Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM

231 posts, read 575,693 times

Advertisements

Fairfax and Loudoun just announced closings tomorrow Thank goodness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
FCPS is closed tomorrow. Also PWCS.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
Just rebooked my flight into DCA tomorrow afternoon to Wed. Now I just need OPM to do my bidding and close tomorrow

Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candicem View Post
I'm really hoping we close tomorrow. I live in Leesburg and work in Reston. I work at a private school (I bring my kids there as well) and it would be nice to not have to drive home on the 7 with my 2 kids stuck in the crazy traffic and snow. We follow Fairfax County on the school closings. I do get off work at 3pm usually when school is out and it takes me about 40 minutes to get home, but I have no idea how long it will take in bad weather (we just moved here 2 weeks ago from Chantilly). So, I'm really hoping they announce a snow day and let us all know tonight so I'm not up getting ready at 5am and then find out that I don't have to go in. PW County already announced it.
"...drive home on the 7"? I thought you might write that you moved 2 weeks ago from California.
Enjoy your day off!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 PM

59 posts, read 90,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Some local news affiliate needs to do a piece on the actual people at OPM or wherever who make the decision as to what the Federal Government does. Does the president of MWCOG wake up and check the news, then conference call with the head of OPM and perhaps others to come to an agreement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I actually have heard that there is a group of sorts (head of OPM, head of this, head of that, the weather service, someone at Metro) and they do a conference call and reach a decision at 4AM based on the conditions at the time (what are Metro's plans, what are statuses/access to federal buildings). For a day like tomorrow, they are probably going to still do that and decide if they need to preemptively close. If they don't, I think they have those conference calls at several points during the day and then come to a consensus.

Yes this is about right. They conference at 3 AM and make the call at 4 AM or 5 AM I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
I do not understand why people freak out over this down here! I grew up in Upstate New York (near Buffalo & Rochester). That would be nothing up there, just another winter snowfall. I'm really astounded that the night before schools down here close without even seeing what may or may not come, especially since this storm isn't predicted to really come down until after 3pm, after school is out. In general this pseudo-panic that erupts in this area over any accumulation is ridiculous. Just don't drive, don't go out in it and leave the driving to those who can handle the weather. In New York we drive the speed limit or over in weather like what is predicted! And I still do, so it really frustrates me when I get behind people crawling needlessly on the roads. The number one thing to remember is don't be afraid of the weather or it will get the best of you!
Nobody is panicking, it is a practical consideration on how much time you really want to spend sitting in traffic. Commutageddon is still fresh in many people's minds here. OPM issued early release right at the same time the storm began and people ended up with 10+ hour commutes. They will hopefully issue a much earlier release tomorrow, Capital Weather Gang (WaPo) is calling for peak snow at around 4 PM tomorrow, FYI. If you can get up to the speed limit on a regular day with 0" precip. I'm impressed. If you do it tomorrow I'll assume you're nowhere near the city.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 AM

373 posts, read 821,305 times
Some of y'all just got your OPM wish.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
I do not understand why people freak out over this down here! I grew up in Upstate New York (near Buffalo & Rochester). That would be nothing up there, just another winter snowfall. I'm really astounded that the night before schools down here close without even seeing what may or may not come, especially since this storm isn't predicted to really come down until after 3pm, after school is out. In general this pseudo-panic that erupts in this area over any accumulation is ridiculous. Just don't drive, don't go out in it and leave the driving to those who can handle the weather. In New York we drive the speed limit or over in weather like what is predicted! And I still do, so it really frustrates me when I get behind people crawling needlessly on the roads. The number one thing to remember is don't be afraid of the weather or it will get the best of you!
Are you kidding? This area's traffic is so much worse than Rochester, NY on our best day. You throw in a bad snow storm and it's a nightmare. People don't freak out at the thought of snowflakes. They freak out a the thought of their 1 hr commute becoming 4 hours.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Plus add gravel roads that school buses must travel, many, many roads without curbs to keep vehicles on the road, and nowhere near the snow removal equipment northern states have...

Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I am shocked at OPM--they've gotten so "easy" on these things the past few years. But I think it was the right call. Still no day off for me as I am "telework-ready."

Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 AM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Plus add gravel roads that school buses must travel, many, many roads without curbs to keep vehicles on the road, and nowhere near the snow removal equipment northern states have...

I am not disagreeing about schools being closed, but am just wondering where there are gravel roads for school buses to travel. I am sure there are some out there, but where? I live in the midst of mega-development, so I think I am fully unaware of "what else is out there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia