Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 AM

154 posts, read 504,105 times

Advertisements

Ok, so maybe I am pushing my luck but I have received such awesome and almost priceless information so far that I felt I could ask another question and get the same help that will most likely help me significantly.

Does anyone know where I can go to find the Top schools in Norther VA? I also would like to know how I can find out what the feeder elementary schools and middle schools are? This will probably help us figure out where to move. We're relocating to northern VA in a month and the race is on...lol.

I found out that the top schools that I was looking at, TJ and Woodlawn, are not typical high schools. I would really like to know what the high school counterparts/equivalents (or as close to equivalents as possible) to TJ and Woodlawn are.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,858 times
Check out these websites.

Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Fairfax County Public Schools - Schools and Centers Directory

Old 09-27-2009, 09:47 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
I found out that the top schools that I was looking at, TJ and Woodlawn, are not typical high schools. I would really like to know what the high school counterparts/equivalents (or as close to equivalents as possible) to TJ and Woodlawn are.

Thanks!
There are no traditional, neighborhood public school equivalents to HB Woodlawn in the area. "HB" as it is often called is a small 6-12th grade school of about 600 students that is pedagogically opposed to the "traditional" high school. There might be a few private schools that have a similar teaching/learning philosophy.

If you're looking at Westbriar in Vienna (as you posted in another thread), I believe that feeds in Marshall HS, which is a solid school. You can check out its profile on the Fairfax county schools website: FCPS - School Profiles - Marshall HS

Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Thanks, live_strong28 and Irvine. Irvine, when you say solid, do you mean that Marshall HS provides a stellar education and most of the students are actually continuing on to college? I'll check out the profile you sent me. I think I am going to consider Vienna b/c I really want my sons to attend Fairfax County schools and I was told that there aren't any in Alexandria...

Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Thanks, live_strong28 and Irvine. Irvine, when you say solid, do you mean that Marshall HS provides a stellar education and most of the students are actually continuing on to college? I'll check out the profile you sent me. I think I am going to consider Vienna b/c I really want my sons to attend Fairfax County schools and I was told that there aren't any in Alexandria...
The vast majority of students that graduate from Fairfax County Public Schools - and Loudoun and (probably) Prince William County schools - are academically prepared for college. If one uses SAT as an indicator, then those high schools with the most upper-income households - a relative factor in this affluent area - tend to produce more college-ready students than those with the most socioeconomic diversity. But even at the latter, you won't see any impromptu stage productions of Lean On Me or The Substitute.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
b/c I really want my sons to attend Fairfax County schools and I was told that there aren't any in Alexandria...

There is an incorpoarated City of Alexandria with it's own school system, but there is a large unincorporated section of Fairfax County that uses an Alexandria address. This unincorporated area is served by FCPS.

FCPS high schools with Alexandria addresses:

Mount Vernon
West Potomac
Edison
Hayfield
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
There is an incorpoarated City of Alexandria with it's own school system, but there is a large unincorporated section of Fairfax County that uses an Alexandria address. This unincorporated area is served by FCPS.

Mount Vernon
West Potomac
Edison
Hayfield
Thomas Jefferson
I'll be sure to research these schools and put them on the list. There is only one TJ right? I just want to make sure. I am not so sure I want to aim for that school b/c my sons haven't really shown any signs as of right now that they are into math and science over any other subject. I would only do this if they were REALLY into math and science. If they display that type of interest later, then we will aim for that school. I was originally interested in TJ b/c my hubby and I are both in the IT field and I feel my sons do tend to like IT, I guess b/c we are in the field. But they are both too young for me to focus on TJ when my sons have to apply just to get in.

Thanks for the information on the other high schools in the Fairfax County area! Very helpful.

Do you know of any of these high schools that are particular great compared to the others?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Smile Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The vast majority of students that graduate from Fairfax County Public Schools - and Loudoun and (probably) Prince William County schools - are academically prepared for college. If one uses SAT as an indicator, then those high schools with the most upper-income households - a relative factor in this affluent area - tend to produce more college-ready students than those with the most socioeconomic diversity. But even at the latter, you won't see any impromptu stage productions of Lean On Me or The Substitute.

I keep hearing this and I am beginning to wonder if maybe I am being too meticulous which I am known to be sometimes. I am basically getting the idea that my sons will do exceptionally well at any of these high schools. I guess now it's just a matter of looking at the other factors like diversity and which city do we want to live in. I like Manassas but I am not too happy with schools there. I think they could be better from personal experience and current review.

Thanks for the info.!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:17 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Mount Vernon
West Potomac
Edison
Hayfield
Thomas Jefferson
With the exception of TJ, those are the lowest preforming high schools in Fairfax county.

Highest preforming schools are always in the richest areas because that's where the most educated parents are. Educated parents tend to put a lot of emphasis on education. In Fairfax county the top schools are:
Langley
McLean
Woodson
Madison
Oakton

The are also all AP schools, as is TJ. It's the program that most parents prefer. The low preforming schools in FCPS have the IB program, rather than AP. So you need to pay attention if a school has IB rather than AP. With the exception of Marshall, most of them are among the lowest performing schools. Marshall is definitely the best of the IB schools but not quite in a league with schools listed above. It's a shame that our school board decided to stick the poorest kids with the IB program, a program that will earn them far less college credits.

Recent news release from FCPS:
FCPS - News Releases

SAT comparisons can be found in Table 2 at the bottom of this page:
FCPS - News Releases

Good luck on your search!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 PM

518 posts, read 1,451,036 times
A few notes on Fairfax County, City of Falls Church, and Arlington County Schools:

Reading through your posts inquiring about high schools it seems you want ethnic and/or socio-economic diversity and a good school. In Northern Virginia you have many, many options. For the better schools in terms of overall test scores (standardized tests, SATs, etc), I would look at the North Arlington high schools, the City of Falls Church, and all the Fairfax County schools that appeal to you that strike a good balance in terms of the diversity you seek and academic accomplishments. Just look at the profile pages for the high schools on the Fairfax County Schools website (and the relevant ones for the Arlington and Falls Church public school systems).

The majority of Fairfax County schools are ethnically diverse. The most ethnically diverse school might still be Annandale HS, which has had a "balanced" mix of the various ethnicities (primarily asian, white, and hispanic) for many years.

Arlington County schools are diverse as well, except that current and projected demographic trends reflect an overall and significant decrease in ethnic minorities in most county schools, as older, affordable housing becomes scarce due to redevelopment. The two North Arlington high schools are each projected to be at well over 2,000 students in a couple years and much less diverse, so expect some boundary changes to balance things out. The last significant middle and high school boundary changes in Arlington County happened about 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia