Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:19 AM

239 posts, read 673,802 times

Advertisements

Ok, many people say listing a home in the spring time is the best but timing doesn't work out so perfectly all the time. I much would not like to find temporary housing for 6 months just so I can list the house in March. Or should I? I also do not want to occupy the house while it's on the market.

Is listing a house in the midsummer months that bad? Will it sit on the market an extra month or two? Sell for 5 pct less?

This is a house in the Fairfax Vienna area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Buyers in the Fairfax-Vienna area are apt to be families keen on getting settled into a new home before school starts (August 28). A summer listing should be right up the alley of many.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,229 times
The issue with listing in late July and August is if it languishes on the market going into September/October or god forbid November/December. If you are realistic in your pricing and your house is in good shape, I wouldn’t see an issue with listing early July.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:21 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
You will hit the fall market. Spring market, which starts the end of January or beginning of February? is the best market.

Fall market is the second best.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Listed our house in Purcellville the first week of June. Three full price offers, one with accelation clause, the first day.

Houses that are in good condition and priced right sell all year round.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:43 PM

529 posts, read 750,955 times
It depends on your community, your house condition and how reasonable your price is.

Also, you can check Redfin and other realtor sites to see the history. You can search for sold houses in your community that were listed last July and see how long they were in the market.

If the community/zoned schools are in high demand, people wouldn't mind buying a home that late in the summer and keep 30-40 days to close the house.

You may also want to consider listing your house before July, you don't have to show your house empty. If it's a small house, showing an empty house would appear to be a bigger house. Your realtor would give you more tips.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:30 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Listed our house in Purcellville the first week of June. Three full price offers, one with accelation clause, the first day.

Houses that are in good condition and priced right sell all year round.
I tend to agree with this. The common reason for listing SFH in spring is because that's when families will want to start looking, since they won't move during the school year. But I think in this area the housing market is so strong that you'll be ok any time of year. There is also less competition(lower inventory) in the slower months.

We live in Vienna and a house across the street went on sale in October. The first weekend open house had some huge foot traffic. The only reason it didn't go under contract instantly was it was priced a little high but it still didn't last too long and got a contract immediately after their first 25k price drop.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:24 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
If priced right and in good shape, with a proper marketing plan/pictures, you'll be fine.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:01 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Often, "priced right" means that the seller is willing to leave a pile of money on the table in hopes of achieving a quick sale. This may or may not be a savvy strategy.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Often, "priced right" means that the seller is willing to leave a pile of money on the table in hopes of achieving a quick sale. This may or may not be a savvy strategy.
I believe this is untrue, I believe pricing your home right usually gets you the most money while studies show pricing the home too high loses more money that pricing it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: