Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times

Advertisements

go to Europe in a heatwave and you will never complain about it being hot in America again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
go to Europe in a heatwave and you will never complain about it being hot in America again
Amen to that! Lived there for 6 years. There is nothing quite like your already smelly waiter dripping with sweat! Lived on the 5th floor in Italy with no AC..miserable. We flocked to the few places that did have some sort of AC.

My house here in VA is almost always set at about 67..in order to get the 3rd floor cool, we chill the rest of the house. Would love to get the AC set up to change the flow summer and winter, but rent.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
I haven't noticed stores being challenged either. They seem fine to me. Then again, it probably does boil down to personal taste (and how one is dressed). I don't know how people (especially men) can handle being dressed up in business clothes on hot days like this. I am glad my office is more casual.

I have to confess, for me I like the stores to be on the warmer side. I hate being cold and getting goosebumps when I go into a store (always happens to me in the refrigerated sections of grocery stores). But I am dressed for hot weather--like I said, I am sure it doesn't feel as comfortable to someone in a business suit and jacket.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
Maybe yesterday and today it's gotten hot. And, by hot I mean low 90s with high humidity. I've been in Houston, New Orleans and parts of Florida with high humidity. Most everywhere you get out of the muck and step into a comfortable climate controlled environment. Not here. I went to a couple of stores, Harris teeter and Tysons mall, and it was maybe in the low 80s in there with a sticky feeling throughout. What gives? Is it gonna get better? Are A/Cs in a transition mode but will eventually catch up?
I've never had any issue in the HT on Westpark or Tysons mall. If anything they are almost always frigid in the upper 60s. Dunno what to tell ya. For smaller businesses I'm sure if they pay for their elec bills they likely avoid keeping it at 70 and opt for 76 or 78 to save money, but that wouldn't be the case at Tysons mall. I've walked out of Tysons mall before and had condensation form on my glasses because of the sudden temperature change between the frigid conditions inside and the humid stickiness outside.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,548 times
*shrug* I was grocery shopping in Wegmans yesterday and was FREEZING. I haven't had any issues with places not being cool enough. And I'm pregnant, so I'm usually hot.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,588 times
While I live in MD and frequent Maryland stores more than NOVA stores, I have experienced the same lack of AC in the stores here as the original poster. Moved from the south and it's taken a while to become accustomed to how WARM most of the stores are-both in the summer and in the winter.

Harris Teeter is one of the only grocery stores which is cold enough for me, and I assumed it was because they were based in NC. I just assumed heating here much be lower cost for the businesses, and cooling must be higher cost.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,591 times
I went to Tysons yesterday and thought the mall was a bit stuffy and warmer than usual. Maybe a money-saving move?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
For the last few years, I was always freezing in Tyson's. Wished I had a sweater. But not this year. I agree that it's been a bit stuffy. Potomac Mills is much the same. Not that artic air I'm used to when shopping.

I am sort of used to it now though. Due to sequestration/budget cuts, my office is being kept at 80 degrees. It's fine as long as you don't move around much.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,505,939 times
I noticed that too when I lived in that area - the air conditioners are never turned up high enough -but where I live now is great

Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,426 times
Walmart in Haymarket.... HOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia