Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM

157 posts, read 309,924 times

Advertisements

Situation:

We are a middle aged couple, empty nest in Fairfax, but do have children living nearby in Loudoun Co.

She works at home, although she has to go into DC at least once/week for her job.

He works near Dulles airport.

Currently renting in a very small, but too expensive "upscale" apartment in Fairfax and paying through the nose for it.

Now that she primarily works from home, we have more flexibility- but we are not familiar with the multitude of public transportation options available in farther out suburbs. She does not wish to drive into DC during the workweek, if she can avoid it.

Would like to rent a small townhouse or SFH for close to the price we are paying now ($1800), may consider more if we can rent out a finished basement to another working adult, etc.

Please make suggestions for safe neighborhoods that meet our criteria in Northern VA....

Thanks, Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,629 times
Leesburg might be a good option; there's commuter buses and the MARC train, the latter of which I heartily endorse. Plus it's close to family.

I haven't taken the buses, though so I can't speak beyond the schedules.

Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Commuter Bus Service

Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Lot Locations and Details (all the schedules from different parts of Loudoun)

Winchester, Manassas, or Frederick ARE cheaper but it would be a longer commute to Dulles/a place where the wife can take transit into DC (although the Frederick-DC or Manassas-DC commute would be okay).

Also keep in mind stuff will likely change this fall when the Silver Line opens in Reston.

Once you decide on a general area we can better advise on safe places.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 AM

367 posts, read 885,036 times
Leesburg will get you an older two level townhome in that range and *possibily* a 90's 3 level with garage, but NO SFH.
I agree leesburg is a good fit as you only have to go into DC one day a week so it's do-able and the drive to dulles is a breeze.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,599 times
I work near Dulles and my wife has to go into downtown DC once a week, so similar situation.

We live in Sterling and she liked using the Loudoun County Connector. It's a nice trip, especially if you can get her employer to subsidize the cost.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM

thanks for the replies so far. His job and our kids are on the south side of Dulles & South Riding, so maybe Manassas the VRE are a better option?

Thanks

Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,911 times
Driving Manassas to Dulles (assuming mostly up 28) wouldn't be much fun in rush hour(s).

Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM

13 posts, read 14,740 times
I agree, Leesburg sounds like a good fit. I have been here almost a year and really love it. We live in a 3 level/3 BR TH w/garage in Tavistock Farms and pay $2000/month. Going rate in this community for rentals seems to be about $2000-2200. Safety was a big issue for me because I walk my dogs at night and I feel very comfortable here. My husband has to go into DC 2x a month and there is a park and ride for the bus about 4 mins away. Before we moved into this place last year we looked at other TH's in communities in Leesburg and rentals usually ranged from $1700-2000. Some were older, and a little smaller but nice and in good areas. Look at realtor.com and put your price range in and that will give show you whats available. Another thing to take into consideration when figuring out your budget for a house are the additional expenses. Larger house=higher electric, gas, water, sewer, landscaping, pest control, etc...

Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 AM

thank you all for the helpful info....I just found out his job will relocate to Sterling - so perhaps Leesburg is a good fit...thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia