Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

Just give the nearest cross streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:08 AM

47 posts, read 81,784 times
Unacceptable and this place needs a visit from a health inspector

If they have a problem, then they need Orkin to come by every 24 hrs and take care of it

Old 10-03-2014, 08:37 AM

529 posts, read 750,955 times
I called the health department and provided the details. I was told that the department would order for an inspection and i was told that they get lot of such complaints for various restaurants.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:42 PM

828 posts, read 908,442 times
Thanks for doing the right thing. This is completely unacceptable.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 AM

I got a call from health department few days back to very my complaint and was told that an inspection would be done the same day.

I have been checking the website since then but don't see latest inspection. It shows last inspection done in Jan-2014.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 PM

203 posts, read 413,038 times
Wink Did you want flies with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
To-go food from a local restaurant had a small cockroach - what is the right way to handle this?
If you were in Florida, you might be able to order palmetto bugs with your meal. Palmetto bugs look almost exactly like brown roaches, except they can fly, and they are HUGE -- like 1-1/2" long (or longer, depending on the variety). And they are high in protein, too. A dozen palmetto bugs could be a hearty side dish, or a crunchy snack, for anyone who is into such "delicacies."

There's a cute palmetto bug picture right here: Palmetto_Bug

Here in Virginia though, we usually have smaller cockroaches than that. However, if you didn't like the roaches you got, there are several ways you could handle it next time:

A. Take your carry-out order right back and scream loudly so all can hear that your order was skimpy on the cockroaches (an especially effective tactic if the restaurant is busy); OR ...

B. Look for another carry-out place that serves bigger cockroaches (or more of them); OR ...

C. Ask to see the size of the restaurant's cockroaches before placing your order, to make sure you're getting your money's worth; OR ...

D. Just don't order roaches with your meal the next time. Perhaps try bloodworms instead.

On the other hand, if your objective is to have fewer cockroaches in your cuisine, then you might want to make a quick confidential phone call to your local Health Department at the first opportunity.

Health Inspectors in Virginia are very diligent, and routinely inspect restaurants once or twice a year. However, if you call about a potential health hazard, Health Inspectors respond very quickly.

Before his retirement, my brother was a Health Inspector for Fairfax County for a number of years. Whenever he was working our neighborhood, he would call and ask me if I knew of any "dirty" restaurants that needed to be "prioritized" for inspection. And he would move them to the top of his list if he thought they might have serious health issues.

The Health Inspector you call will basically do the same thing. And if your Health Inspector doesn't call you back about that inspection in the next few days, call your Health Inspector again. Keep calling every week or so until you have an answer. And don't you dare go back to that restaurant again until you have seen a satisfactory Health Inspection Report with your own eyes.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:34 AM

I called the health department to get the update on the inspection.

Looks like during the inspection, they didn't find pest issues, the restaurant provided proof for pest control etc.

There is nothing health department can do anymore. But I am sure I am done with that place.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:00 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
sounds like an Asian Restaurant for sure. Please do yourself and everyone a favor by reporting it to the HHA for a thorough investigation. This is normal in Virginia. There is one in Falls Church, VA that has cockroaches also but I am not going to name it either.
I once saw a rat scampering across the floor in an Asian restaurant in Falls Church. I won't name the retaurant but it's in the Culmore shopping center on Rt. 7. Anyone familiar with the area will know what I'm referring to.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
I called the health department to get the update on the inspection.

Looks like during the inspection, they didn't find pest issues, the restaurant provided proof for pest control etc.

There is nothing health department can do anymore. But I am sure I am done with that place.
I sure wish there were some way you could name the place. I don't want to find out the hard way. Don't do it though, you don't want to get sued.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
I'll bet I've been in more restaurants, after hours anyway, than any health inspector. If a roach or any similar insect would keep you from going to restaurants then you might want to never eat out again. I had access to many restaurants late night once they closed for training purposes and I searched hundreds in my 30 years in LE. There are many clean ones but quite a few of them are far from any of us would call "very clean."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia