Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2019, 05:02 AM

5 posts, read 5,810 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been a VA resident for over 11 years now. I am planning to buy a property in Port Potomac in Woodbridge. I have tried to search for posts about the community but they are really old and will not help.
So, I have a few questions and would appreciate if anyone can respond as per to their experience:
Does anyone have experience of living and owning property there? How is the community? Is the neighborhood safe? I am wondering if it is a safe investment? Is it safe to roam around inside and outside the community i.e. for a walk?
I have heard stories about sketchy areas nearby (esp. Rt 1) but what I can see near PP that there has been a lot of on-going construction on Rt. 1. Does it mean the area will be a better place and will have better neighborhoods in the coming years?
Stone bridge is nearby and Eagles Points is just around the corner. According to my realtor, these are all good signs for purchasing property there. Also, he showed me that Townhomes and SFH get sold in PP quite easily and quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 05:31 AM

230 posts, read 220,055 times
I have a friend who lives in Port Potomac, and I've visited the neighborhood a couple of times. My friend doesn't love the area, but it works for him -- especially since he commutes north to Alexandria and his wife commutes south to a job in the Ashland area. He hasn't mentioned any crime in the immediate neighborhood. The "sketchy areas" to which you refer are generally found further north along Route 1. Those neighborhoods generally have older construction and smaller homes than what you find in developments like Port Potomac. Candidly, while I think some of those areas are not as desirable as other neighborhoods in Prince William County, I also think their "sketchiness" is at times blown out of proportion.

Port Potomac has a lot of new construction, which appeals to many people. For me, however, I think the biggest drawback to that area is access. You're forced to use Route 1 to go almost anywhere, and Route 1 often becomes a congested mess -- even if there is no problem on I-95, which itself is often a congested mess.

The best thing you can do is drive around the neighborhood. Go during the day. Go during the night. Go during rush hour. Go during non-rush. Do your research. Get a feel for the place. And take any advice you get -- whether on this forum or especially from a realtor -- with a grain of salt. Ultimately, you are best suited to determine whether a neighborhood will work for you or not.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:34 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeehaAnwar View Post
Hi all,
I have been a VA resident for over 11 years now. I am planning to buy a property in Port Potomac in Woodbridge. I have tried to search for posts about the community but they are really old and will not help.
So, I have a few questions and would appreciate if anyone can respond as per to their experience:
Does anyone have experience of living and owning property there? How is the community? Is the neighborhood safe? I am wondering if it is a safe investment? Is it safe to roam around inside and outside the community i.e. for a walk?
I have heard stories about sketchy areas nearby (esp. Rt 1) but what I can see near PP that there has been a lot of on-going construction on Rt. 1. Does it mean the area will be a better place and will have better neighborhoods in the coming years?
Stone bridge is nearby and Eagles Points is just around the corner. According to my realtor, these are all good signs for purchasing property there. Also, he showed me that Townhomes and SFH get sold in PP quite easily and quickly.
Georgetown village and Village gate are just south of the property. I used to live in GV many many years ago and it was pretty sketchy. I guess crime can happen anywhere, but PP always looks pretty clean and well kept when I've driven through. They just recently opened the boardwalk nearby. I've visited and it's pretty nice oasis in the middle of Woodbridge.

I did notice they are building some shops over near the bank on route 1. I'm not sure what businesses are going into it, but might be nice to have some shops near the property.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
The best thing you can do is drive around the neighborhood. Go during the day. Go during the night. Go during rush hour. Go during non-rush. Do your research. Get a feel for the place. And take any advice you get -- whether on this forum or especially from a realtor -- with a grain of salt. Ultimately, you are best suited to determine whether a neighborhood will work for you or not.
Agreed.

When I first graduated college the first offer I got was with a company in Reston so naturally I was looking to move to Herndon, my roommate at the time was like, "Isn't that place ghetto?" In what universe is Herndon ghetto?

People have their own biases and that's part of human nature so ultimately do your research, visit, drive around the area, look at the median income, schools, crime reports, etc and make an informed decision but you can't put too much stock in other people's opinions because it's just that, an opinion.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:37 PM

197 posts, read 166,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeehaAnwar View Post
Hi all,
literally replied to your other post... no rehashing all that. was in port potomac for almost a decade. Its a safe neighborhood (compared to eagles pt)... great for jogging and walking. I think when the waterway thing is built over rippon you will be able to run over the water. Only weird stuff are the deer hunters that pop up occasionally. No one likes the sound of gunfire. It does have problems with theft... but seriously if you lock your doors you wont be on next door complaining about getting things stolen. You wont get attacked however there were some neibhors that let a certain aggressive breed of dogs run off leash... that gets annoying.

HOA is up and down depending on who is running and their intentions. From an investment POV.. its hard to say. We made a ton of money on our sale... but previous years didn't. Timing is everything. As far as your realtor... she shouldn't base that assesment on stonebridge alone. The schools leave much to be desired... and it seems the county cannot make up their mind on what demographic it wants to target.

Stonebridge is figuring out its market. Some good restuarants and stores flamed out and new ones have taken their place. Alamo drafthouse is nice... the wegmans there has shifted its target and is a bit different compared to others. (started off with a nice wine/beer/variety/fresh cooked food etc).

If you are in the for the long haul.. myself and older.. and current neighbors never had problems selling or renting our homes because we were in between both bases. Neighborhood still is desirable and holds its own when compared to Pshores. If your in it for the short haul Your realtor SHOULD however point out that eagles point has brand new homes in the mid to high 400s again. That doesn't help resales...

ALl in all... you should love the community. You get a breeze being the near the water and its really quiet when the highway(s) are clear.

if the neabsco district and EPWC can get the schools in order...values might skyrocket. If you like the neighborhood. I would strongly suggest having your realtor take you to montclair.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I have a friend who lives in Port Potomac, and I've visited the neighborhood a couple of times. My friend doesn't love the area, but it works for him -- especially since he commutes north to Alexandria and his wife commutes south to a job in the Ashland area. He hasn't mentioned any crime in the immediate neighborhood. The "sketchy areas" to which you refer are generally found further north along Route 1. Those neighborhoods generally have older construction and smaller homes than what you find in developments like Port Potomac. Candidly, while I think some of those areas are not as desirable as other neighborhoods in Prince William County, I also think their "sketchiness" is at times blown out of proportion.

Port Potomac has a lot of new construction, which appeals to many people. For me, however, I think the biggest drawback to that area is access. You're forced to use Route 1 to go almost anywhere, and Route 1 often becomes a congested mess -- even if there is no problem on I-95, which itself is often a congested mess.

sooooooooooo best kept secret about that neighborhood is that there are 5 ways in and out.... one way gets you around the congestion.... to a road that can take you to benita... and then to freedom. There are roads that run parrelell to rt 1... that waze isn't up on.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Georgetown village and Village gate are just south of the property. I used to live in GV many many years ago and it was pretty sketchy. I guess crime can happen anywhere, but PP always looks pretty clean and well kept when I've driven through. They just recently opened the boardwalk nearby. I've visited and it's pretty nice oasis in the middle of Woodbridge.

I did notice they are building some shops over near the bank on route 1. I'm not sure what businesses are going into it, but might be nice to have some shops near the property.
it was supposed to be dunkin donuts with and ice cream parlor... but DD couldn't wait or changed it mind. Much to the dismay of the HOA and home owners..

https://www.rappaportco.com/wp-conte...c-Brochure.pdf

Never really cared much for the owner.. he would let the grass grow so high we would call the county on him. Hopefully they get some kid friendly shop for the creme de la creme kids.

That boardwalk is nice..... the area is coming along. As far as GV... it provided a lot of headaches for the community until they tore up the sidewalks.... (which was when we sold... ) not sure if the crime picked back up with the long overdue pedestrian bridges... but yea.. that foot traffic would make the townhouse owners pretty nervous. For example Eagles point would have house parties that PWCPD would break up... the kids would scatter into our neighborhood... more police would show up and you would see 50kids running around. We would all hop on next door telling parents to check to see if their kids snuck out lol.

Fun times...

Rooting for the area!!!

Old 10-27-2019, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 5,810 times
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to get a sense/feel of the neighborhood and liked it so far. With the expansion of Rt 1, I think things will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia