Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM

44 posts, read 190,973 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating from CA to NOVA this summer. Our son will be 3 in September and we'd like to send him to preschool. Any recommendations in the Vienna area? We are looking for a non-religious school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:43 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,278 times
From an earlier discussion:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ar-vienna.html

If you move to Vienna, you probably better do what the Vienna people on here tell you to do. They seem to get mighty upset if a newcomer rocks their boat.

Better to be safe!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM

230 posts, read 1,035,253 times
Hi eurocali,

Some of the preschools in the area that I took a look at for my daughter who will start 3 year old preschool this coming year are:

Parkwood
Appletree II
FB Meekins Co-op preschool
Greenbrier Co-op preschool

There are also alot of Montessori programs in the area if you are interested in that.

They all offer something different so it's really just personal choice & the ability to get a spot for your child.

There are alot of other preschools in the area but they are affiliated with local churches. Many of the preschools already have waiting lists for the new school year starting in September but since alot of people move in & out of this area you may get lucky.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
There aren't many non-religious preschools in Vienna. The ones that come to mind are Parkwood, Meekins (which is housed in a church but is not affiliated with it), and Hunter Mill Country Day School. Appletree II appears to not be religious but actually does have a Christian bent to it - not sure how much though. My kids have attended Parkwood, Vienna Baptist, and Wesley Methodist preschool (and Appletree II for summer camp) and we were happy with all of them. Because of the religous focus, though (we are Jewish), we stuck with Parkwood as it is a secular preschool. I've heard good things about Meekins, but the hours didn't work with my schedule. Also, know that it is a true co-op school. Parents are expected to help out in all capacities. Most people I know who go there like it, but there may not be any space for the fall. Mrs. Vickery who runs Parkwood may have space for you. Give her a call. She is 91 and has been running the school for over 50 years. We have been very pleased there. Phone number is: 703-281-3707. Address is 601 Marshall Road, SW., Vienna, VA 22180. Let me know if you have any more questions. I have three children - ages 7, 4, and almost 2 so I am still in the thick of preschool years. I also belong to the Vienna Moms Club which is a great club to join if you move to the area and have young children.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Montessori schools that Melbourne Family mentioned. Hunter Mill, Cedar Lane and another one whose name escapes me are all supposed to good (and they're all connected, I believe). Again, it didn't work out with my schedule so we didn't consider them, but I've heard good things about all three.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,755 times
Mrs. Vickery is 91?! Yikes! I saw her last week, on her tractor, mowing her lawn! She always has been a real go getter.

Friends of mine really liked the Montessori school on Cedar lane in Falls Church. It also has an extended day program for working parents. I've met the teachers there and seem great with kids.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Mrs. Vickery is 91?! Yikes! I saw her last week, on her tractor, mowing her lawn! She always has been a real go getter.
Yes! I've seen her on her tractor mowing her lawn - hard to believe. She is a true gem!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 AM

44 posts, read 190,973 times
Thank you so much for all the great feedback! I have just contacted Parkwood and the Montessori schools, and I'll take a look at Meekins (might work with my husband's schedule).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia