Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM

11 posts, read 132,612 times

Advertisements

I had accident on Oct 30 at 7:30 PM by hitting back of a car, and that car hit another car. So I have responsible for 2 cars. The cops were there at that moment and taking report.

Cop took the victims (2 cars) report and finally came to me and explained what I did. He gave me Virginia Uniform Summons along with 2 victims reports. While this is the first time I had, I didn't know what rules I have to follow.

In this Summons, he mentioned a GENERAL DISTRICT COURT(TRAFFIC) address to attend on a date and time. and also mentioned law section code, which I don't understand. In the same slip, he gave calling number and checked "YOU MAY AVOID COMING TO COURT...".

I think I can avoid the court by paying the penalty by calling that number. When can I call to that number? When can I pay that penalty? Do I get points?

And another question, the Cop gave me 2 victims details hand written on two reports, I can't understand his writing. When I called to my insurance company, they asked me the details of victims, but I can't understand what cop written. How do get their information?

Please someone help on this...

Last edited by skkuchipudi; 11-02-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
You can pre-pay, but you still have to pay the court costs AND you will be getting points on your license. Go to this website for the "prepay" options.

http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...do?index=index

Old 11-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Thank you Kevin,

I went to this site and searched for my name, but I didn't find any record on my name.

What is the court costs? How can I pay this? is that available on the same record I searched? We can pay online?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Where did this happen? You cannot prepay on accidents in some areas in Va. Maybe where you are you can. You should have a case number from the officer. The insurance co can use that to get all the info they need.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkuchipudi View Post
Thank you Kevin,

I went to this site and searched for my name, but I didn't find any record on my name.

What is the court costs? How can I pay this? is that available on the same record I searched? We can pay online?
I may take a few days to show up. Be sure to search by the correct "county" and/or "court". The breakdown will be displayed. If it is a pre-payable offense you will be able to pay from the same website.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Where did this happen? You cannot prepay on accidents in some areas in Va. Maybe where you are you can. You should have a case number from the officer. The insurance co can use that to get all the info they need.
It happened in Alexandria. In the summons, police put an option that I may avoid to attend the court and given a number to call.

About the Case number: In the case number area (located on the top right side corner), they left it blank. But in the top left side, it has a printed number starts with 001xxxxxx, is it the Case number?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I may take a few days to show up. Be sure to search by the correct "county" and/or "court". The breakdown will be displayed. If it is a pre-payable offense you will be able to pay from the same website.
I think so it takes some time to insert my record, I searched in with exact area what in the summons mentioned.

do you know how many points will I get? Is there any chances to avoid those?

What is the maximum limit demerit points for Virginia state to suspend our license?

I heard one suggestion from one of my friends that if we use attorney to attend the court on behalf of me, and ask the judge to attend Defensive Driving course, that we can avoid the points. Is that true?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkuchipudi View Post
It happened in Alexandria. In the summons, police put an option that I may avoid to attend the court and given a number to call.

About the Case number: In the case number area (located on the top right side corner), they left it blank. But in the top left side, it has a printed number starts with 001xxxxxx, is it the Case number?

You may have to call the police department and leave a message for the officer. Tell him you need the case number for your insurance co. This number is not a secret so you can get it. I don't think the number you have is the case number. It will probably start with 09-xxxxxx but I can't speak on how Alexandria does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia