Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:14 PM

39 posts, read 137,950 times

Advertisements

My wife is an architect with a firm in VA, and she was on a job site when her purse was stolen, total value around $1500 with contents.

Her boss is refusing to do anything about it (claims his company's insurance doesn't cover it) and isn't offering to compensate her for anything. This follows her car being broken into at work with the window smashed in, and he didn't offer to cover our deductible on that either.

Needless to say we are VERY upset about this and his lack of any level of compassion, and I am wondering if there is a law in VA concerning employer liability in situations like this.

Are employers required to carry insurance for situations like this, say under their blanket injury/loss policy? I'm wondering because I think he's lying about his insurance not covering it - I don't think he wants to pay his deductible, and the office manager mentioned to my wife that maybe their insurance policy would cover it.

We are not disgruntled people. We are decent, hardworking, professionals who harm no one, but will not sit idle and be stepped on when we feel mistreated or abused.

Can anyone please help me or shed light on this?

Thanks.

Last edited by jlpicardq; 12-01-2008 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:32 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
If you are a homeowner, this may be covered under your homeowner's insurance. It would be covered under my policy.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:56 PM

39 posts, read 137,950 times
It is covered under my home owners insurance, but we have a $500 deductible and they may not even agree to cover the cost of the contents of the purse. It's entirely up to the claims adjuster. We might end up with little or nothing at all.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
what was she doing with $1,500 worth of contents on a job site?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,043 times
I think he would just be doing you a big favor if he paid the deductible or for value of the purse & contents. He has no obligation and you should hold no grudge against him because he's not forking over money to you.

As for the auto insurance, you might be able to claim that it was stolen out of the car and get reimbursed for some of it. It really depends on your policy. They might not cover it at all, unless it is part of the car and you can see that something was physically tampered with, such as speakers or car stereo being ripped out.

Also, how is ANYONE suppose to be able to appraise the value of a purse and the contents??? How old is the purse? What were the contents of the purse?

Question: Did she call the cops and file a police report?

That is the first thing people look for when paying you money.

FYI: Never a good idea to leave anything in site while your car is unattended. That includes: GPS, guitar amps, Important Documents and purses.

IMHO, you should be upset with your wife for leaving her purse in her car and viewable from outside. Who does that these days???

Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM

595 posts, read 2,307,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
what was she doing with $1,500 worth of contents on a job site?
No kidding! We had an employee slip and bust her arss in the parking lot, and worker's compensation would not cover her because she hadn't officially started work. There are very few places on this Earth, where you could safely keep 1500 worth of stuff locked in your car. I wouldn't do it in Singapore.

I learned the hard way, too. My car window was smashed on Capitol Hill for a Playmate Cooler. DC--home of the lawmakers--the most lawless place on Earth. Another time I had a window smashed in my apartment parking lot in Berkeley--for the two USD in bridge toll change, that I left on the console.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpicardq View Post
It is covered under my home owners insurance, but we have a $500 deductible and they may not even agree to cover the cost of the contents of the purse. It's entirely up to the claims adjuster. We might end up with little or nothing at all.
Well you could hire your own insurance adjuster to represent you. This drives your insurance co crazy but these folks know how to squeeze blood from a stone.

The name I know in this area is Goodman Gable Gould. They came around once when there was a fire in an apt building I lived in, looking for people who had renter's insurance. I did, and they got me what I considered a remarkable amount of money ... even after their cut, which is a fairly small percentage.

I dont know if they do theft claims or work in Virginia. At the time I was in D.C. and they are located in Rockville I think.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Sheesh, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask my employer to pay for my own negligence....

Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Your anger is misdirected. It should be targeted to the perpetrator, who is the one who "mistreated or abused" you. Why is it the employer's fault that your wife did not keep track of her purse? If you're not willing to pay the deductible on your own policy why should he be willing to pay on his, if in fact he does have insurance?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I visit many work locations, I purchased a purse that I could hang cross-wise across my body and keep it on me at all times. I don't trust leaving a purse w/cash/credit cards, whatever somewhere I can't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia