Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 7,017 times

Advertisements

When one speaks of "urban communities" are you saying black or non-white? I am a mid-aged black professional moving to McLean, Va for work purposes. Where can I live to get full diversity apartment living? I am coming from Illinois and am used to a suburban multi-cultural environment. But don't get me wrong, I want to still get my "single-life partying and events" on the weekends. I can afford Tyson's Center but I want the amenities of outside the workplace also. Can someone just be frank and answer me on this one? Is racism evident in McLean? I just want to know what I'm moving into. Specifically housing. Just dealing with reality, so please, no one get affended. If not McLean, please suggest an area nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrogster View Post
When one speaks of "urban communities" are you saying black or non-white? I am a mid-aged black professional moving to McLean, Va for work purposes. Where can I live to get full diversity apartment living? I am coming from Illinois and am used to a suburban multi-cultural environment. But don't get me wrong, I want to still get my "single-life partying and events" on the weekends. I can afford Tyson's Center but I want the amenities of outside the workplace also. Can someone just be frank and answer me on this one? Is racism evident in McLean? I just want to know what I'm moving into. Specifically housing. Just dealing with reality, so please, no one get affended. If not McLean, please suggest an area nearby.
For a largely suburban area, Northern Virginia in general is one of the most diverse regions around, your Chicagoland notwithstanding.

McLean is an upscale area that stands out among similarly upper-income areas. However, I would not anticipate any issues from being a black professional among other professionals. If anything, in my observation, there's more of a class issue than race/ethnicity issue, especially for some aspiring or achieving government workers.

McLean is not where you'll want to get your party on. If there's a place that 30-40somethings in NOVA are likely to congregate, it may be Old Town Alexandria. Others may have their own suggestions as well. You may largely find yourself frequenting watering holes scattered across the area as in many other suburbs.

On the other hand, if you're looking more for a gathering of "buppies" (black urban professionals), then you will probably find yourself spending a lot of quality time in DC (particularly U Street) and the Prince Georges County suburbs in MD.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Money rules the area if you are a nicely dressed sucessful black person you will be accepted - if you are all hip hopped out with gold teeth the whites in McLean will look at you funny.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrogster View Post
It depends on what type of atmosphere you want. I'm black live in Oakton about 15 minutes (30 in traffic) from Tyson's. It's nice I like it. I like the pleasant suburban atmosphere and have never had a problem. If I want to go out in the city or visit a coworker in Old Town they're both within a half hour drive.

At the same time I would say if I had the money I'd live closer in. Arlington is nice. You could get a place in Ballston or Clarendon. At the end of the day there are not a lot of black folks in this part of VA. Like someone suggested Prince George's county places like Upper Marlboro will have more black professionals. But with a job in Tysons the drive will be just be too much from Upper Marlboro.

A lot of people with the means are doing the reverse commute from the city. I know a guy in Georgetown who does that. So that's an option if you have the money. Keeping a car in the city is expensive but you kinda want one if you're working in Tyson's. So that's an option. U street is awesome. That's my dream neighborhood.

McLean is nice and I can't imagine you'd have any problems it's upscale and you'd be close to work and not that far from the city where you'll do most of your partying. Old Town in Alexandria is great for the mature single set but too far from Tysons to be considered a desireable commute.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
As others have mentioned, McLean is more about a class issue. If you're single and Black, DC or the VA areas like Arlington, Clarendon, etc. are better for socializing. If you get an apt in McLean, going out to these places aren't that far. If you like clubs, there are a few good ones in DC, although they appear to switch owners sometimes and it depends on what crowd prefers what club. If you prefer smaller gatherings with friends at restaurants, bars, or lounges, there's plenty to choose from in DC. Also, DC has the theatres, gallery art openings, shops, coffee houses, etc.

I'm not familiar with the happenings in Old Town Alexandria. But that would be a ways for you to travel. The suburbs west of McLean are pretty corny. Good luck on your move!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I lived in suburban Maryland for many years where I think blacks are a much more prevalent minority than in Northern Virginia. In Northern Virginia, I see more Hispanics, Asians, Middle Easterners, and East Indians. Having said that, most people around here are used to seeing "non-whites" and people of all cultures and nationalities, many wearing ethnic garb from their home countries. I live in Vienna, which is admittedly more white than many parts of Northern Virginia as I am guessing McLean is, too. And I would not blink an eyelash at a black person becoming my neighbor. To compare, I grew up in suburban Philadelphia where the races are very segregated. If a black person was in my neighborhood, one would have assumed it was a cleaning person (female) or would have been calling the cops on him (male). No disrepect, that's just how it was. I cannot imagine that happening here. It's much more overall diverse and accepting. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
There are quite a few Asians (I'd guess 25%) in the neighborhood I'm considering moving to in Fairfax City, with a sprinkling of AAs, Hispanics, South Asians, and Middle Easterners and a narrow white majority. The "everyone living happily together" vibe is one of the reasons I liked the neighborhood.

The best "multicultural" vibe I've gotten from a neighborhood in D.C. is Capitol Hill East/Eastern Market. They could practically film Sesame Street there.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 PM

131 posts, read 426,059 times
I lived in mclean for 1.5 years. It's not so bad for singles as some say, arlington is maybe a 15 minute drive and the metro isn't walking distance yet but a short drive away.

The area is predominantly white, moreso then most of the rest of nova. Asians are probably the biggest minority group. There are some areas - such as the denser parts near tysons which are not as rich and less families. I don't feal racism is a particular issue, certainly not more then other parts of nova.

THe biggest black population in nova is IMO the woodbridge/dumfries area, and I consider it one of the most diverse parts of nova. Don't expect to find much nightlife there though.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post
The biggest black population in nova is IMO the woodbridge/dumfries area, and I consider it one of the most diverse parts of nova. Don't expect to find much nightlife there though.
Yes, I think it's mostly families there and not much to do. The OP, as a single person, would probably be bored.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:23 AM

75 posts, read 95,107 times
I just hate these types of questions. You know damn well Northern Virginia is "mult-cultural." More so than DC. No area is all white, because that is where the Middle Easterners and Asians want to live.

If I said, "where are the white neighborhoods?", my post wouldn't survive lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia