Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 04:04 PM

23 posts, read 56,212 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in DC with the Federal Government. We are currently living in Lovettsville but are in the process (very beginning stage) of house hunting in MD (between the Shady Grove metro and Frederick). If for some reason we aren't able to make the move before he starts his job what would his best options be for commuting into DC from here? He may be working on weekends/holidays and his shifts would probably vary as to days he works and hours. He is willing to consider any options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,546 times
Where in DC? You can get commuter buses from out in Leesburg and take them all the way into the city (or to the Silver/Orange line metro stops). For the amount that gas, wear/tear and possibly the Greenway + DTR would cost you, it's probably worth it not to be in the car forever.

http://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=228

Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaplaysflute View Post
My husband just got a job in DC with the Federal Government. We are currently living in Lovettsville but are in the process (very beginning stage) of house hunting in MD (between the Shady Grove metro and Frederick). If for some reason we aren't able to make the move before he starts his job what would his best options be for commuting into DC from here? He may be working on weekends/holidays and his shifts would probably vary as to days he works and hours. He is willing to consider any options.
That commute is going to be awful if he drives to work--which, based on schedule, sounds like what he's planning on. If he's working in DC itself, I would recommend living almost anyplace other than the 270 corridor. Nothing but miles and miles of cars at a near-standstill every morning and afternoon. The nether parts of Alexandria are relatively affordable.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
I hope is DC office is near Metro. He would likely need to take the MARC in from Point of Rocks and Metro to his office.

On off hours, he will need to drive. Since it is off hours, it will still be long, but hopefully not tedious.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM

163 posts, read 314,673 times
Maryland has some nice places up there. I lived in Clarksburg for a while and we spent a lot of time in Damascus, Hayattstown and Urbana. You have some options up there including buses from a park and ride and Marc rail, which was very unreliable IMO. The commute on 270 is as tenuous as the 66/267 commute. One person breaks down, one drop of rain, one flake of snow and you're screwed because the region loses it's collective mind.

As far as Lovettsville goes, you can zip up to Brunswick or Point of Rocks and try Marc train but again, it's very unreliable because the Brunswick line is the "step-child" of the system. The buses from Leesburg and the rest of Loudoun might be the best bet during the week and driving as little as possible would be my best advice. It being the fed gov, you will get commuting money so try to take advantage of it.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
Everyone that I've known who used the bus service had nothing but great things to say about it too. Free wifi, comfy seats, dependable, no stress, etc. I'd give that try from Leesburg to see if he likes it. If he does, it might take a little longer, but might be worth the extra time to stay where you are (if you like it) and not do the move in general! We have some neighbors who work for the government (I'm in Ashburn) who use the bus service. They love it, said it makes downtown DC easily doable.

What your husband (and you) don't want, is to be locked in that I270 spur traffic twice a day. not a good thing!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
I'll assume he'll be working the L'Enfant area since that's where most Fed employees work in DC and you didn't say exactly where. If that's true, and you are on a budget/like living that far out, I would look at some areas that are near VRE like Manassas, Bristow, Rippon, Quantico, etc.

I don't really understand why you would move to that part of MD. MARC doesn't have any stops in DC besides Union Station, unless that's where he's working. And driving from Montgomery County into downtown DC is a pain in the ass. There are no major highways.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:21 PM

23 posts, read 56,212 times
Thank you all for you help! We have already ruled out the MARC from Brunswick (we're currently only 3 miles from there) as it is not only unreliable but has a very, very limited schedule to and from DC. He took the bus from Harmony Church in for his interview and was pleased with the way that went. So it looks like until we can find a place closer in that we can afford (we have done some preliminary research into what's available in the Fairfax area - where our sons live- and that's not an option). On the days he works "off" shifts he'll drive since traffic shouldn't be too much of a problem. Tyson's metro is another option he's looking at, using the bus to get there. He is getting a commuter subsidy so that should take care of some of the cost. Again, many thanks to all of you that took the time to help!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,201 times
There is going to be a new VRE station in Dumfries soon and of course there is a station in Woodbridge. And there are sluglines in Woodbridge that drop off downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia