Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 AM

84 posts, read 567,489 times

Advertisements

Centreville also has Westfield which if you're in Virginia Run or Sully Station is the school you'd attend...not sure where they are ranked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 08:19 AM

11 posts, read 43,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemn View Post
Centreville also has Westfield which if you're in Virginia Run or Sully Station is the school you'd attend...not sure where they are ranked.
Westfield is 13 (out of 24).

Remember this is just SAT scores, there are many other criteria. The OP should look at Elementary school rankings as well, and also consider GT programs, Special Ed Centers, etc., depending on his daughter's needs.
http://www.schoolranks.com/default.asp?UniqueURL=0

Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 AM

oh yes, I agree completely on looking at the total picture. I myself would only use the SAT scores as an initial guide and then focus more on certain areas and what each school had to offer based on my childs needs.....Lord knows I had a great education and did well in college and grad school but not so well on the SATs.!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 AM

145 posts, read 834,818 times
Default School rankings

You people are out of control with these school rankings.

Simplify it:
Do you make your kid study and do your his/her homework? School ranking is 1.
Do you let your kid play XBox all night instead? School ranking is whatever the school's average SAT scores say it is, or less.

I graduated high school in 1994, not that long ago, and back then nobody wrung their hands about school rankings. If you want to fret about schools, do so for colleges, or send your kid to one of the schools where the kids wear the school crest on their jacket pocket.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 AM

Jmarkd,.....you are way off base and I'd said you're out of control.....if you read my last comment you'd have seen that I said it was only one thing to look at when considering schools and where to live. Please do not take upon yourself to comment on mine or anyone elses children and study habits, etc. unless you have first hand knowledge what you're talking about....yes, my kids do study, in fact in my house school work takes place first before anything else. The fact that we VALUE a good education and a solid base for our children does not make us "out of control" rather I think it shows we care about our children. I could care less of my children go to an Ivy League school or not, I just want them to have a solid education and not left at the wayside struggling in an environment they shouldn't be in.....some kids are academically ready for more challenging environments and others are not.....it is a VERY individual thing....also, your comment about "crests" on sweaters is also offensive....not everyone sends their kids to private school for prestige or elite reasons....rather the small class sizes and individual attention are very attractive, in some cases necessary, for some kids.....yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you need to learn some tact in expressing it......

Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 AM

"...I just want them to have a solid education and not left at the wayside struggling in an environment they shouldn't be in.....some kids are academically ready for more challenging environments and others are not"

If that's what you want then you're fine anywhere! My point is that one school is as good as the next. If you VALUE a good education for your kids then you'll make them do their homework, and they'll be fine. The first six years, it's adding and subtracting for Pete's sake.

People are truly nuts about school rankings. Get defensive and offended all you want and huff and puff, saying things like:

"Please do not take upon yourself to comment on mine or anyone elses children and study habits, etc. unless you have first hand knowledge what you're talking about"

-but the fact remains that parents have a lot more to do with their kids' academic success than whatever school they attend.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 43,192 times
jmarkd, do you have children in school?
If so you know that the total school environment plays a HUGE part in a child's overall learning experience. This includes the attitude and achievment of a child's fellow students.

Parents can absolutely be a factor in their child's success or failure, but there is nothing wrong with becoming knowledgeable about the achievement levels of local schools when you have a choice as to where to live and buy a home. One school (or school district) is *not necessarily as good as the next. Why not arm yourself with all the information possible?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 AM

"Parents can absolutely be a factor in their child's success or failure, but there is nothing wrong with becoming knowledgeable about the achievement levels of local schools when you have a choice as to where to live and buy a home."
I agree. But your decision should not hinge on the schools themselves.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:23 PM

25 posts, read 108,421 times
Excuse me for butting in but I just wanted to ask jmarkd if he has been living under a rock his whole life. If you are not aware that the education your child gets depends largely on a school then you must have no involvement in every day life. Let me ask you, do you think that there is a reason for school rankings (i.e. Blue Ribbon schools)? I do not have any children but I do know that it is not as simple as having your child do their homework and they will succeed in life. Let's be realistic, a teacher is there to teach and if they are not doing this well, how do you expect that the student will be able to do their homework - besides of course the parents will help them, but if the parent is teaching the child every night to get through their homework, then we can't really conclude that the school system is a good school??? Not to mention that every student has their own individual learning abilities and some require much more one on one attention and help, than others. Do you not think that a student to teacher ratio would affect the education that your child is getting. If your child is in a school with a ratio of 30:1 compared to the next school over with a ratio of 15:1, I am willing to bet that SAT scores or any other rankings are better in the school with the much lower ratio.
Jmarkd, I find your comments rude and completely ignorant. I think you should reconsider how to go about voicing your opinion because if you find it necessary to insult others, it really isn't worth anybody listening to.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Moderator says....

....time to relax a bit and speak our peace rationally, without becoming overly emotional, defensive or combative.

Make your case as carefully as possible if you wish to influence readers.

Thank you.

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia