Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times

Advertisements

Is there Super Shuttle service to Union Station from McLean? I have also looked at the Metro. Am I correct that I need to transfer to the Red line to get there? There is no mention of Dunn Loring station on Metro's Orange line either so I don't know when it leaves or arrives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,045 times
Huh? Just get on the orange line at Vienna, Dunn Loring, or Falls Church, transfer to the red. Dunn Lorinng is between west falls church and Vienna stations.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:51 AM

I don't see Dunn Loring on the schedule. There are many more stations that are not listed. This is what I am looking at.

http://www.wmata.com/pdfs/rail/Midday.pdf

Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
You don't see it? It's right there on the map on that pdf, to the right (East) of Vienna/Fairfax, Orange Line.

I don't know about a shuttle except that I thought SuperShuttle was to get to the airport.

I don't know why anyone from McLean would go to Dunn Loring Metro instead of West or East Falls Church.

You would need to transfer from Orange to Red Line at Metro Center to get to Union Station.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 AM

I see it on the map but not on the schedule couple pages down. I don't live there so I apologize if I am unfamiliar with the area. I am trying to help my son get to Union Station without driving.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
If you go to the WMATA home page, you can enter in the start address, the end address, and what time you want to leave/arrive, and it will give you a few options involving Metrobuses and Metrorail.

Unfortunately, though, it's pretty difficult to get anywhere from McLean using public transportation.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM

303 posts, read 918,381 times
I wouldn't worry about trying to catch a particular metro train, as listed on the schedule. Unless your son will be traveling at an unusual hour, he can just show up whenever he gets there and hop the next train that arrives. They run pretty frequently. If you do want to time it more precisely, Dunn Loring is the stop right after Vienna/Fairfax, so just add a couple of minutes to the posted time for Vienna.

My husband did the trip to Union Station from Vienna a few weeks ago and it took an hour. I can't remember whether this was before or after the red line slowdowns after the metro accident, however. I don't know whether the slowdowns in the area of the accident reverberate through the rest of the red line. Also, yesterday's metro revelation that the flaw at the site of the accident exists elsewhere may extend the areas of slowdown. So I'd allow a lot of time to get to Union Station from the time of arriving at the local metro stop - maybe two hours, if he has the time to spare.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 AM

303 posts, read 918,381 times
Upon reflection, DH's metro trip to Union Station may have been 45 minutes. Whatever it was, he made his train with only about 15 seconds to spare, so I recommend a more generous approach to timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia