Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:03 PM

51 posts, read 133,445 times

Advertisements

Was at Merrified Garden Center early this morning and they have a huge selection of Pansies. Unlike Betty's Azalea Ranch, the staff was very friendly and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 PM

67 posts, read 247,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Guru View Post
Was at Merrified Garden Center early this morning and they have a huge selection of Pansies. Unlike Betty's Azalea Ranch, the staff was very friendly and helpful.
Yeah, for $4 for a 6-cell pack. I go to Merrifield GC for lots of things, but common bedding plants is not one of them. I broke down and got one pack on Fri. while I was there picking up other items and have some buyers remorse (but they were so pretty! And I had time to kill before an appointment!). They better be the prettiest damn pansies I've ever seen at that price, lol.

Actually, for cheap, common beddings plants (impatients, vinca, geranium, etc), the KMart on Jermantown is quite good; $1.79 for a 6-pack. However, they only get one or two shipments in early in the season, so definitely purchase early for the best selection. Equivilant size is $2.99 at Betty's and $3.99 at Merrifield.

You can also score occasional deals at the Lowe's at Rts 28 and 50. They're awesome for hostas and ferns, and end of season can yield some good deals on perennials, but don't expect a huge selection.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:17 PM

264 posts, read 854,589 times
Costco is also great - plus if you're not satisfied at any time- you get your money back vs most nurseries giving you one season or at most a year..

Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 PM

51 posts, read 133,445 times
Good posting!

I have even found some excellent hanging baskets at Walmart...all really comes down to timing. Too bad Betty's Azalea Ranch Betty's Azalea Ranch cannot overhaul their staff...I would suggest Steve in the Lawn section go to Merifield Garden Center for some training...the sad thing is I think he actually owns the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniebean View Post
Yeah, for $4 for a 6-cell pack. I go to Merrifield GC for lots of things, but common bedding plants is not one of them. I broke down and got one pack on Fri. while I was there picking up other items and have some buyers remorse (but they were so pretty! And I had time to kill before an appointment!). They better be the prettiest damn pansies I've ever seen at that price, lol.

Actually, for cheap, common beddings plants (impatients, vinca, geranium, etc), the KMart on Jermantown is quite good; $1.79 for a 6-pack. However, they only get one or two shipments in early in the season, so definitely purchase early for the best selection. Equivilant size is $2.99 at Betty's and $3.99 at Merrifield.

You can also score occasional deals at the Lowe's at Rts 28 and 50. They're awesome for hostas and ferns, and end of season can yield some good deals on perennials, but don't expect a huge selection.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 19,386 times
Default Burned by Campbell and Ferrara

I used Campbell and Ferrara--the worst of all worlds---poor customer service, staff who don't return phone calls, plants that died on me...a horrible experience.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM

240 posts, read 221,575 times
The new Merrifield Garden Center in Gainesville is really great. It is a very large store and also there's a lot of outside property. In addition they've established a small dog park which is really great - up until now there was no dog park in Prince William County, since the county never bothered to set on up at any of their parks. Smart move on Merrifield's part, and it is probably attracting customers. They also sell some stuff for dogs inside the store.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 19,386 times
Between MGC, Meadows Farms and Cravens who would you choose?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I don't know the name of this place, but it's on Marie Road near where it intersects with Cascades Parkway. The nearest "big" intersection is Cascades and Nokes. You have to look carefully for it, it's down a gravel road and is easy to miss the first time you try to find it. It's a family owned nursery, so they grow everything locally. Wonderful place that's been here for decades.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. P View Post
Between MGC, Meadows Farms and Cravens who would you choose?
Depends, each one is good at different things. For showpiece plants, go to MGC. They have the best quality. But if your buying plants that are hard to kill, you'll get better prices at Meadows or Wal Mart. Cravens is good for containers and things like that.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Guru View Post
Anyone new to the area or those just looking for a local nursery, I strongly recommend Merrifield Garden Center (MGC). Just moved here last year and no matter what your needs are, they have the biggest selection around. The staff is professional and I love the information desk they have a each of their locations. Friendly staff that is more than willing to provide suggestions or help you troubleshoot an insect problem, plant issue or just about anything. David at the Fair Oaks location is the BEST!

On the contrary, earlier this year before I learned about Merrifield Garden Center I made the mistake of going to Betty's Azalea Ranch. BIG mistake! Their products seemed like they had been on the shelf forever and the quality just couldn't compare to MGC. Above all, I found the staff to be rude and unable to see things from a customer's perspective. I mean really, who deserves to be treated poorly these days. Some guy named Steve Cockerham in the lawn care section was very unprofessional and was rude; kind of like a Mr. Knowitall who just you what to do, no questions asked.
That's odd because I found almost the complete opposite. I went to Mreeifields and was walking around the nursery for 30 minutes with no one to help me. The persons working there looked at me and walked by. The one that attempted to help me became visibly upset because I did not speak Spanish and tromped off. Did not realize that Spanish was a first language at Merrifields.

At Betty's Azalea Ranch they were nothing but polite and professional. Huge selection of plants, flowers, trees etc. After talking to them for half an hour I had a solid plan on what I wanted to do!
Thanks to Steve and his staff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia