Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 AM

540 posts, read 792,192 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to the DC area I rented a room in a house in Greenway Downs. It was a pleasant neighborhood. When we starting looking to buy, that was one of the first places I checked out. The big problem (for me at least) was that it was full of 1950s Cape Cods, and I just don't like that style. On an investment/appreciation standpoint, it was slammed in the housing meltdown from 07-09, but has rapidly rebounded, so I'm not sure that the area is likely to see a big run-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:26 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,035,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Those are crickets, not roaches...
No, Hal, they are cockroaches. Worms and scorpions are popular at street stalls as well. Have you ever actually been to Thailand?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:33 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,035,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
When I first moved to the DC area I rented a room in a house in Greenway Downs. It was a pleasant neighborhood. When we starting looking to buy, that was one of the first places I checked out. The big problem (for me at least) was that it was full of 1950s Cape Cods, and I just don't like that style. On an investment/appreciation standpoint, it was slammed in the housing meltdown from 07-09, but has rapidly rebounded, so I'm not sure that the area is likely to see a big run-up.
In some ways, Greenway Downs is similar to Pimmit Hills, a larger area at the opposite end of Falls Church City. Smaller, older homes, stable community, well-located. But the buzz of Tysons gives Pimmit Hills an upside driver that Greenway Downs pretty much lacks. It's still a nice even if simple area though.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,984,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
No, Hal, they are cockroaches. Worms and scorpions are popular at street stalls as well. Have you ever actually been to Thailand?
100 food stalls within 300 meters of my condo, only crickets, no Scorpions. Heard about the Scorpions, but they are as rare as a straight priest. ...711 sells crickets too.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 08-09-2017 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 12:23 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,105,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
In some ways, Greenway Downs is similar to Pimmit Hills, a larger area at the opposite end of Falls Church City. Smaller, older homes, stable community, well-located. But the buzz of Tysons gives Pimmit Hills an upside driver that Greenway Downs pretty much lacks. It's still a nice even if simple area though.
True, but different feel. Pimmit Hills had/has less attractive older homes on larger lots, and is the least expensive single-family neighborhood zoned for a highly rated high school (Marshall), while Greenway Downs has more attractive homes on smaller lots and is zoned for a lower rated high school (Falls Church).

Pimmit Hills has been getting touted for years because of the proximity to Tysons and the teardown potential, so the upside potential is arguably now baked into current prices, whereas Greenway Downs has been flying under the radar, even though it's still relatively close to Tysons and closer to DC than Pimmit Hills. I could see Greenway Downs appreciating some more when Falls Church HS gets renovated in a few years, particularly if Arlington continues to experience school overcrowding.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:26 AM

318 posts, read 368,489 times
Wrong school zone, bad sized lots, worse than pimmit hills , pass

Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,924,445 times
I did pass, for the record. Thanks for the help all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia