Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvg92 View Post
Does anyone on here know about GMU's policy on housing for transfers.

I was told that its next to impossible to get housing as a transfers while I have also heard as long as I apply as soon as they accept applications, I am fine.
You should be fine. They always have that caveat, "first come, first serve." I moved on campus in my second semester and had no problem, even though they told me "there are no guarantees." They're also building dorms like mad. A new dorm is opened almost every semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM

91 posts, read 229,241 times
Default More Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
George Mason graduates also make more money than graduates from any other school in Virginia.
Prove it

Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1968 View Post
Prove it
There was an article that came out last year (you can search for it on the internet) that found that starting salaries of GMU grads were higher than any other VA school. That's not lifetime or even extended earning potential. Just that when GMU grads became employed, they tended to make more than their VA peers. Much of this probably has to do with the local area earning potential of the school and where most recent grads would find jobs.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:48 PM

77 posts, read 303,840 times
Quote:
You should be fine. They always have that caveat, "first come, first serve." I moved on campus in my second semester and had no problem, even though they told me "there are no guarantees." They're also building dorms like mad. A new dorm is opened almost every semester.

Well I was looking at housing and they have upperclassmen only dorms so I feel like I can get a spot.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,172,398 times
Northern VA is a commuter school, people go, and leave, or they do it online.

That said, it's a good school, doesn't carry the prestige as some other schools, as it's not very old, but in the DMV area it's plenty well known.

And fortunately, it's very close to DC, which means if you wanna hang out and have fun, just go to DC, more than enough bars, restaurants, museums, the zoo, whatever, you name it.

At the company I work at, half the employees are from GMU. Any place in the area that does hiring in the area, is going to hit GMU, it's the biggest school in VA and features pretty much every program you can imagine, save for a medical school.

Also from what I've read, they are considering expanding greatly down at the Manassas area, as they have so much undeveloped land.

It's a good school, that's only on it's way up. Location location location. DC is doing very well, so too will GMU.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1968 View Post
Prove it
Analysis Finds Wide Wage Disparities Among Virginia College Grads | American Institutes for Research

College Grads ranked by 1st year salaries:
U of Richmond: $45k
GMU: $41k
UVA: $40k
VT: $39k
VMI: $39k
ODU: $37k
JMU: $35k
VCU: $35k
W&M: $35k
UMW: $34k
Radford: $32K
CNU: $31k

I'm sure this is partially skewed by the fact that jobs in Nova pay much better than the rest of the state, but you also have to keep in mind GMU students pay like half in tuition what these other people are paying.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:30 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,305,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvg92 View Post
When I say that I am transferring there they all say "You wont be able to get a job because of all the competition from Georgetown, American and George Washington".

Is a Finance, Accounting or Marketing degree from GMU worth anything? Is GMU a good school? I dont want to be limited because of the school I went to.
pfff....i graduated from there (both BS and MS in Engineering) and now make 150k working within 30 minutes of GMU. There are more variables in play than just the school name.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:22 PM

256 posts, read 463,453 times
I am a new grad from GMU with BS in Engineering and make 80k. It is my first job and have been working less then 16 months. It is very well known school in NOVA/DC/MD region. Plus, it is a cool school environment with lots of fun. Get your bachelor here and go to John Hopkins or George Town for Master degree.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,736,297 times
Quote:
Analysis Finds Wide Wage Disparities Among Virginia College Grads | American Institutes for Research

College Grads ranked by 1st year salaries:
U of Richmond: $45k
GMU: $41k
UVA: $40k
VT: $39k
VMI: $39k
ODU: $37k
JMU: $35k
VCU: $35k
W&M: $35k
UMW: $34k
Radford: $32K
CNU: $31k

I'm sure this is partially skewed by the fact that jobs in Nova pay much better than the rest of the state, but you also have to keep in mind GMU students pay like half in tuition what these other people are paying.
This study is worse than useless, because of two astounding flaws.

1. It doesn't control for majors. UVA and Wm & Mary have a lot of liberal arts majors--but most of them go on to law, medical, business school, a master's in public policy. They will out-earn the folks from the other schools in 5-10 years but not in the immediate future. OK, so even if you omitted everyone going on to grad school, you still have different majors that earn more in the work force. Of course an IT major from JMU will earn more than a philosophy major from UVA. (Know what you call a philosphy major 10 years into their career? Barista.)

The article notes that U Richmond benefits disproportionately because it has "career-oriented programs" in IT and HR. Which shouldn't be a factor in your choice of school if you're not majoring in IT or HR.

2. According to the article, the study only includes "graduates in the workforce who are employed in Virginia." So not only does that omit those going on to advanced degrees; it also omits those who get a job overseas or in NYC, LA--or even Washington, DC! So if you get a job working for the Federal Government or a think tank in the District or Maryland, you're not counted.

Dumb study.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-18-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 AM

64 posts, read 100,972 times
It's a great commuter school. It depends on what you are planning to get your degree in as well. GMU has come a LONG way in the last 15-20 years. I recall when the Johnson Center was built, which was a big deal back in the day.

GMU's nursing, law, School of Management, music/arts, and education programs have been rated highly in recent years.

You'll find the majority of the undergrad students actually live in the area and drive in. In my program major alone, I had classmates that commuted from Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William county area.

University Mall area across Braddock is a nice mini-mall with Brion's Grill and Fat Tuesdays for a student bar area and local bands sometimes play in Fat Tuesdays. The University Mall movie theater has a discount movie day as well. Too bad Tastee Diner closed down on 123/29 intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia