Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 20,527 times

Advertisements

We will relocating to NOVa in the summer for my husband to take a job at Fort Belvoir. After looking on the internet I feel really confused on where to live. We have 2 elementary school aged children and would like a great school but don't want a more than a 40-50 minute drive. Could anyone give any advice on where would be the best areas to look at living?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times
Read:

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/2265094-relocating-near-fort-belvoir-questions.html[/url]

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/2404378-moving-job-fort-belvoir-need-help.html[/url]

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/2683794-working-ft-belvoir-live-where.html[/url]

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/2619847-fort-belvoir-relocation.html[/url]

Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,934 times
Lorton, VA is nice and very close to the base.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:42 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNic2008 View Post
We will relocating to NOVa in the summer for my husband to take a job at Fort Belvoir. After looking on the internet I feel really confused on where to live. We have 2 elementary school aged children and would like a great school but don't want a more than a 40-50 minute drive. Could anyone give any advice on where would be the best areas to look at living?

Thank you
What is your budget?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 PM

We would like to rent and not go over $2500 a month

Old 02-10-2017, 11:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNic2008 View Post
We would like to rent and not go over $2500 a month
For that price range and short drive, Lake Ridge, Rippon, Montclair (all just south of Ft Belvoir) all have 3 and 4 bedrooms in that rental range that are SFHs vs. Townhouses, condos or apartments along with a yard. Travel time would be under 30 minutes and quite favorable for elementary schools.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:03 AM

406 posts, read 625,583 times
I have a bias opinion, but I live in Kingstowne and love it. Our boys go to Lane Elementary. The teachers are very friendly, and the school meets our expectations for Northern Virginia public school.

Kingstowne one of the largest subdivision in the area. Amenities include two swimming pools, two fitness centers, four tennis courts, more than 1.5 miles of paved walking paths, and a few minutes away from the main gate.

Are you looking for a single family or townhome? How many bedrooms?

Disclaimer: Any advice given on this thread does not constitute an agency relationship.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
I have a bias opinion, but I live in Kingstowne and love it. Our boys go to Lane Elementary. The teachers are very friendly, and the school meets our expectations for Northern Virginia public school.

Kingstowne one of the largest subdivision in the area. Amenities include two swimming pools, two fitness centers, four tennis courts, more than 1.5 miles of paved walking paths, and a few minutes away from the main gate.

Disclaimer: Any advice given on this thread does not constitute an agency relationship.
I don't really mind if its a townhouse or single family but I would I need 3 bedrooms, a fourth would be a plus for visitors but not a deal breaker. Kingstowne sounds very nice, what is the distance to Fort Belvoir?

Old 02-11-2017, 09:34 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post

Lake ridge has all the same amenities with 7 free pools, countless tennis and basket ball courts, a new astroturf rec field, two free marinas, Golf course,etc. etc.

Plus many 4 bedroom, single family homes ( not townhouses) on 1/4, to 1/2 acre lots for $2,500 rent.
Some even 5 bedroom but pushing $3,000. Elementary schools are all within walking distance.

15-25 min to gate depending on which one.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:30 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,675 times
Call me skeptical, but I have a hard time believing that the typical commute from Lake Ridge to Ft. Belvoir is 15-25 minutes. Maybe without any traffic. OP should know that the stretch of 95 between Woodbridge and the Fairfax County Parkway is routinely very congested, as are the alternate roads one might use to avoid 95. It can also be very unpredictable - all it takes is one minor accident to cause significant ripple effects. I'm sure that can be managed, in part, if you have flexible work hours and can go in early or if you want to pay tolls to use the express lanes. Before settling on Lake Ridge, I'd check out travel times on Google Maps using their typical traffic feature and/or test out the commute yourself to see if it will work for you. Kingstowne, on the other hand, will provide you about as short of a commute as you can get to Ft. Belvoir. Your budget won't buy you as much house, so it's all about what trade offs OP wants to make. But, I think the trade-off is not just 10-20 minutes of commuting time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia