Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:29 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I lived in Alexandria, Virginia from pre-school until college, then attended a few different schools around Virginia (plus one in DC) until finally moving North in my late 20's. I'm now south in North Carolina, and will very shortly be moving up to Maryland.

Right now, I'm voting with my feet, and I vote Maryland.

I agree that the Outer Banks are great, but I don't think they really represent the state as a whole.

As for the Research Triangle/Duke area, I have to agree with xshadowx that Durham is a complete pit, and Raleigh doesn't have much going on (besides their science museum. That place is great, and free too). So that pretty much just leaves Cary and Chapel Hill standing in that part of the state -- a centerless suburb and a pretty small college-town strip. Not that much to recommend it.

The southern piedmont of North Carolina is waaaaaay Southern. And I don't mean that as a compliment. The comparative urban density of Charlotte doesn't really attenuate its Southernness (is Atlanta any less Southern because it is a city?)

I don't know much about the mountains, but then I don't know much about Western Maryland either. Asheville is cute, but then so is Frederick, MD, so I don't think one cute small town here or there is going to change my opinion one way or another.

So, I guess NC can be OK if you like that sort of thing, but I'll take Maryland over it any day.
Actually, I seem to recall reading that Cary stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM

56 posts, read 134,134 times
Just a point, since I look at a map now and again, but we also have neighbors in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. NC and MD aren't the only choices.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
West Virginia

Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Can we kick out Hampton Roads and call it East Virginia?

How did the feud between us and the 757 get started anyway?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

No, since you NoVA folks are always complaining about having to pay for RoVA's upkeep how about ya'll leave?

The feud between the 757 and ya'll started when NoVA considered Hampton Roads nothing a bunch of thugs and trash. (I lived in Hampton Roads 14 years and NoVA for 6, I know this.) Never mind NoVA residents love Hampton Roads' Virginia Beach.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Never mind NoVA residents love Hampton Roads' Virginia Beach.
Really? I thought most NoVA folks just passed through and went to the Outer Banks instead.

I'm more a fan of Maryland but it's probably more because of familiarity than anything else. I guess the Northeasterner in me is more comfortable there.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
I like them both. Asheville, NC is one of my all time favorite places. It's more liberal there than Takoma Park, yet also has a very conservative population since it's Billy Graham's home base. I love that diversity, plus the mountains there are beautiful.

We go to the NC mountains when we want to go to concerts or party with friends and to MD mountains when we want peace and quiet. Both are nice.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

What is "the 757" and what feud are you talking about?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I have lived in both MD and NC. In fact, I moved back to the DC area in August 2010 from Charlotte.

Having lived in Charlotte for almost 4 years, I think I have a pretty good sense of life there. Let me say that Charlotte is a great town...its clean, pretty safe, INEXPENSIVE for housing (well, relative to the DC area) and the people are quite nice. The down side? I found it deadly boring. Really, it is a growing, upcoming town but it has very limited dining, shopping, etc. now. Also, so many Northerners are moving down and the prices of real estate are skyrocketing.

At the same time, I am not a big fan of MD. Housing prices and taxes are out of sight and there is a fair amount of crime, etc. I prefer VA.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
No, since you NoVA folks are always complaining about having to pay for RoVA's upkeep how about ya'll leave?

The feud between the 757 and ya'll started when NoVA considered Hampton Roads nothing a bunch of thugs and trash. (I lived in Hampton Roads 14 years and NoVA for 6, I know this.) Never mind NoVA residents love Hampton Roads' Virginia Beach.
We'll just leave and take our cash money with us.

As for considering Hampton Roads thugs and trash. we can only lie to ourselves for so long, it's like having a drug addicted brother or something.

At least you guys side with us on transportation issues most of the time, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
What is "the 757" and what feud are you talking about?
757 = Hampton Roads area, aka the Seven Cities of Crime-ola.

This is one aspect of the ongoing in-state rivalry between Northern VA (NoVA) and the freeloaders also known as Rest of Virginia (RoVA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia