Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM

82 posts, read 567,578 times

Advertisements

Hello All

You may have seen some of my earlier posts. Short story is the wife and I and 39 week old twins currently live in DC. We both work in DC. Now that we have kids we have started to think about the future and where we would like to live as a family. My current list of places to visit includes Arlington, City of Fall Church, Burke and Bethesda, MD (around the Carderock area). Arlington/Bethesda/City of Falls Church I am pretty sure we will like because they offer some walkability and older neighborhoods but I realize we may be able to get a little more in and around Burke and the VRE makes it commuter friendly. So I thought the family should take a road trip this weekend and check out Burke. Since we both would have to commute I would prefer to be accessible to the VRE. Are there any older parts near Burke? If I'm not mistaken I thought a few weeks ago the Examiner ran an article about an older area near Burke that has managed to maintain its older small town appeal, but it may have been further out. Please let me know your suggestions and places where I should take wife to help convince her Burke could be the right fit for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 08:02 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
There is a VRE station in Burke....Roberts Rd. They are building a new parking garage to greatly increase capacity. There really are no old parts of Burke that are still old...with the exception of the Silas Burke House. Burke is mainly a huge development called Burke Centre. It's very nice but typical suburbia....not really walkable.

Of the places you mentioned, I think Burke gives the most bang for the buck.

The place you mentioned reading about must be Clifton/Fairfax Station. It starts on the other side of Fairfax County Parkway/Ox Rd. This ia a VERY nice area...rural, but very close to VRE...huge lots (often 5+acres), lots of horses, winding country roads and pretty expensive. But again, not walkable.

The Town of Clifton is charming, but small. Definitely walkable. They have numerous events every year, like home tours, holiday events, etc. George Will and Nancy Reagan used to have lunch at a restaurant on Main Street.

Definitely worth a look-see.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
yea definately find a place near the VRE. You can save a lot of miles on your car and it's ultra convienent. I have been riding for a few years now.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Burke is a great area - no old areas - everything is fairly new - lots of parks, lakes and beautiful walking trail - most developments have their own parks and some have lakes. No downtown though.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 AM

so there is nothing similar to a Reston Town Center type area in Burke?..not that Reston Town Center provide that’s old neighborhood charm, but it does add to the vibe and provide and outlet for some walkability.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
No Reston Town center type of thing in Burke - but Reston Town center is nothing like what a good ole homey downtown - it is more of a plastic yuppie overpriced type town center

Where I used to live up North mostly every town had a downtown....

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 AM

I guess I'm going to have to add Frederick, MD to my list of places to check-out and put a strike through Burke. I wonder why they designed it like that. You'd think they would have learned by now. Take Tysons for example, its number one flaw is it gets a 0 for walkability and pedestrian friendliness and that’s all people complain about. For all Tysons greatness it could have been even better if the urban planners had got it right. Burke is more recent and they should have caught on by its time.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I'd be a member of the choir you're preaching to in terms of walkable communities with vibrant downtowns. However, I'll also play devil's advocate and say that there are a number of people who prefer cul de sacs tucked away from the life essentials at strip malls.

I don't recall your other threads so I don't know where you and/or your wife will be working. That will play a monumental factor in your commute. But if you're willing to trek out to Frederick, you may also want to look at Loudoun County communities like Ashburn or South Riding. Others here can give you more detail on those towns. Also, giving a little love to the MD side, you might like the King Farm community in Rockville or even the Kentlands New Urbanist community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC resident View Post
I guess I'm going to have to add Frederick, MD to my list of places to check-out and put a strike through Burke. I wonder why they designed it like that. You'd think they would have learned by now. Take Tysons for example, its number one flaw is it gets a 0 for walkability and pedestrian friendliness and that’s all people complain about. For all Tysons greatness it could have been even better if the urban planners had got it right. Burke is more recent and they should have caught on by its time.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 PM

144 posts, read 335,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC resident View Post
Hello All

You may have seen some of my earlier posts. Short story is the wife and I and 39 week old twins currently live in DC. We both work in DC. Now that we have kids we have started to think about the future and where we would like to live as a family. My current list of places to visit includes Arlington, City of Fall Church, Burke and Bethesda, MD (around the Carderock area). Arlington/Bethesda/City of Falls Church I am pretty sure we will like because they offer some walkability and older neighborhoods but I realize we may be able to get a little more in and around Burke and the VRE makes it commuter friendly. So I thought the family should take a road trip this weekend and check out Burke. Since we both would have to commute I would prefer to be accessible to the VRE. Are there any older parts near Burke? If I'm not mistaken I thought a few weeks ago the Examiner ran an article about an older area near Burke that has managed to maintain its older small town appeal, but it may have been further out. Please let me know your suggestions and places where I should take wife to help convince her Burke could be the right fit for us.
I grew up in Burke...Burke Station Square is a great neighborhood with VRE. Located off of Rolling and Burke Rd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia