Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:38 AM

21 posts, read 77,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
Hi, Thanks for the replies and some idea on the drive.
To be precise, seminary road in falls church to Godwin drive in Manassas. Mostly driving on 66.
Morning , am I looking at 30 mintues or so?
Evening is an hour or so?? I will drop the idea of staying there if both ways commute is more than 45 minutes..

I was getting a chance to stay in a high rise condo for the first time, so was thinking if it was worth itt

Thanks a lot
BTW, is there any alternate route other than I 66, I will be new to the area so dont know
Hey, I communte to and from Godwin drive all the time and there are primary two major employers there. Any chance that we are coworker??

To answer your question, you'll be better off living in Reston than in Falls Church. I know what you are talking about as I was looking at high-rise too but Fall Church is simply too far away. But if you are single and you want to live closer to DC, Fall Church would be a better choice if you don't mind driving an hour or so to and from work every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 15,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaforcex View Post
Hey, I communte to and from Godwin drive all the time and there are primary two major employers there. Any chance that we are coworker??

To answer your question, you'll be better off living in Reston than in Falls Church. I know what you are talking about as I was looking at high-rise too but Fall Church is simply too far away. But if you are single and you want to live closer to DC, Fall Church would be a better choice if you don't mind driving an hour or so to and from work every day.
Thanks for all the replies,
I took the place in Centreville and I am liking it here. 20-25 min ..but on 6 min on the highway
still manageable..

thanks again

Old 01-20-2007, 09:04 PM

48 posts, read 192,956 times
Hi Eagan, I live in Manassas and my husband works at Micron (which I'm guessing may be where you are commuting to). Thought I would share my thoughts on the area. As others have pointed out you will be travelling opposite to the bulk of the commute traffic, but the traffic will still busy even in the opposite direction at those times of the day. From Centreville, the most direct route to Godwin would be Centreville Rd (Rte 28), but it is busy in both directions most of the day and has dozens of traffic lights along it's length. I66 is less direct but has no lights until you have to exit onto 234 (Sudley Rd) to head into Manassas. Sudley Rd is busy at any time of the day.

Living in Falls Church (vs Manassas or Centreville) has the advantage of being closer to DC and all the culture, restaurants etc that area provides. Manassas and Centreville are pretty much just suburbia, with strip malls and chain restaurants and not a whole lot of culture or nightlife. Now before anyone shoots my last comment down, Manassas does have its own dance company and there are a couple of good local restaurants but it just doesn't compare to the variety of entertainment or dining options available in DC. However, since you will be spending the majority of your week at work (and commuting), you should consider how much you are likely to take advantage of the Falls Church location. Perhaps it may be better to live close to work and "commute" on your days off to the things you want to do?

Another plus to living further out from DC is that it has closer access to things like national parks, mountain bike trails, horse riding etc if you are keen on any of those sorts of things. We generally go into DC about once or twice a month - catching the Metro train from Vienna-Fairfax station. (The station is about a 15-20min drive from here and the train trip about 35min to DC).

You haven't really indicated why the high-rise option appeals to you, or whether you were planning on buying or renting. If you are planning on renting and are still unsure where to go then I would suggest you give Falls Church a try for 6 months. That will give you ample time to decide if you like high rise living "close to the city" and how much you can tolerate the commute. There is plenty of rental accomodation available in both Centreville and Manassas so finding another place if the Falls Church option doesn't work out shouldn't be any problem. We live in a really nice 2 bedroomed apartment that is literally 5 minutes from work - my husband even comes home for lunch a couple of days a week. The last job he had was an hour commute each way from home, so when we moved to Virginia, living close to work was very appealing.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,576 times
Not sure if you tried this or not, but take 66 to the 234 bypass to 28N. I'm on that route quite a bit in the mornings and there isn't ever trafiic.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 15,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
Not sure if you tried this or not, but take 66 to the 234 bypass to 28N. I'm on that route quite a bit in the mornings and there isn't ever trafiic.
Thanks Aussie American and DavidS

I take 29 to 66 - sudley road - godwin drive
It has been taking me 20-25 minutes.
I am not sure if I can cut it shorter. I have tried 234 and prince william pkwy.It takes the same time.
But only 5 min on 66 and rest in lights just kills me. i guess there is no other option.
28 will be full of lights.

Thanks again.. Yeah it does feel good to be close to work. AT my previous company it took 15 min. It fel much better. but anyways it is not bad.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
www.trafficland.com has half a dozen cameras on I-66 between Falls Church and Manassas. You could see for yourself what's up. Basically, traffic on every road everywhere in the DC area is in the really bad to awful range during rush hour, which is pretty much 5-10am and 3-8pm. Keeping the commute manageable has to rank up there in like the top three things to consider when decidng how to set up in this area.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 AM

21 posts, read 77,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
Thanks Aussie American and DavidS

I take 29 to 66 - sudley road - godwin drive
It has been taking me 20-25 minutes.
I am not sure if I can cut it shorter. I have tried 234 and prince william pkwy.It takes the same time.
But only 5 min on 66 and rest in lights just kills me. i guess there is no other option.
28 will be full of lights.

Thanks again.. Yeah it does feel good to be close to work. AT my previous company it took 15 min. It fel much better. but anyways it is not bad.

Thanks
You could take 29 to Groveton Rd and then turns right on Balls Ford Rd to 234 and exit University Blvd. There are usually not many traffic there and not many stop lights. I hate all the stop lights from Sudley to Godwin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia