Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times

Advertisements

Eh... as I've said before, I'd rank the NoVA area as completely average in terms of stranger-politeness. I've never been one to greet/open dialogues with strangers, though if someone does it to me, I'm always very friendly in response.

One thing I do (probably has to do with being raised in the "Midwest") is offer a little semi-self-effacing "excuse me, sorry <smile and possibly even nervous giggle>" if I have to even vaguely inconvenience someone by moving around her/him. I've found the response to this to be generally overwhelmingly positive. I've had people beam in response and inform me (occasionally even in thick Northeastern US accents!) something along the lines of 'it's been way too long since [they've] heard that sort of thing.' I'm not suggesting that it's culturally normal to push and shove in the Northeast - just that offering an apology for briefly interrupting someone's view of a store shelf (for instance), or for causing them to have to step aside for a moment, is largely obsolete there/here.

But anyway, always nice to be a (minor) bright spot in someone's day.

Oh, and as for the 'excessive numbers of type A personalities' observation - I just don't see it. Every large city has that. I *have* noticed that the DC area has a larger-than-normal proportion of total nerds (every city would have them, though, of course), and I'm perfectly all right with that, being a total nerd myself. Probably has something to do with all the government agencies providing desperately-needed gainful employment to people with weird majors.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-20-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 02:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
I've noticed that rather than being rude, people here are very sensitive to rudeness or unfairness in others. Just try taking cuts sometime and you'll see what I mean.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:36 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Funny how that never occurs to me when I'm bumper to bumper in Old Town. Besides, you carry a gun in your car, right?
The Commonwealth does have rather (small p) progressive and egalitarian laws on bearing firearms today, quite unlike some jurisdictions where one has to be rich and powerful or at least "buddies" with the local issuing authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That ranks right up there with Godzilla. All you are doing is impeding the flow of trafiic.
Is that "all" I am doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I've never even once been concerned about this happening. Who gets boxed in by carjackers in NoVA?
Well, it's never happened to me state-side let alone in NoVA. I think NoVA is a pretty safe area. But then crime doesn't happen, until it does. It's not like NoVA is completely free of crime, even violent crime. Generally, I am in condition yellow even in "safe areas."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Probably less transient places where some level of friendliness to strangers is the social norm and newcomers pick up on that relatively quickly.

The relative chilliness of people in this area to one another is well documented, as this recent article illustrates:

Why You Should Say 'Hello' to Strangers on the Street - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

I can't really take issue with people who perceive this area as unfriendly, though I often disagree with the explanations for the behavior that start off with references to Type A this-and-that.
In my personal and highly anecdotal experience, my neighbors in Loudoun were much more social and friendly than those in Fairfax. There is probably some general and vague correlations between urbanization and lack of friendliness.

Quote:
On the other hand, I spend professional time downtown mostly in the area of K Street NW. Things are very different there. People are insulated and off by themselves in their own little worlds. Eye contact is rare. If you say hello to someone you don't know, you are apt to get an odd look...a look that says, "What? Why did you just say hello to me?" But that's K Street -- a business district. It is NOT Capitol Hill.
K Street. Phew! (ILD spits.) Den of whores and, in the case of one 15 & K corner, a literal den of whores (ICE took care of that a couple years back).

Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Is that "all" I am doing?
Yes. All you are doing is impeding the flow of traffic.

Quote:
K Street. Phew! (ILD spits.) Den of whores and, in the case of one 15 & K corner, a literal den of whores (ICE took care of that a couple years back).
Above it all, eh? So, maybe it was a bunch of Washington Examiner staffers out trying to make an extra buck? But I certainly don't recall ICE being involved in any prostitution stings. Not really their beat. The DCMPD vice people run them all the time and all over town. It isn't exactly headline news.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,263 times
Quote:
Yes. All you are doing is impeding the flow of traffic.
That's interesting. When cars are bumper to bumper, I noticed that they become stuck with an accident up ahead. With gaps, cars can detour lessening the flow of traffic.
Quote:
Above it all, eh?
I am certainly above access-based politics since it tends to breed corruption and distort principles. I am much more inclined to support grassroots-based political activities.
Quote:
So, maybe it was a bunch of Washington Examiner staffers out trying to make an extra buck?
I am not aware of any employee of The Examiner being involved in such activities. However, I AM aware of The Washington Post classifieds allowing "exotic massage" ads despite numerous requests from anti-human trafficking groups to WaPo to drop such ads.
Quote:
But I certainly don't recall ICE being involved in any prostitution stings. Not really their beat. The DCMPD vice people run them all the time and all over town. It isn't exactly headline news.
Are you suggesting since you don't recall such an event, it didn't happen?

ICE is involved when there is immigration violation, including human trafficking. In this particular incident, although multiple agencies were involved, ICE took the lead since such violation was the main focus of the investigation.

What was "news-worthy" about it was the location as well as, ahem, the client profiles.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Often they seem to be comparing this area to some sort of imagined, theoretical, shining city on a hill somewhere at the end of a yellow brick road.
Sounds like Pittsburgh (ducks flying stelletos!)

Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
Quote:
That's interesting. When cars are bumper to bumper, I noticed that they become stuck with an accident up ahead. With gaps, cars can detour lessening the flow of traffic.
What happened to the ever-looming threat of being carjacked? Unless you are willing say to drive north in a southbound lane, no amount of space will allow you to detour unless there is an actual place to pull off. And if there were, the first person to accomplish it would create at least a car-length of this precious space that you so unreasonably crave. All that really results from your inexplicable behavior behind the wheel is that cars that could have pulled into a left turn lane behind you can't, and cars that would have made the light before it changed again don't. You are making yourself part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Quote:
I am certainly above access-based politics since it tends to breed corruption and distort principles.
Odd then that the founders wrote the First Amendment the way they did.

Quote:
I am much more inclined to support grassroots-based political activities.
Most of which are coordinated from along K Street.

Quote:
I am not aware of any employee of The Examiner being involved in such activities.
Nor that its offices are located at one of the two intersections of 15th and K Streets NW, I'm guessing.

Quote:
However, I AM aware of The Washington Post classifieds allowing "exotic massage" ads despite numerous requests from anti-human trafficking groups to WaPo to drop such ads.
I sense that another classic ILD diverison is underway.

Quote:
Are you suggesting since you don't recall such an event, it didn't happen?
Well, your documentation of it has been awfully weak.

Quote:
ICE is involved when there is immigration violation, including human trafficking.
Actually, DCMPD works primarily with the FBI's DC field office on those relatively few occasions when issues involving sex-trafficking arise.

Quote:
In this particular incident, although multiple agencies were involved, ICE took the lead since such violation was the main focus of the investigation.
There has been no "particular" incident identified. There are only vague and generalized reports and allegations. Are you now revising your claim to suggest that this was some Hormel-style green-card bust and that some of those detained were found to have been involved in prostitution?

Quote:
What was "news-worthy" about it was the location as well as, ahem, the client profiles.
Ahem, there isn't anything newsworthy about either intersection of 15th and K. Starbuck's, Cosi, CVS, Pret A Manger, the doofus Examiner. Not much out of the ordinary at all. As for client profiles, we haven't seen any of those. Just as we haven't seen any connection back to the totally inaccurate characterization of street life on Capitol Hill that you posted in suggestng that the frostiness of the DC area was "well documented". All we had there was a case of hopelessly shallow and misleading reporting followed by this scampering off into allegations concerning a K Street neighborhood that you are also not familiar with.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,988 times
Quote:
Butt hurt? It was just a question. And yes, I've lived in the area since 1969, so I've had time to learn a good deal about it. One of the things I've learned is that area critics often have no actual, existing, alternate place in mind when they offer negative comparatives about NoVa. Often they seem to be comparing this area to some sort of imagined, theoretical, shining city on a hill somewhere at the end of a yellow brick road. Just identifying the sort of standard or yardstick you are using would be helpful.

You stated earlier that "this area is not the friendliest". What actual, existing area if any were you comparing this one to in that case?
I spend a lot of time out in San Diego where my family lives. The culture is quite different and most people work to live and actually enjoy their lives outside of work. Its not the rat race that DC is. Sure there are some narcissistic and "self important" people there, but the overall percentage is much lower than here in the DC area. Plus they have beaches and beautiful weather year round. Its actually quiet the opposite lifestyle that we have created for ourselves here in DC. You should check it out sometime.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've noticed that rather than being rude, people here are very sensitive to rudeness or unfairness in others.
Yes. Particularly people in the Langley HS community. Impeccable respect for others, especially those less fortunate or well-to-do. Not a shred of elitism or self-centeredness. <sarcasm>

CAVA, evidently your experiences in NoVA have been positive. It's good to know that someone is happy there. But that's not the case for everyone.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
An interesting thing happened to me here one recent evening. I was out mowing the front lawn when, without any warning, my neighbor across the street appeared next to me (I could not hear anything because of the mower) and gave me a HUG. We have spoken twice during the four years we've lived in this house. This is only the second time this person has crossed the street. It shocked and startled me at first (mostly that someone came up close enough to hug me and I had no idea they were there). Maybe it was due to my efforts with the lawn? Was it the expensive designer perfume I tried on at the store earlier that day that drew this person over? At least I smelled good (the perfume did mix well with the mower fumes and cut grass smell). I realized the person did not mean to scare me, but it was just a really strange time to say hello!

Um. Not to be a negative Nellie but you may want to check the states sex offender registry. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia