Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:10 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,506 times

Advertisements

I don't know about furnishing a media room, but for the four poster bed I would try the antique stores in Leesburg. You will often find pieces of furniture there which are English Country or French Country, old but not really antiques. I would call it vintage furniture. There are also some large stores south of Leesburg on Route 15 with some really interesting pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I want an old fashion, 4 poster bed, with carvings on the posts. I also need to furnish a rather large movie room. Also need bars stools. Any ideas on where to buy these things? Also looking for ideas for the movie room. Three tiers, how do I fill them? Sofas and chairs with tables? Lazy boys? A combination of the above?

Thanks!
Avoid Belfort at Dulles.

They have a nice showroom and good sales people, but anything that requires 3 months to build/deliver and then the end product is crap is so not worth it.

I bought a sofa that looked great in the ad, and at the store, but by the time it was delivered 3 months later, it looked like they filled the cushions with pancake batter....lumpy.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We did this type of theater seating with the center storage and cup holders. The room isn't large enough for tiers. With the size of teh room we did a "snack bar corner". The movie posters really help. The frames are great and not too expensive. They screw right into the wall and the frame snaps open and shut to make it easier to change the posters.
Wowee wow! What a fun room, I'm in love with your "snack bar corner". Where did you get all that stuff?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Wowee wow! What a fun room, I'm in love with your "snack bar corner". Where did you get all that stuff?
We bought the seating at Haverty's. The movie poster frames weren't too expensive, but they are nice. You can find them online at sites such as this: Movie Poster Frames 27 x 40
The popcorn machine came from Sam's Club. I collected soda pop signs for years and had a ton of them. I got rid of quite a few when we went more with the theater theme. I still have some that aren't hanging. The easiest way to get them nowadays is from places like eBay. Soda machines are easy to find and range greatly in price depending on what you are looking for. The one I have I had for years and decided to have it restored by Be-Bop Joes Vintage Restored Soda Machines and Soda machine Restorations You can find the square top machines fairly easily.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Wow! You guys are awesome!

Our movie room is already built, complete with the projector and a huge screen. It has three tiers, red walls, beautiful double wall sconces, and dark blue carpet. I live in a former model home so they added every bell and whistle, including 7, yes 7, televisions in the basement, including a 63" one in the family room part. I LOVE the movie poster frames and am definitely going to get those. When the house was furnished they had lots of those around the room. They also had the popcorn machine, but I had no idea where to get one. So thanks!

Since Leesburg is our closest ''big town'' I like the idea of looking there at antique stores.

I loved the stores suggested in Winchester and Hagerstown. I found great beds at both. Now I just need to go see them. I like Samuel Case and have been to his store in Purcellville several times. I may go by there again tomorrow to look at his beds. The last time we were just poking around.

Tonight I found LOTS of bar stools at Overstock.com. I'm going to try Craigslist too. But I have another question, are stools with backs better? Do I want swivel chairs or not? I know nothing about furnishing this big bar.

If someone can tell me how to link pictures from my files, I'll post pictures of the media room, what it looked like when it had furniture.

Thank you all for all the great ideas!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
I live in a former model home so they added every bell and whistle, including 7, yes 7, televisions in the basement, including a 63" one in the family room part.
Holy cow, you have tv's a-mundo. OK, the Super Bowl party is definitely at Denton's house!

Funny to realize I've probably been in your house. It's sort of s hobby of mine to go to those model homes, especially the ones in your neck of the woods that really got tricked up with all the bells in whistles. When they built that model row in Lansdowne, I couldn't believe some of the things they put in those homes! I think I've been in most of the ones around Leesburg. How fun to have bought one of those places, yes do let us see the photos.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM

262 posts, read 582,734 times
I'm glad Beatlecrazy had a good experience with Room Store...because I had a dreadful experience with them. Took over 9 months to get my entire order and when the final piece arrived broken, I called and told them to come and get everything. I no longer wanted to wait any longer. They were very agreeable to do that, which surprised me. They came and picked everything up. Something told me to get the driver to sign a list I quickly typed up listing everything I was returning since I had never gotten any paperwork when things were delivered. Whew...what a lifesaver that was.

A few days later some woman from Room Store called and said I had not returned a dresser and they could not give me credit for it. She was not very nice. When I mentioned that I had the signed receipt, she abruptly said she would call me back. A few days later they miraculously found the dresser. If I had not had that list signed, I would have been paying for a piece of furniture that I had returned. And had no proof that it indeed had been returned. Im sure that poor driver was told to never do that again.

I will NEVER deal with that business again!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Update on furniture. Following Mommy's recommendation, we went to Pattons in Winchester and LOVED it. Great store, jam packed with three floors of furniture. So much to choose from!

We ordered a king size Rice bed from Henkel Harris. Henkel Harris

Henkel Harris is still in Winchester, still made by hand, and still run by the Henkel family.
Henkel Harris They now have 250 employees, turning out the most beautiful furniture.

I'm going to back to Patton's this week to work on finding the furniture for the theater room.

I look every night for bar stools and so far these are my favorites.
Wood Restaurant Bar stool Ladderback barstools Diana - eBay (item 270412456426 end time Jun-30-09 14:39:42 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&it em=270412456426 - broken link)
Kristina Wooden Swivel Bar Stools - Frontgate
Home Gallery Furniture for Hillsdale Townsend

The ebay stool has the advantage of being cheap and I can order it to match the cherry cabinets in the bar, and the seat in dark green like the granite and walls.

I love the homegallerystores stool but it is so expensive and I'm not sure that men wouldn't find it too feminine.

What do you all think?

Your recommendations have been so great so how about one more? Where to get the popcorn machine? I want one of the big red ones on the big wheels.

Thanks all, you guys are great.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Avoid Belfort at Dulles.

They have a nice showroom and good sales people, but anything that requires 3 months to build/deliver and then the end product is crap is so not worth it.

I bought a sofa that looked great in the ad, and at the store, but by the time it was delivered 3 months later, it looked like they filled the cushions with pancake batter....lumpy.
I agree about Belfort, but will add that our experience with their salespeople was awful. They leeched on to us the moment we walked in the door and would not give us 2 minutes to walk around and actually LOOK at the furniture. At one point I actually had to ask a saleswomaan to please back off...and she did, fior about 30 seconds. I'm sure they are trained to do a hard sell and it's probably effective overall, but we found it a huge turnoff. We came to the store ready to spend money, but walked out with nothing but a bad taste in our mouths.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM

428 posts, read 1,115,306 times
Quote:
Update on furniture. Following Mommy's recommendation, we went to Pattons in Winchester and LOVED it. Great store, jam packed with three floors of furniture. So much to choose from!

We ordered a king size Rice bed from Henkel Harris. Henkel Harris

Henkel Harris is still in Winchester, still made by hand, and still run by the Henkel family.
Henkel Harris They now have 250 employees, turning out the most beautiful furniture.

I'm going to back to Patton's this week to work on finding the furniture for the theater room.
Hooray!!! I'm so glad you found something you like. And I'm really glad to hear, too, that Henkel Harris is still the company it's always been. I have an emotional attachment to their furniture.

Thanks for the update. It's fun to vicariously furniture shop through others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia