Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

I was approached last week about a short term (10-12 month) job opportunity in Manassas (coming from AZ). I have been looking through the last few years worth of posts regarding this area, and it seems like Haymarket, Gainesville and Bristow are all solid options, though geared towards single family housing and raising kids, of which I am the opposite of (single, kid free, young professional). Amenities important to me include patio dining, mom and pop restaurants, local breweries, live music, trails/paths for jogging with my dogs, dive bars, and the such. I am very outgoing and sociable, and will want to explore social settings more as the world starts to open up. How do these towns stack up for the amenities I listed? If not very well, any suggestions within a 30 minute commute?

Thanks,

M

ETA: I know housing costs came up in many of the posts that I read. I can comfortably afford $2500/mo for a rental unit, preference for 2bd/2ba, if that helps with area housing issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 03:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
I lived in Manassas for 42 years and what you are looking for is not really the Manassas scene. Pretty much none of that area may satisfy you. Ironically my son moved a year ago from Manassas to AZ. The mom and pop restaurants are around but chain style still dominate all of the DC area. Gainesville and Haymarket are nice areas but geared more to families. Going into Fairfax may fit your style a little better but even then you may not quite find exactly what you want. I'll let some of the locals there suggest places. I know Fairfax well but not the young adult type communities. A commute from Fairfax to Manassas is considered a reverse commute but over the years we've seen more and more cars doing the reverse commute but it is still less cars than the opposite way. 30 minutes back to Manassas depends on where in Manassas. If around the Lockheed/Micron area that's keeping you around the Fair Oaks area in Fairfax. Any further than that and I think you will see a longer commute. One consideration of Old Town Manassas. This Old Town was revitalized several years back with many nice improvements. You'll see a mix of young folks as well as older. Some good restaurants, old book store and so on. But your walking trails do not exist here. Would be all walking residential streets which are nice older homes and low crime.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Agree with Bigfoot--you're not going to find what you are looking for right in Manassas and the surrounding area are very "suburbia." The places you might find what you are looking for that might fit are Reston, Leesburg (Leesburg proper has a lot of unique restaurants). Not a great ride to Manassas but probably not the worst. The Arlington, Shirlington area would give you a lot of what you need but it's pricey and you'd have a significant reverse commute.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:37 AM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
A lot of people bring their dogs for walks on the trails of the Manassas Battlefields. https://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm
You'd have to drive to get there (surrounding streets aren't walkable due to traffic/no sidewalk.) If you're looking to meet people/run without your dogs I know there are some trail running groups that meet up there (specifically thinking of one based from the Running Store in Gainesville on Saturday mornings.)

For local breweries there are some really big ones like 2 Silos, but there are also a few that are walkable in the Old Town Manassas area (like Bad Wolf, Heritage, and Sinistral.)

Old 03-23-2021, 10:32 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
Given the 30 minute commute, I think Old Town Manassas hits a lot of your criteria. If I was in one location for just 12 months and had a dog, I would not stretch that commute and live in a different suburb that won't offer up much more in terms of entertainment/social scene. OTM has a lot breweries, bars, restaurants etc in a small geographic area

Old 03-23-2021, 11:51 AM

197 posts, read 165,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
A lot of people bring their dogs for walks on the trails of the Manassas Battlefields. https://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm
You'd have to drive to get there (surrounding streets aren't walkable due to traffic/no sidewalk.) If you're looking to meet people/run without your dogs I know there are some trail running groups that meet up there (specifically thinking of one based from the Running Store in Gainesville on Saturday mornings.)

For local breweries there are some really big ones like 2 Silos, but there are also a few that are walkable in the Old Town Manassas area (like Bad Wolf, Heritage, and Sinistral.)
pre covid... we went out of our way to go to 2 silos... awesome venue.

OP ... gainsville and bristow are excellent options.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:31 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
pre covid... we went out of our way to go to 2 silos... awesome venue.

OP ... gainsville and bristow are excellent options.

Great options for family. Not sure it fits what the OP is looking for. Old Town Manassas is the only real option for the OP unless they are willing to drive longer than 30 minutes.

OP. If you move to the Old Town area make sure you visit Okra's restaurant. I so miss that place. https://okras.com/

Old 03-24-2021, 05:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Another option is maybe Occoquan. It has some outdoor dining options, though I like the restaurants in old town manassas better. A plus is if you wanted to head north to dc or Arlington, you'd be closer versus living further west.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
[/b]

Great options for family. Not sure it fits what the OP is looking for. Old Town Manassas is the only real option for the OP unless they are willing to drive longer than 30 minutes.

OP. If you move to the Old Town area make sure you visit Okra's restaurant. I so miss that place. https://okras.com/
you have a pt... and I LOVE old town manassas (as i came up from the south and love the architecture). OP you will have a battle getting in to old town but def. an option if you can find a place.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Another option is maybe Occoquan. It has some outdoor dining options, though I like the restaurants in old town manassas better. A plus is if you wanted to head north to dc or Arlington, you'd be closer versus living further west.
those townhouses at gaslight landing... are rarely for sale...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia