Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,184,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hechoenchina View Post
I just hate these types of questions. You know damn well Northern Virginia is "multi-cultural." More so than DC. No area is all white, because that is where the Middle Easterners and Asians want to live.

If I said, "where are the white neighborhoods?", my post wouldn't survive lunch.
I don't think the OP was asking "Where are the black neighborhoods?" but rather, whether a black professional would feel comfortable in McLean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM

75 posts, read 95,341 times
You're right Tone; he did not. Others have, and it just seemed to have the same look and feel. Do all black professionals feel the same way about neighborhoods? I think not.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,022 times
I can only loosely speak for black neighborhoods - in particular, the one where I grew up. After more than 20 years, about 25 (or more) of us still make it a point to keep in touch with each other. We still picnic together, call each other weekly - no greater than monthly. In fact my high school alumnus is one of the strongest alumni groups I have ever seen. This alumni started in the 1950's and people still literally swarm from all over the country to attend our annual dance - even graduates of 2007! We are working on a world record for the largest high school Facebook alumnus wall. It's working well too! Things like line dancing, steppin' or hand-dancing are most visible in the black neighborhood. It is so much fun!

So it's not about just black professionals, it's about the black culture. I'm sure other cultures have distinct attributes that are just as vibrant. That's why I asked the question, because it is a large makeup of who I am. I'm less professional after hours for a reason: Reminding yourself of your cultural history keeps you focused on your future. It makes blending even more acceptable, appreciated and confident in belonging.

I can somewhat understand your plight about asking about "white neighborhoods" and the anticipated mayhem it may cause. However, history created that monster - not I. I am optimistic that one day you will be able to ask that question freely without reservation.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,022 times
Thanks everyone for your insight. Looks like Asburn, Va will be home for me. It's just what I'm looking for. Thanks again!!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,236,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hechoenchina View Post
I just hate these types of questions. You know damn well Northern Virginia is "mult-cultural." More so than DC. No area is all white, because that is where the Middle Easterners and Asians want to live.

If I said, "where are the white neighborhoods?", my post wouldn't survive lunch.
Faulty comparison. The OP isn't asking "where are the black (or Hispanic, or Arab...) neighborhoods." They want to know if they will feel comfortable in a particular area. I don't fault a minority person for wanting to scope out a desirable, but mostly majority, area in advance.

Black friends of mine used to joke "what do you call a black person in Virginia? Stranded!" because many neighborhoods were so predominantly white.

The diversity in NoVa, particularly in Fairfax County which was NOT diverse all that long ago, is on the increase, true. Much of that diversity is Hispanic and Asian.

I agree with others that in McLean and much of NoVA today, with the higher levels of education and economics, there would not be a negative reaction from the neighbors.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 AM

139 posts, read 293,225 times
Wow. Ashburn is about the last place that I would have suggested. I don't know where you work, but DC is where you should go for that kind of environment.
Moderator Cut: Careful with the stereotypes.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-29-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Yes, soon there will be no such thing as a white neighborhood or a patch of earth that isn't paved over as per federal immigration policy.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,184,562 times
I'm also surprised by the choice of Ashburn per your preferences. Perhaps you will find the social options around Tysons Corner and Reston Town Center to be to your liking, although these aren't traditional downtowns per se. I predict you may be spending at least some weekends in DC as you get more settled in.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:50 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,833,399 times
I agree that DC is multi-cultural, but honestly it is becoming more and more Hispanic than anything else. I live in Alexandria, VA. I have also grown up in this area and lived in Reston. I have not been to Reston in a long time, but I am told it is like a little city. You may enjoy that. Also, Arlington is multicultural, but again, mostly Hispanic now.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I agree that DC is multi-cultural, but honestly it is becoming more and more Hispanic than anything else. I live in Alexandria, VA. I have also grown up in this area and lived in Reston. I have not been to Reston in a long time, but I am told it is like a little city. You may enjoy that. Also, Arlington is multicultural, but again, mostly Hispanic now.
I wouldn't disagree with that. There are more Hispanics in the US than blacks anyway. Still, if you want black culture, I would not say that there is much of it in VA. I don't know of any. DC certainly has a black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia