Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM

61 posts, read 157,165 times

Advertisements

What's an extroverted accountant? Looks at your knees rather than your shoes when talking to you.

Sorry Scran...btw...I am accountant....taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:22 AM

61 posts, read 157,165 times
Seriously...I would look to recruiters and if you have any contacts...How long have you worked in the field? Have you made any contacts? What type of accountant.... Public vs Private?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

25 posts, read 76,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2009 View Post
Seriously...I would look to recruiters and if you have any contacts...How long have you worked in the field? Have you made any contacts? What type of accountant.... Public vs Private?
I have worked in this field for about 7 years. Mainly jr to staff accounting work. I have tried to get senior level jobs but, it hasn't worked out. I have been in public accounting. I have also met with a couple of recruiters this year but, they haven't reached out to help. One said "I have had a string of bad luck" and that employers are looking for specific software experience like SAP or GCS Premier, which I don't have. But, a year ago they were calling ME to set up job interviews. I feel I have hit a dead end with this field. I have out of work for 9 months.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
What are your salary requirements? Real estate offices usually need people with skills such as yours. You may want to send your resume to some of the larger real estate companies.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times
Contact a recruiter/head-hunter. My wife is an accountant. She got tired of her old firm (unappreciated 80-100hr work weeks) and wanted to pursue working with a smaller firm at the end of this past spring. The head hunter helped her get her resume polished and line up interviews. She had 2 offers within 2 weeks that were higher than her old salary. It sounded like there were still plenty of jobs out there.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Contact a recruiter/head-hunter. My wife is an accountant. She got tired of her old firm (unappreciated 80-100hr work weeks) and wanted to pursue working with a smaller firm at the end of this past spring. The head hunter helped her get her resume polished and line up interviews. She had 2 offers within 2 weeks that were higher than her old salary. It sounded like there were still plenty of jobs out there.
Sounds like your wife is fortunate. Does she have an accounting degree? I have a BS in Business administration.
My salary requirements are in the mid 40s. I should be in the $60-70 range but, I can't seem to land a job with that kind of a salary. I worked for a temp agency and left due to poor work enviornment and the staffing company threaten or is black balling me. I was working with one recruiter but, I have not heard from her in almost a week.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 PM

56 posts, read 94,691 times
Do you like accounting? If you do then you need to change your approach. I would be very hesitant hiring a staff accountant who had multiple jobs in 10 years and was unemployed for 9 months. It does not sound like your job changes are for advancement. You are going to have to tell a different story because your competition does not carry that baggage. They are employed and looking to move up.

One thing I would do is enroll in the UVA northern virginia accounting program Accounting Certificate - CPA Exam - Auditing - Taxation - University of Virginia

Tell people that you like accounting and are working towards your CPA.

Can you do bookkeeping for your local PTA, Cub Scouts, church, etc.? You sound like you need some references. Do you know anyone professionally who would recommend you?

Do you just take instructions or do you provide value? Some examples that I did was converting a manual system to a computer system, auditing invoices and saving money, suggesting changes to the monthly close process that saved 2 days time, made collection calls, etc. etc.

People like to hire winners and winners provide value. They are going somewhere and they produce ideas and opportunities. You need to get out of "things just didn't work out". Honestly, no one gives a crap about that, they want to know what you are going to do for them.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
Do you like accounting? If you do then you need to change your approach. I would be very hesitant hiring a staff accountant who had multiple jobs in 10 years and was unemployed for 9 months. It does not sound like your job changes are for advancement. You are going to have to tell a different story because your competition does not carry that baggage. They are employed and looking to move up.

One thing I would do is enroll in the UVA northern virginia accounting program Accounting Certificate - CPA Exam - Auditing - Taxation - University of Virginia

Tell people that you like accounting and are working towards your CPA.

Can you do bookkeeping for your local PTA, Cub Scouts, church, etc.? You sound like you need some references. Do you know anyone professionally who would recommend you?

Do you just take instructions or do you provide value? Some examples that I did was converting a manual system to a computer system, auditing invoices and saving money, suggesting changes to the monthly close process that saved 2 days time, made collection calls, etc. etc.

People like to hire winners and winners provide value. They are going somewhere and they produce ideas and opportunities. You need to get out of "things just didn't work out". Honestly, no one gives a crap about that, they want to know what you are going to do for them.
I have reduced cost for one company and worked as a sudden supervisor for temp help while a controller was being interviewed. I do not have the money to invest in accounting courses. I need tuition reimbursement for that. How long should one stay on a job? By the way, I DID leave one job for upward mobility on another. How would like to be called a "pain in the ass" for asking will I will start an auditing assignment or told to "step up" when I am already doing the job of three people? I just made all bad moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia