Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 31,810 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to NoVA and I'm considering buying a house in Bristow.
I'm surprised with how many houses are available in Braemar. Does anybody know why so many houses are available there. They look pretty good.
I've also read about New Bristol Village and big group of people living in the same house. Can anybody please confirm that. Houses also look pretty nice there.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 12:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Hi,

I know Braemar really well (I mean Bristow, including Braemar, Victory Lakes, Saybrook, etc.). It's very popular among families, the schools are good, the neighborhoods are friendly and active. It's a little bit cliquish and in a community like that, there's a certain lack of privacy.

I don't think the fact that there are a lot of houses on the market represents anything particularly negative. There is just a lot of new construction, so buyers have plenty of choice, and the resells are competing against the new construction (and since not a lot is selling anywhere, the inventory is building up). And, to some extent, it is a transient neighborhood, just in the sense that people seem to have "5 year plans" (for example) - before they will move to a new state, move from their townhouse to a sfh, etc. A good percentage of my friends there don't plan to stay for more than 5 or 10 years.

I'm not specifically familiar with New Bristol Village (maybe if I drove by I would know it), but the scenario you mentioned is not unheard of, but I didn't hear of it in Bristow, necessarily.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Thanks goldenmom7500. It's always nice to hear from locals about the area.

I'll be working in Manassas and driving around I really liked Gainsville and Bristow area as a place to live, since commuting is much easier than anybody commuting to DC.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast View Post
Thanks goldenmom7500. It's always nice to hear from locals about the area.

I'll be working in Manassas and driving around I really liked Gainsville and Bristow area as a place to live, since commuting is much easier than anybody commuting to DC.

... also look at Haymarket, very nice ...

Old 12-28-2007, 04:52 PM

566 posts, read 2,985,227 times
New Bristow Village has some nice homes, but it is being hit fairly hard by foreclosures and short sales (harder than much of the Linton Hall corridor). If I were buying in there I would buy from the builder. Their deals right now are pretty good (just be aware of what the situation is in that neighborhood). If you are looking in this area, I would suggest looking at North Gainesville and Haymarket. You'll have better resale value and a much easier commute east.

...just saw that you'll be working in Manassas and wanted to say that your commute time will be longer from this end of Gainesville/Haymarket, but not by very much.

Last edited by DavidS827; 12-28-2007 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Right, if you're looking in those areas, commuting time is incidental.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,289 times
What sort of home are you looking for.... what's your price range?

I'd personally stay away from New Bristow Village. I thought the homes were really cute from the outside (haven't been in one), but the time I drove thru the neighborhood, I wasn't too keen on how the common areas were being maintained. Can you say dead grass? I've also heard complaints about what elementary school that neighborhood feeds into.

So, I'd suggest going further north into Bristow and Gainesville. We bought a house in Morris Farm which is west on Rollins Ford Road. It's by the same builder as Braemar, but the neighborhood isn't nearly as big. We didn't drive thru Braemar until later. I thought Braemar was built out at the time, but I was wrong.

Some of the best deals out there are foreclosures that have never been lived in. There are two on my street that I think are both under $400k They are being given away!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 AM

21 posts, read 71,293 times
I know many people that live in the Braemar area. It is a good place to live with a family. As someone else said Braemar, Victory Lakes, Saybrook, Brildewood, Kingsbook, etc. are all nice places to live. Not a bad commute to manassas at all. You don't need to get on RT66. There is a new road I think sudley manor that has helped out alot or you can take devlin rd (I didn't spell that right). OR balls ford road..The school system in prince william co is great.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast View Post
I'll be moving to NoVA and I'm considering buying a house in Bristow.
I'm surprised with how many houses are available in Braemar. Does anybody know why so many houses are available there. They look pretty good.
I've also read about New Bristol Village and big group of people living in the same house. Can anybody please confirm that. Houses also look pretty nice there.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Dennis
Bristow is a nice area. I wouldn't worry too much about too many people living in one home. That was mostly caused by the huge influx of illegals, but the PWC government doesn't play games. They are getting them out pretty quick. Beyond that the home market has slowed so they aren't getting good jobs. Like i said, it's a nice area.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Thanks everybody

Wow, what a great forum! Thanks everybody for the quick reply and Happy New Year to everybody.

About school, yes, I have two children, one is a High school junior and the youngest is on elementary school. Any tips about a good school district is greatly appreciated.

I'll be going to NoVA in a week or two and I'll start looking on these area posted in the forum.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia