Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:32 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times

Advertisements

Posting this for those in the future who may be looking for reviews.

We've had Fios for six years. We were happy with it till recently, when a billing error has become a nightmare.

Long story short, VZ thinks we have a second set-top box (STB), and I can't get this corrected in their system, no matter how many hour-long phone calls or online chats I endure with with their customer service people--who, by the way, are all in India.

Even when I had one of their techs come out to replace a malfunctioning outdoor relay box--he couldn't help with this. He had no "special phone number" for elevated customer service, and I couldn't just walk him through the house to show him we only have one STB.

It's a simple problem with a simple fix. But every CSR tries to fix the problem and claims they have--and then I see on the bill that it didn't work.

So here is what you need to know if you're looking for a TV/internet provider:

1. There is no easy way to report a problem--no email address to contact. Even getting a chat window is very hard to find on the VZ website. Every "Contact Verizon link" sends you to a phone number (which will put you in touch with someone overseas) OR a forum made up of other users.

2. The CSRs are not able to fix things. They mean well, and they try--but it just doesn't work. My bill is now a confusing nightmare of partial credits but still that persistent charge for equipment I don't have. The one time I asked for a supervisor, I got put on hold forever and finally hung up.

3. I have nothing against people in India; they need jobs too. But customer service is one area that should be handled by native English speakers. The language barrier is a problem, even though their English is relatively good. With every call, I can tell they're not really listening to me and getting what the problem is.

I also think Verizon is betraying the American people by outsourcing all these jobs while raking in tons of money and paying its CEO more than $18 million for 2016.

When our contract is up, I'm going with Comcast or RCN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:37 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,675 times
I had a really bad billing experience with Verizon FIOS a few years ago too and swore I would never use them again afterwards (which didn't last - I have them now). Their customer service was atrocious. The way I finally got it resolved was by filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Finally, some local guy got in contact with me and was able to resolve it, although it even took him several weeks. But, at least I had his direct phone number and didn't have to deal with the idiot customer service reps on the 800 number.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:44 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Sorry for you troubles, but the grass isn't greener.......I refuse to use Comcast due to a "theft" incident where they continued to deduct money from my checking account after I stopped services. I was told I would get it back in 90 days.

They all suck.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:45 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times
Are there grounds for believing that these other companies would somehow be better? We switched from COX to Verizon for cable/internet as soon as we could and have never looked back. While everyone complains about the weather and their cable service, we've found Verizon customer service people to be quite helpful, wherever they are located.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:45 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Carlingtonian.

They all come with issues. I don't use Twitter but I keep hearing where companies respond quickly when customers complain on Twitter. You never know.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:59 AM

70 posts, read 84,489 times
I've had it for almost 9 years. Pay an obscene amount for it, but it is up 99% of the time, which is something I couldn't say for Cox in Fairfax or Time Warner back in NY. I won't even count that awful excuse for an ISP, OpenBand, which has a de facto monopoly where it is installed thanks to a shady builder.

If you do have an issue, their customer service is downright terrible though. It took me months to return equipment as well, because I wanted them to send me a box with a label for the devices so it would be tracked on their end, as opposed to me just dropping it off somewhere. I feared exactly what you are experiencing. After 3-4 useless CSRs, I finally returned the boxes (switched to Tivo...superior service by the way and pays for itself in fees you don't pay Verizon).

I've also used their Twitter support and it is superior to the phone. My main box died and they quickly dispatched someone to get it fixed (for free...which always surprises me). Unfortunately their Twitter support couldn't do billing issues and had to refer me to the usual hapless phone support who told me the third version of their "policy" in as many attempts to resolve an issue.

I have Comcast available at my house as well, but I figure they are probably just as bad, and potentially not as reliable. When I move and can consider getting a contract or some other promo, I'll probably see who is cheapest and cross my fingers it doesn't get screwed up.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I had a really bad billing experience with Verizon FIOS a few years ago too and swore I would never use them again afterwards (which didn't last - I have them now). Their customer service was atrocious. The way I finally got it resolved was by filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Finally, some local guy got in contact with me and was able to resolve it, although it even took him several weeks. But, at least I had his direct phone number and didn't have to deal with the idiot customer service reps on the 800 number.
Thanks, Airjay. BBB might be the next step for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Sorry for you troubles, but the grass isn't greener.......I refuse to use Comcast due to a "theft" incident where they continued to deduct money from my checking account after I stopped services. I was told I would get it back in 90 days.

They all suck.
Wow, that's crazy. I would just cut the cord completely, except you have to get internet from someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Carlingtonian.

They all come with issues. I don't use Twitter but I keep hearing where companies respond quickly when customers complain on Twitter. You never know.
Thanks, Bigfoot. I don't do Twitter, either. Maybe I should start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
...If you do have an issue, their customer service is downright terrible though. It took me months to return equipment as well, because I wanted them to send me a box with a label for the devices so it would be tracked on their end, as opposed to me just dropping it off somewhere. I feared exactly what you are experiencing.
Interesting. The tech who came by last week to replace the outdoor box told me it's better to drop off equipment in person, so you can get a receipt for it.

I've actually had them send me umpteen empty boxes I don't need--all to return the nonexistent second STB! I had an evil idea to mail them back loaded with some old ankle weights, so that they get charged $100 for shipping, but that might backfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
After 3-4 useless CSRs, I finally returned the boxes (switched to Tivo...superior service by the way and pays for itself in fees you don't pay Verizon).
Good to know, thought it sounds like (from the rest of your post) you have Comcast for internet. I'm almost willing to roll the dice on that, though I would prefer to avoid these companies altogether. The aggravation just isn't worth it.

If my workplace didn't block so many internet sites, I would even consider ditching home internet completely and just doing all online financial stuff from work. (Not going to do that stuff over wifi.)

BTW, this is interesting--a professor in NY state describes his similarly bad experience when he tried to renew. (He switched to RCN.)https://town-village.com/2014/07/18/...wal-nightmare/

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-04-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 11:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,331,422 times
Go to the Fair Oaks mall Verizon/FiOS store and see what you can do there.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:52 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,595 times
Have you tried going to a physical store instead of just whining about it online? They could probably fix this in 10 minutes.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
If you think Verizon FIOS wets the bed on customer service, wait until you get Crapcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia