Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:19 AM

754 posts, read 1,739,586 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I'm a single, 26 y/o woman with two adorable dogs whom I love very much :-) I just accepted a position at the Pentagon and would like some recommendations on areas within a < 30 min commute to the Pentagon. I would prefer to take the metro or an express bus over driving. I want a townhome with some kind of small yard space (for my dogs), I also want a private garage or underground parking, and I need at a minimum 3 bedrooms but having a rec room would be desirable as I have alot of bulky gym equipment. So far I have been searching in the Arlington/Alexandria areas but know that there are pockets within these cities to avoid. Any suggestions on other cities, communities, subdivisions, zip codes that are recommended or those to definitely avoid would greatly be appreciated. By the way depending on HOA/condo fees my budget is up to $430k Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 06:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
are you military or a civilian? Theres a ton of links like militarybyowner.com and realtor.com to get you started.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
I second the recommendation from VRE332. We are in zip code 22315 and about 2-3 miles from the Franconia Springfield metro and a quick 20 minute metro ride to the Pentagon. There are a number of communities in this zip code and I am not aware of an unsafe neighborhood in this zip. Lots of folks use their downstairs room as their gym in the townhomes if that is an option for you.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:31 PM

I am a civilian. I will look into zip code 22315. I am curious though, for places that are near but not exactly within walking distance to metros (like the 2-3 miles irisheyes13 mentioned), how do commuters get to the metro? Are there normally shuttle buses that take you there? Do people drive and then park somewhere? And if so where? Thanks again for the quick responses! I will start with the websites recommended.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:55 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
how do commuters get to the metro? Are there normally shuttle buses that take you there? Do people drive and then park somewhere? And if so where?

You can drive but lots are expensive and often unavailable during the weekday as they fill up quickly. Use a commuter bus:

http://www.wmata.com/metrobus/maps/va.pdf

Old 07-04-2008, 05:05 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I make a short walk to pick up a DASH bus, take that to King St. Metro - hop a blue and/or yellow train (I go to either Pentagon City or Metro Center) - from the time I leave my house (West End Alex.) - walk to the bus, catch a train - I'm at Pentagon City in 30 mins. max.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:47 PM

So are commuter buses common throughout the area? Or do you still need to locate a neighborhood close to a stop? Can anyone tell me their opinions on Falls Church, Burke, Annandale and Springfield for someone of my demographics? Yes, I do enjoy the night scene at times but I already have my MBA and am not looking to party with the < 21 college crowd. I have really close friends that live in the heart of the District so as long as I can get in/out of the city within a reasonable timeframe it is not important for me to be in the heart of nightlife. I would, however, enjoy being close to shops like Target, Petsmart, grocery stores, etc. Thanks all!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 PM

bump...anymore info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
So are commuter buses common throughout the area? Or do you still need to locate a neighborhood close to a stop? Can anyone tell me their opinions on Falls Church, Burke, Annandale and Springfield for someone of my demographics? Yes, I do enjoy the night scene at times but I already have my MBA and am not looking to party with the < 21 college crowd. I have really close friends that live in the heart of the District so as long as I can get in/out of the city within a reasonable timeframe it is not important for me to be in the heart of nightlife. I would, however, enjoy being close to shops like Target, Petsmart, grocery stores, etc. Thanks all!
I can only comment on the two areas I know: Burke (22015) and West Springfield (22152). Most people in these areas are families, but you are likely to find the TH you are looking for within your budget. Your commuting options would be driving to the metro, taking the VRE to Crystal City and walking or taking metro to the Pentagon or taking a bus to the metro (but there is probably an express bus to the Pentagon). Either one of these areas is easily accessible by car to shopping, amenities, parks, etc. and the community is safe. Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
I lived in 22311 (near King Street and 395), and loved the area. There are multiple buses to the Pentagon (7B, 7A/E/F, 25A/B/C) which took 15 minutes during rush hour, 20 on a very bad day. There are also DASH buses to King Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia