Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times

Advertisements

We live about 30 mins. outside of Atlanta and have 2 boys, both 12.

I love the bustle/museums/history of DC and all of VA. Love Delaware beaches. Love Col. Will. We lived in RVA. I don't think I miss RVA per se as much as the VA experience.

There's a good job for my husband in Winchester so there would be no commute.

Atlanta is huge and has a ton to do: all with a price tag and miles of traffic. It's thirty minutes (at least) to drive almost anywhere you're going. (Thankfully we moved next to my husband's job so he doesn't have a commute.)

Here's our wish list:

Rent house: up to $1900
Love libraries
Love dog parks and walking our dogs
Boys love playing in water parks and pools
One does piano; other guitar.
One loves theater class.
We homeschool so the district doesn't matter.
Husband is a safety nut when it comes to which neighborhood.
Friendly/non-snooty people.
We have friends of every denomination.

What do you think? My kids are balking about moving, but we haven't even been in Atlanta an entire year yet. If we move, I'd like to do it before everyone fully settles in. My husband is not thrilled w/ his job.

Thanks for any help!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 09:53 AM

166 posts, read 363,010 times
There's a great library system here: Handley Regional Library:*Locations & Hours And the architecture of Handley library is impressive. There are beautiful parks here, both within the city of Winchester (which has a dog park) and the surrrounding Frederick County. We're also not far from some great hikes, such as Shenandoah National Park. There is an indoor & outdoor pool in Winchester, and a small water park about 20 minutes north in West Virginia: JayDee's Fun There are numerous water parks in northern Virginia, and about 2 hours from here is Massanutten resort which has an indoor water park: The Massanutten WaterPark Shenandoah University is here in Winchester and has a nice theater program from what I've heard. They do summer musicals and have auditions for kids too: Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre — Professional summer stock in residence at Shenandoah University (since 1984)

Just a few tips of stuff around here. I love it here :-)

Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm5507 View Post
There's a great library system here: Handley Regional Library:*Locations & Hours And the architecture of Handley library is impressive. There are beautiful parks here, both within the city of Winchester (which has a dog park) and the surrrounding Frederick County. We're also not far from some great hikes, such as Shenandoah National Park. There is an indoor & outdoor pool in Winchester, and a small water park about 20 minutes north in West Virginia: JayDee's Fun There are numerous water parks in northern Virginia, and about 2 hours from here is Massanutten resort which has an indoor water park: The Massanutten WaterPark Shenandoah University is here in Winchester and has a nice theater program from what I've heard. They do summer musicals and have auditions for kids too: Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre — Professional summer stock in residence at Shenandoah University (since 1984)

Just a few tips of stuff around here. I love it here :-)
Thank you so much! I want to move so badly. It honestly sounds idyllic. Is that crazy?

Just a few more questions?

Do you have a Costco?
Trader Joe's?
Anything fun for 12 year olds? Like IMAX? Science Center?

Thanks again!

Alley

Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
It sounds like you'd like Winchester. Winchester is the more further out part of NoVa (some people don't consider it NoVa) so it'll be less rat-race like and probably a bit more slower pace. Probably somewhat similar to Atlanta suburbs.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:18 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Probably somewhat similar to Atlanta suburbs.
Winchester will not be similar to the Atlanta suburbs - I lived in/near Atlanta for 20 year. Winchester will be more like living in Gainesville or Rome, GA.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:44 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Thank you so much! I want to move so badly. It honestly sounds idyllic. Is that crazy?

Just a few more questions?

Do you have a Costco?
Trader Joe's?
Anything fun for 12 year olds? Like IMAX? Science Center?

Thanks again!

Alley
I can't speak to the immediate Winchester area but when it comes to IMAX and science center, you won't be far at all from the Udarv Hazy Center, part of Smaithsonian Air & Space Museum, just north of Rt. 50 at Dulles Airport, https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/. Incredible place!

Old 10-17-2015, 01:38 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Yes to Costco. No Trader Joes but a Fresh Market is opening soon.

There are a lot of home schooled children in the area so you'll have no problem finding others.

Winchester obviously is smaller than Atlanta but it's a delightful area. Use the search feature to read about it and then you can ask specific questions.

Best of luck.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:32 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
It's thirty minutes (at least) to drive almost anywhere you're going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
you won't be far at all from the Udarv Hazy Center, part of Smaithsonian Air & Space Museum, just north of Rt. 50 at Dulles Airport
Choff5's definition of not "far at all" seems to be longer than your lament that everything in Atlanta is at least a 30 minute drive. It will be an hour hour drive from Winchester to Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum with no traffic.

If you move to Winchester your new norm for driving to all that the DC area has to offer your kids may become an hour (or more).

Why don't you consider Leesburg? It is closer to the things your boys will want to do, but still out and away from the big city. Kind of like living in Alpharetta or Peachtree City, GA.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:29 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I agree that Udvar Hazy is NOT "not far at all" - plus you have to pay admission (not sure if that matters to OP or not), but it's not like a place to continue going to.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree that Udvar Hazy is NOT "not far at all" - plus you have to pay admission (not sure if that matters to OP or not), but it's not like a place to continue going to.
Sorry, "not far" was most likely misleading but I was thinking of it in comparison to getting down to the Mall in DC. Also, technically it is free admission BUT they get you on $15 parking if you get there before 4:00 pm. Granted, anyone coming from a distance is not going to wait until 4:00 to show up for an hour and a half before closing. . If your work is in Winchester then it makes sense to live there. If you are homeschooling then some of your children activities can possibly work around rush hours if you need to venture in. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia