Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:29 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
agreed. Given the option, I'd go Rippon to be closer to shopping
How bad are these schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:16 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Exclamation Schools and VRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How bad are these schools?
Which level of schools? In lake ridge, the elementary and middle are excellent with the only drop at high school. With new school just starting this fall, the " spreading " effect on high school students hasn't been measured yet.

With regard to VRE, there are commuter buses in walking distance or very short drives that beat the VRE times to most destinations that the VRE travels. Union station would probably be a VRE winner but crystal city, pentagon, state depart all do better with commuter buses than the VRE ( departing from woodbridge).

Unlike areas such as Burke VRE or Bradock, the woodbridge VRE is similar to Springfield in that most people drive to the station since there aren't many houses built around the station. The VRE has travel time to the station, parking, walking to platform, then waiting on train/ loading.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Which level of schools? In lake ridge, the elementary and middle are excellent with the only drop at high school. With new school just starting this fall, the " spreading " effect on high school students hasn't been measured yet.

With regard to VRE, there are commuter buses in walking distance or very short drives that beat the VRE times to most destinations that the VRE travels. Union station would probably be a VRE winner but crystal city, pentagon, state depart all do better with commuter buses than the VRE ( departing from woodbridge).

Unlike areas such as Burke VRE or Bradock, the woodbridge VRE is similar to Springfield in that most people drive to the station since there aren't many houses built around the station. The VRE has travel time to the station, parking, walking to platform, then waiting on train/ loading.
Is Woodbridge High bad? I always thought it was pretty good but I'm not very familiar with it.

OP, if you're concerned about schools, you should look into the Lake Ridge part of Woodbridge.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Is Woodbridge High bad? I always thought it was pretty good but I'm not very familiar with it.

OP, if you're concerned about schools, you should look into the Lake Ridge part of Woodbridge.
Woodbridge high ( really in Lake Ridge) is fine but many on here want to compare to high schools to Robinson secondary or South County. Woodbridge high is a fine school and with a 33% drop in students who went to new high school, over crowding is no longer an issue either.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:01 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
My DD went to Woodbridge High. It's not that great and *she* wouldn't recommend it to you. I think Osbourn Park, Hylton, Forest Park are all better.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM

91 posts, read 111,462 times
When we lived in Woodbridge we were fine with living there, in fact I'd say that crowd is more friendly then some other Nova areas we've lived in. There was a personal goal of leaving before the kids made it to High School though.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:32 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post

I have family friends who sent their kids to Woodbridge and have had ok experiences. I've always believed you could get at least a solid education at any high school in Northern VA, it is more a question of what you want to put with to get it. Schools like Woodbridge, Mount Vernon, TC Williams, and Wakefield have the same profile, solid curriculum and teachers but has the challenge of teaching a lot of kids from a lower socioeconomic background.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 PM

Keeping in mind that Woodbridge high school is in lake ridge and that Gar- field high school is farther east and is in a separate category. There are some really nice neighborhoods that feed into Gar-field (Omisol being one) that probably do not plan on sending their kids to high school there. I haven't seen that type of reaction from the Woodbridge high school.

There are great schools too - John Paul IV, which is private. Highly rated school.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:08 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Keeping in mind that Woodbridge high school is in lake ridge and that Gar- field high school is farther east and is in a separate category. There are some really nice neighborhoods that feed into Gar-field (Omisol being one) that probably do not plan on sending their kids to high school there. I haven't seen that type of reaction from the Woodbridge high school.

There are great schools too - John Paul IV, which is private. Highly rated school.
Yeah, Gar-Field is quite another category. My son ended up going to JP due to us not wanting to use the public high school we were zoned for.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsubarbsadvice View Post
Hi!! Is Woodbridge VA safe? Not fimilar with the VA side.... Thanks!!!
One of the great things about Virginia's DC suburbs is that safety is almost never an issue. The entire area is really safe, so when choosing an area to live you are much better off focusing on the quality of the school district and commute length. Also, in my general experience, the better the school district the lower the number of crimes that are reported in any particular area in NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia