Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times

Advertisements

My parents are looking to move from their current house in Leesburg to a smaller main level living house. They found a design they like in Virginia Manor. But they aren't sure if the neighborhood is good or how close they will be to everything. It definitely seems like an upcoming area and for the most part, they will need to drive 20 minutes to get to anything. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
they will need to drive 20 minutes to get to anything. Is this true?
What do you consider "everything"? Here is the list of everything it is close to...

Homes Near DC: Washington DC Metro Homes Only At Virginia Manor

Traffic on Braddock Road is awful....

Old 08-10-2014, 03:34 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What do you consider "everything"? Here is the list of everything it is close to...

Homes Near DC: Washington DC Metro Homes Only At Virginia Manor

Traffic on Braddock Road is awful....
It's really, really sad for me to see this.
I remember when Braddock Road was unpaved, and it was quite, peaceful country.
Really awful how that area has been totally destroyed seemingly overnight.
I thought they would not penetrate more than 1 mile west of Gum Spring nor south of Braddock road.

I thought Lighthouse Farm Road/Braddock Road would be saved from being paved. Sad.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:10 PM

58 posts, read 104,490 times
My favorite thing about the brochure is the blurb about "Exciting Rte 50 expansion". In other words, don't move out there because there is more traffic.

I used to love to drive through Aldie about 5 years back. Hilly, with little mom and pop stores-even then traffic was getting heavy. I can't imagine it then.

Though I was a bit jealous that for what I'm paying for a 1bdrm close to DC, I could get a 3 bd, 2 bath house with 4 level and all new appliances. But then I'd be living in Aldie.

At this rate the Washington suburbs will extend all the way to West Virginia.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardislass View Post
. . .

It already does. See this related article from the "West Virginia" discussion topics:
Eastern Panhandle politics shaping WV

Even here in Winchester -- you'd be surprised how many former folks from DC and NOVA are out here. Either they've relocated and work in the area, commute from here, or they've retired out here.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
My favorite thing about the brochure is the blurb about "Exciting Rte 50 expansion". In other words, don't move out there because there is more traffic.

I used to love to drive through Aldie about 5 years back. Hilly, with little mom and pop stores-even then traffic was getting heavy. I can't imagine it then.

Though I was a bit jealous that for what I'm paying for a 1bdrm close to DC, I could get a 3 bd, 2 bath house with 4 level and all new appliances. But then I'd be living in Aldie.

Yeh, I remember when Gum Spring Road back in 2000 was just woods, and there was only a stop sign.
Heck, as 50 goes from 2 to 1 lane past Gum Spring, you had that sign witht he picture of a telephone in 1/2, you felt you were out there!

What annoys me almost as much is how Stone Ridge/VA Manor have "Aldie" as the address, when real Aldie the mill town past Rt 15.
Arcola/South Riding would be more fitting than pretty much "Clifton-izing" the "Aldie" name so to speak.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
It already does. See this related article from the "West Virginia" discussion topics:
Eastern Panhandle politics shaping WV

Even here in Winchester -- you'd be surprised how many former folks from DC and NOVA are out here. Either they've relocated and work in the area, commute from here, or they've retired out here.
I know, which makes hard for to tell if Winchester is ROVA or NOVA.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
The only "mom and pop" stores in Aldie five years ago were west of Rt. 15, and that areas has remained (relatively) unchanged in five years. All of the expansion and construction is happening east of Rt. 15...and (actually), on the Rt 50 corridor, there won't be the cookie cutter mini-mansion and strip mall west of Watson Rd, thanks to the planned, new Gilbert's Corner Regional Park.

New Park at Gilberts Corner - Piedmont Environmental Council

Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The only "mom and pop" stores in Aldie five years ago were west of Rt. 15, and that areas has remained (relatively) unchanged in five years. All of the expansion and construction is happening east of Rt. 15...and (actually), on the Rt 50 corridor, there won't be the cookie cutter mini-mansion and strip mall west of Watson Rd, thanks to the planned, new Gilbert's Corner Regional Park.l
Route 15 west connects to Leesburg so I am wondering if it's just a matter of time.

Otherwise (and I have not looked at a topographical map), I wonder if it could be: (1) the terrain is too rough for development (mountainous), or (2) alot of the land in that area includes vineyards or farms making it a little more difficult to build on.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I know, which makes hard for to tell if Winchester is ROVA or NOVA.
It kind of doesn't really matter. Everyone out here in Winchester won't associate with either term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia