make some extra. I have a nice cooler I can put it in. I might be able to save a few things that way.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Seems like people don't get as worked up when snow's not involved. I don't remember having any warning on the last derecho being so bad, maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Since then I decided to always keep a case of bottled water in the house for emergencies. And we have toilet paper. Good to go!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Seems like people don't get as worked up when snow's not involved. I don't remember having any warning on the last derecho being so bad, maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Since then I decided to always keep a case of bottled water in the house for emergencies. And we have toilet paper. Good to go!
There was no derecho warning last time, just severe thunderstorms. It was never mentioned until after the storm passed.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 PM

303 posts, read 592,427 times
You won't be alone in preparing - not in this area LOL!

I normally have emergency back-up stuff too. We lost power also for about 14 hours with the derecho storm but that wasn't bad compared to many others. We won't starve. I will admit I made mention to my husband this morning if I should be a little concerned about this one but we shall see. I have an extra full size freezer and keep large jugs of water frozen in it.

I hate to admit this but I'm more concerned about all my beautiful flowering shrubs, trees and plants since this year has been so different from last year. I don't want them all to blow away!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM

303 posts, read 592,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I don't remember having any warning on the last derecho being so bad, maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
There was no warning! It was on top of us before anyone could do anything.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
That derecho must have totally missed Woodbridge because I never noticed it so was surprised to hear the after-action report.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That derecho must have totally missed Woodbridge because I never noticed it so was surprised to hear the after-action report.
It hit Lake Ridge pretty hard. The power was out at the Wawa on Minnieville Road for a few days.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It hit Lake Ridge pretty hard. The power was out at the Wawa on Minnieville Road for a few days.
I think I live in some weird little valley. I've been here for 18 years and we've hardly had any real teeth-rattling storms. I remember having them all the time when I lived in Maryland on the other side of the river.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
I'm not worried about it. It looks like most of the day will be nice and it's not a guarantee that a storm that bad will even materialize.

Stop focusing on whether it’s a derecho or not: it’s a serious storm risk

Lots of "ifs" and "mays".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia