Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,708 times

Advertisements

Moving within the next 6-8 weeks from Hawaii to the DC area. Will commute to Bolling AFB. Ideally looking for a newer SFH in a very safe, family-friendly community within 30-45 mins of Bolling. Two pre-school aged kids, one with special needs (age 4). Looking to spend $600k or less. Have spent hours reading through other postings (thanks to all!)... lots of W. Springfield/Burke suggestions, but most of what I've seen are 1970's split levels. Kingstowne sounds great- but $600k barely buys a townhouse. Was initially interested in Belmont Bay with the water access and planned community, but it sounds like the surrounding area is the pits. Currently looking at properties in Annandale (just east of Rt 650 inside the beltway), Falls Church (Belvedere, Walnut Hill areas), and Arlington (Glen Carlin area)... most are renovations, some with pools, not not sure what these neighborhoods will be like. Lived in the Kentlands in Rockville, MD several yrs ago and loved it- not sure if we'll be able to afford something similar in NOVA this time... More options down by Woodbridge and further west, but sounds like a nasty commute... Any suggestions? Aloha-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:36 PM

240 posts, read 221,575 times
Welcome to NOVA from Hawaii. I've been to Oahu many times for work in the past few years.

Can't help you specifically in the areas you mention, but did want to say, don't even consider Woodbridge for commuting to Bolling. It would be a horrible commute. Kingstowne is a nice area, but I'm not sure what the prices are there. I live further out in the suburbs. Mainly just wanted to warn you away from Woodbridge, as I-95 is a parking lot at times, and I'm glad I don't have to commute in toward DC on it.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:44 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,763 times
I would also recommend you stay away from Woodbridge and that commute to Bolling. There are other neighborhoods around Kingstowne that are usually a bit lower priced but I am not sure what is out there right now. Island Creek is one with some SFH's and Hawthorne has some as well. It is a very convienent area and with Ft Belvior and it's hospital right there, that is a plus. Sorry I can't help on the other areas you mentioned.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 AM

85 posts, read 182,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriar View Post
Moving within the next 6-8 weeks from Hawaii to the DC area. Will commute to Bolling AFB. Ideally looking for a newer SFH in a very safe, family-friendly community within 30-45 mins of Bolling. Two pre-school aged kids, one with special needs (age 4). Looking to spend $600k or less. Have spent hours reading through other postings (thanks to all!)... lots of W. Springfield/Burke suggestions, but most of what I've seen are 1970's split levels. Kingstowne sounds great- but $600k barely buys a townhouse. Was initially interested in Belmont Bay with the water access and planned community, but it sounds like the surrounding area is the pits. Currently looking at properties in Annandale (just east of Rt 650 inside the beltway), Falls Church (Belvedere, Walnut Hill areas), and Arlington (Glen Carlin area)... most are renovations, some with pools, not not sure what these neighborhoods will be like. Lived in the Kentlands in Rockville, MD several yrs ago and loved it- not sure if we'll be able to afford something similar in NOVA this time... More options down by Woodbridge and further west, but sounds like a nasty commute... Any suggestions? Aloha-
Welcome to NoVA.

You will have to go to Chantilly, Sterling or Ashburn for a newer SFH in that price range. Prices are still way overinflated in most regions of NoVA - trade carefully, take your time, rent for a while and do enough ground work to understand different areas before you jump in. There is a high supply of rental properties - almost every block you look around.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidercharm View Post
Welcome to NoVA.

You will have to go to Chantilly, Sterling or Ashburn for a newer SFH in that price range. Prices are still way overinflated in most regions of NoVA - trade carefully, take your time, rent for a while and do enough ground work to understand different areas before you jump in. There is a high supply of rental properties - almost every block you look around.
Spidercharm is correct in terms of where you are more likely to find newer homes in your price range, but a commute from those areas to Bolling AFB will take you at least an hour in the mornings and a lot more in the evenings during rush hour. The other downside is that your public transportation options for commuting are limited to park-n-ride and bus service from those areas.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Not sure of commute times but....

You could try looking in the Lorton Station area. That area is right outside of Prince William County, so I'm not sure what the commute would be like.

There are some recent townhomes off of the Fairfax County Pkwy in the South Run area. I'm not sure of the price range (I'm guessing within your range though), and that's a nice area.

Fairfax Corner is another area to check if you would consider a newer townhome.

There is a recent SFH development in Fairfax called Cloister's of Fairfax. I'm pretty sure those are priced above 600K though.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
The neighborhoods in Annandale, Falls Church, and South Arlington will be much like those in Springfield and Burke, except older. Many of the homes were built 50+ years ago, and though many people have remodeled and added on, others have not. You are paying for the close-in location, not really for a nice, updated house. The schools can be iffy too -- some of these neighborhoods are enclaves in a larger area of high-rise apartments and other housing dominated by recent immigrants, and the schools serving these communities tend to have lower test scores. If you'res seeing newer construction in one of these areas around $600K, it will be either a townhouse or a small area of new houses in a transitional neighborhood.
If you want newer, and your price range is not flexible, you'll probably have to make serious tradeoffs on the commute and/or the school quality.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
The schools can be iffy too -- some of these neighborhoods are enclaves in a larger area of high-rise apartments and other housing dominated by recent immigrants, and the schools serving these communities tend to have lower test scores.
The schools can also be fabulous, because many of these schools are Title I schools, and therefore often have smaller class sizes. As an example, my child is in 2nd grade (Young Scholars) and there are 21 kids in her class.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
Title I schools are not generally described as "fabulous," since they serve a lot of needy kids. 21 well-behaved children who are learning at or above grade-level is one thing; 21 kids with behavior issues or who are performing below grade-level and need lots of help with the basics is another. Of course, some kids will thrive in just about any environment, but parents who aren't familiar with this area can make bad decisions by failing to carefully investigate schools, especially in neighborhoods where the prices seem too good to be true.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:45 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Title I schools are not generally described as "fabulous," since they serve a lot of needy kids.
Exactly my point. Folks that do not have children in elementary school can be quick to assume that all Title I schools are iffy when, in reality, they can be fabulous. It all comes down to a specific school, a specific principal, etc. Site based management means that there is little consistency from school to school (at least in Fairfax County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia