Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2021, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,603 times

Advertisements

I'm going to work at Quantico, hailing from Louisiana. I know that the price of living is increasing drastically, but I'd like to keep rent for an apartment or townhome around 1900.00 monthly. So far we (my husband and 2 elementary aged children) are looking at Woodbridge and Stafford. Can anyone tell me if either of these aparments are okay(safe, upkept) or if you have a better option for whats best based on the following:

Woodbridge
- The Preserve at Catons Crossing
- Rolling Brook Village

Stafford
- Ultris Courthouse Square Apartments

**Distance to work
** Great place to raise a family that's safe, great schools
**Hate to ask, but diverse and safe for a family of color
**Out door activities or close to restaurants and shopping

Thank you for all of your help. Trying to avoid flying up there twice for house hunting.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 05-27-2021 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: to reflect what poster wanted to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 05:06 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
As already mentioned. More info is needed. As far as a commute you're facing a reverse commute coming from Woodbridge but still not traffic free with the base involved. If looking for newer townhomes and/or single family homes I'd suggest maybe looking at the following areas. And I suggest these after spending 30 years as an LEO for this county. While no area, and I mean none, are crime free you can lessen any chances with certain areas. Typically in communities like these you will see property crimes vs serious violent crimes.

Cardinal Dr and the home along here.

Port Potomac

Southbridge.

Montclair.

There are other areas as well but without knowing your needs it's tough to answer.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
I don't know anything about apartments in the area, but since you mentioned outdoor activities I wanted to give you a heads up about Prince William Forest national park. It's right off I95 at the same exit as Quantico. It is beautiful with miles of hiking trails, and a great paved road for biking!
https://www.nps.gov/prwi/index.htm
There is a fee to enter, but if you get the America the Beautiful pass ($80) you get free entrance to this park, and all other national parks for a year.

Welcome to Northern VA!

Old 05-27-2021, 03:10 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
For Woodbridge, I'd choose The Preserve over Rolling Brook Village. Over the years, Rolling Brook Village has had some more instances of published petty crime than some other places. That's just my anectdotal evidence and I don't have real data to back that up.

You don't have to worry about diversity in Woodbridge--plenty of it.

I can't answer on Stafford. Much less diverse, that I do know. If you were to move to Stafford and commute to Quantico, you'd be in the "thick" of a commute as northbound in the morning and southbound in the evening can be tough.

Woodbridge gives you a reverse commute.

You don't say the ages of your kids, but I would be concerned with the middle and high schools that those Woodbridge apartment complexes are zoned for.

Don't be afraid to take a look at places to live off of Rt. 234 on the South Woodbridge/Dumfries area. Schools such as Saunders Middle School, Colgan/Hylton high schools, might be better rated.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:37 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
"For Woodbridge, I'd choose The Preserve over Rolling Brook Village. Over the years, Rolling Brook Village has had some more instances of published petty crime than some other places. That's just my anectdotal evidence and I don't have real data to back that up."

I'll wager there is not a community anywhere in the area that also has not had petty property crime happen. It happens in every community. Many people do not take precautions such as locking their car doors at night. I had a case once where items were stolen from a garage, at night, where the garage door was left wide open on purpose. (Guy was trying to extend the life of his door opener). He. truly could not believe someone stole from him in his nice neighborhood.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:45 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
"For Woodbridge, I'd choose The Preserve over Rolling Brook Village. Over the years, Rolling Brook Village has had some more instances of published petty crime than some other places. That's just my anectdotal evidence and I don't have real data to back that up."

I'll wager there is not a community anywhere in the area that also has not had petty property crime happen. It happens in every community. Many people do not take precautions such as locking their car doors at night. I had a case once where items were stolen from a garage, at night, where the garage door was left wide open on purpose. (Guy was trying to extend the life of his door opener). He. truly could not believe someone stole from him in his nice neighborhood.
I am a member on the NextDoor site for my area in Woodbridge. I am stunned by the amount of people who are shocked that things were stolen from their car (yes, doors unlocked), or removed out of their yards or front porches (unsecured bikes). I realize that all theft is bad, but to be surprised when people take stuff in a town that is NOT Mayberry seems a little naive to me!

Old 05-29-2021, 09:17 AM

197 posts, read 165,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I am a member on the NextDoor site for my area in Woodbridge. I am stunned by the amount of people who are shocked that things were stolen from their car (yes, doors unlocked), or removed out of their yards or front porches (unsecured bikes). I realize that all theft is bad, but to be surprised when people take stuff in a town that is NOT Mayberry seems a little naive to me!
Hahahahaha i cant get those post anymore since we moved but omg Port potomac was guilty of this. When We finally got neighbors to buy cameras……..

……. It evolved to neighbors posts of kids and a$$hats rummaging through STILL unlocked cars….

The worst i can remember was someones toyota venza (random) which was never seem from again

Old 07-12-2021, 10:09 AM

44 posts, read 32,857 times
There's no way I'd ever live (again) in Woodbridge. Yes it has some upscale areas.
But there's too much bad surrounding. Stafford isn't perfect, but it's closer.
And lots to choose from in communities. I should think there isn't a place that doesn't
have diverse communities anymore. And agree with the above, Prince William National Forrest
Park is one of the most amazing parks VA has to offer. There's also a hidden gem bit further,
called Westmoreland State Park. You can even go shark tooth collecting there. I've found a
Meg tooth there once. Tons of trails, 2 beaches and even a pool.
Best of luck in your decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: