Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Hello everyone!

It's me again! The semester is pretty much over, and even though I don't graduate until May 2010, my time is getting shorter. I still very much have my heart set on living in Alexandria or any of the surrounding areas depending on my finances. So I will more than likely start off working at a Human Resources Assistant since it's entry level. About how much would I have to make a year to have a decent standard of living in Alexandria because I know the COL is extremely high. I know thar HR assistants make anywhere between 30-50k or something like that. So my starting salary will probaly be between 30-35k. Would this be enough to live off in Alexandria? Also how is the job market in Alexandria and the surrounding areas? Are the any openings for HR Assistants? Thanks for all of your help!
OTOH.... re-reading your post I see you seem to have your heart set on Nova and you've spent some time thinking about it. So, Alexandria just might be the perfect place for you. Yes, it's pricey, but you could make it work for you--especially if you get a roommate or two. The trick is to interview roommates carefully. There are some horror stories out there but in my observation it works out more often than it doesn't.

And, after a year or so if you decide you'd rather have a less expensive place out in the 'burbs you'll have some friends who already live out there and you'll have a good idea of where you'd like to live.

Whatever you do, get the job first before you sign a lease!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times
Thank you all so much for your responses! They have been very helpful! I'm pretty disappointed however because I've had my heart set on moving to Alexandria for over a year now but based on alot of replies I've received I may not be able to afford it. I really don't want to have to live pay check to pay check. Beginning salaries for recent graduates in the human resources field are pretty good but obviously not good enough for Alexandria. I was really looking foward to experiencing what the city has to offer such as the different outdoors activities and the softball leagues that the city offers through its community center. But I have to be realistic, I don't think I can afford to live there. But I'm not going to give up because there's still hope. Where there's a will, there's a way! I can use all the advice I can get so keep them coming! Again Thank you so much! If any of you have any ideas as to how I can cut costs while living in Alexandria that would be great!

Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Thank you all so much for your responses! They have been very helpful! I'm pretty disappointed however because I've had my heart set on moving to Alexandria for over a year now but based on alot of replies I've received I may not be able to afford it. I really don't want to have to live pay check to pay check. Beginning salaries for recent graduates in the human resources field are pretty good but obviously not good enough for Alexandria. I was really looking foward to experiencing what the city has to offer such as the different outdoors activities and the softball leagues that the city offers through its community center. But I have to be realistic, I don't think I can afford to live there. But I'm not going to give up because there's still hope. Where there's a will, there's a way! I can use all the advice I can get so keep them coming! Again Thank you so much! If any of you have any ideas as to how I can cut costs while living in Alexandria that would be great!
It's very expensive here. Look at some other threads on the same subject for more details. But, that being said, youth is the time for doing outlandish and risky things, so why not? What have you got to lose? When I was young I bought a vehicle (1978 Toyota Landcruiser) that everyone said was stupid, and it was, but I still remember it fondly and consider it my favorite of all time.

You probably have no assets to lose, no resume to damage, no spouse or kids to worry about, and no career to get locked into because you have to stay here.
So, if your heart is set on it, do it. Just don't take it personally if it isn't what you thought it would be.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
It's typical for new college grads or otherwise 20somethings settling into NOVA to live with at least one roommate. I'd think this would actually be fun, assuming all the roomies did their due diligence on compatibility and shared responsibilities. Having "instant friends" to hang out and go out with could make the transition into "the real world" a little smoother.

Going by this logic, living in Alexandria would certainly be doable on $30-35K. Most roommate ads I've seen ask for $600-800/month which is reasonable. Ff course, this is assuming that you have no major debts.

EDIT: I just realized that normie more or less said the same thing.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
If you really want to move to Alexandria then go for it. Is $35K a low salary in the DC area? Yes. Is it impossible to live out said low salary and still be comfortable? No. It will depend on how much debt you have but you can live off that if you're willing to have roommates. There are plenty of rooms for rent in the high rises. Also there are cheaper areas like Fairfax or Woodbridge. I think there are so many opportunities in this area and it's all in all a good place to be and if you like it then do it. Don't give up. Either way best of luck to you.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:11 AM

261 posts, read 1,300,804 times
Without giving anything away, my daughter is making under $30K and managing. No, she's not saving much, and she does have a fully paid for newish car, but she does live alone (as I said a studio) that is within walking distance of the metro. She only has the car for work so if you were working in Alexandria and could do without the car then I think you could definitely do it. You find reasonable options (the washington post has an Interns guide that tells you about cheap food/bars/entertainment).

I would agree, though, that sharing if you can get your head around it, is a good option - assuming you are on a similar wavelength then you have potential friends on tap.

Can I just ask though - why Alexandria? It's a very pretty town, to be sure, and I'd kill for some of those houses, but I'm in my 50s. DD ended up there by chance rather than design.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
I'm not sure that that's not a rather too dire prediction.

FYI - DD lives in Alexandria and these are "basic" outgoings monthly
rent - $1150 (studio, includes utilities)
car insurance - $140
health insurance $120
cell phone $50
internet $30
student loans $68

Obviously that doesn't include food, gas, repairs, entertainment or any of the other things you might consider necessary.

She very much enjoys NOVA, even being poor.
I lived in Alexandria between 2001-2003 on about 37k a year. Rent was about 1200 a month with water/electric and a compact washer/dryer. This was approx a 800sq/ft apartment. It wasn't in Old Town, but off route 1 about 10-15 minutes south. Car insuarance wasn't nearly that expensive, maybe $40 a month on a '93 Toyota, also health insuarance was cheaper at around $50. No student loans either. I made my meals for work lunch, so I could save my fun money for the weekends. No roommates, but sure would have made things easier. I had a roommate the year before and it was about $700 each for the apartment.

If you find living here is too expensive, I'd suggest moving somewhere less expensive or get a higher paying job. No sense living somewhere that makes you feel miserable.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
Without giving anything away, my daughter is making under $30K and managing. No, she's not saving much, and she does have a fully paid for newish car, but she does live alone (as I said a studio) that is within walking distance of the metro. She only has the car for work so if you were working in Alexandria and could do without the car then I think you could definitely do it. You find reasonable options (the washington post has an Interns guide that tells you about cheap food/bars/entertainment).

I would agree, though, that sharing if you can get your head around it, is a good option - assuming you are on a similar wavelength then you have potential friends on tap.

Can I just ask though - why Alexandria? It's a very pretty town, to be sure, and I'd kill for some of those houses, but I'm in my 50s. DD ended up there by chance rather than design.
Yeah I can do without a car but I think my parents are buying me one as a graduation present. But I'm still a little worried because I do have student loans to pay off. I chose Alexandria because it's very beautiful and close to D.C. because I don't want to live in D.C. but work and commute from Alexandria. I also love all of the recreational opportunities such as the different sports leagues offered through the city. The city is just a perfect fit for me and I still want to live there even though it's extremely expensive. Hopefully it all works out.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 AM

Also I wanted to add that if Alexandria is too expensive for me I'm more than open to looking at different areas in NOVA like Fairfax, Falls Church,etc. If you could give me some info on those places as well I would appreciate it.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:26 AM

261 posts, read 1,300,804 times
Well you may have to do what DD did - apply to have your student loan repayments reduced IBRinfo :: Help is here! Of course there are downsides to this program but it is an option.

DD's car insurance is higher as her car is a 2008 Honda. When it was a 97 Saturn insurance was lower in Alexandria than it had been in Pittsburgh. Health insurance will vary depending on whether you are female or not (sigh).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia