Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 15,607 times

Advertisements

Hi, My job will be in Manassas, I am considering a place in Falls church which is very nice, and another is in centreville. I am weighing the commute problem between Falls church and manassas. Is it too bad?
I will be driving at 7 in the morning and about 5:30-6 in the evening.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 27,171 times
You'll be going opposite traffic both times. Shouldn't be too bad. Cville is much easier but depends on which area you like better.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 PM

Default commute- manassas to falls church

Thanks for the reply.

Can anybody give me some idea how many minutes I am looking at on a regular weekday.,
from falls church to manassas in the morning
and manassas to FC in evening-
I will have to reconsider if drive is going to be more than 35-40 minutes,

Thanks for your help!

Preeti

Old 12-21-2006, 07:19 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,787 times
It will depend on where in Falls Church you are coming from and where in Manassas you are going. As an average, I would say an hour. Traffic on 234 in Manassas can get very heavy. If that's too long, I would consider moving to Prince William or Fauquier county.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:26 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,698 times
In Falls Church, you pay a premium for its proxmity to D.C. and Metro. If you are in the City of Falls Church (rather than the area of Fairfax County known as Falls Church), you are paying an even higher premium for the well-regarded schools. Unless you want to live near DC for the museums, restaurants, nightlife, etc., you will probably get more for your $$ in Centreville and an easier commute. The commute from Falls Church to Manassas would be against traffic, for the most part, but I-66 can be maddeningly jammed even going against traffic, and there are increasing numbers of employment centers in the Dulles and Tysons areas that draw workers from Arlington, DC and Md who will be joining you in your reverse commute.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Hi, Thanks for the replies and some idea on the drive.
To be precise, seminary road in falls church to Godwin drive in Manassas. Mostly driving on 66.
Morning , am I looking at 30 mintues or so?
Evening is an hour or so?? I will drop the idea of staying there if both ways commute is more than 45 minutes..

I was getting a chance to stay in a high rise condo for the first time, so was thinking if it was worth itt

Thanks a lot
BTW, is there any alternate route other than I 66, I will be new to the area so dont know

Old 12-21-2006, 08:39 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,787 times
I checked several different street addresses on mapquest and it says 41 minutes each way (30.60 miles). With accidents, traffic lights and construction I wouldn't count on anything less than that and would prepare for more.

There are other ways to get there, but none more direct or as consistent.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
Yeah, unfortunately a commute from Falls Church to Manassas in the morning and reverse in the evening will still run you over 45 minutes; most likely an hour or a bit more each way. I would go for Centreville just due to commuting issues.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:00 PM

23 posts, read 100,806 times
If you are interested in a high rise and don't want the commute that Fall Church will certainly bring, take a look in Reston. There are some REALLY nice condos for rent and the commute would be about 30 mins. Take a look at The Carlton House - very upscale.

I just looked and there is one 1BR unit for rent in there for $1400. Here is the description "LUXURY 1 BD 1 BA CONDO WITH SUNROOM OVER LOOKING WATER FOUNTAIN. WALL TO WALL CARPET. KITCHEN HAS STAINLESS STEEL APPL. GRANITE COUNTER TOPS. FITNESS CTR., MOVIE ROOM, BILLIARDS ROOM, PARTY ROOM, BUSINESS CTR., BBQ AREA AND ROOF TOP POOL. WALK TO WO&D TRAIL AND RESTON TOWN CTR. ONE GARAGE SPOT" Sorry for the caps, I cut and pasted the description. There are also two 2BR units for $1700. Ask your Realtor to search on "Hi-Rise 9+ Floors" and to email you a list of available properties. "THE MERCER AT RESTON" is another good option.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:20 PM

27 posts, read 144,677 times
Default Nightmare

Rt 66 is a nightmare. Does not matter what direction. Unpredictable. Falls Church is no longer worth it. Overpriced and in the midst of a condo boom. Too much traffic (Rt 7 from Seven Corners to Tysons Corner). Dulles Toll Road and Beltway horrible. Too many peoples for roads, metro (subway) and services (i.e., grocery stores, restaurants, etc.) Rude people, aggressive drivers, spolied indlugent children. Go south. Well beyond Manassas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia