Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times

Advertisements

Yippeeeee.............finally, some common sense, and finally the majority rules! MOST people do NOT object to Christmas trees or Menorrahs or any other decorations. Those few who get upset will just have to learn to COPE.

Another vote against the stupid political correctness that has made so many things more difficult for so many people!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysons2008 View Post
Hope they don't leave out the Festivus pole. Festivus for the Rest of Us!
Yeah yeah yeah! A big tall one, wrapped with all sorts of lights. That would be very cool. Quick, someone organize a Festivus committee so you can donate one.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM

The controversy continues....

Loudoun Times

Edward Myers of Sterling has submitted an application for a deliberately offensive decoration to go alongside the Christmas Tree. Actually, I don't think it's all that offensive except that it does include some suggestive and offensive language.

It's intended to celebrate the Dec. 15 anniversary of the signing of the Bill of Rights, and includes a parody of the Twelve Days of Christmas that mocks politicians while criticizing the unemployment rate and health care. Personally, I think the concept is funny. I like the idea of having a decoration that celebrates the signing of the Bill of Rights, and the idea of having a parody.

But.... it is a little weird to veer away from having spiritual decorations or snow related decorations. And I'm definitely not thrilled about the expletives. Maybe the Board of Supervisors Could pass a rule that no decoration may have no words, or maybe something about adhering to FCC guidelines.

Myers said his intent was to deliberately offend people. "I wanted it to be offensive so people would talk about the issue of free speech," he said.

Well bah humbug to that! Provoking people to debate free speech is all fine and good but deliberately offending people is definitely not in keeping with Peace on Earth, Goodwill to All, i.e. the traditional holiday spirit.

So, that's my two cents. What do you guys think?

Last edited by normie; 12-09-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The controversy continues....

Loudoun Times

An application for a decoration to go alongside the Christma Tree has been submitted by Edward Myers of Sterling. It's intended to celebrate the Dec. 15 anniversary of the signing of the Bill of Rights. Apparently it includes a parody of the Twelve Days of Christmas that mocks politicians while criticizing the unemployment rate and health care. It includes a few expletives, as well.

Personally, I think it's sort of funny. I like the idea of having a decoration that celebrates the signing of the Bill of Rights. But....I'm not thrilled about the expletives. Maybe the Board of Supervisors Could pass a rule that no decoration may have more than three words and the words must all adhere to FCC guidelines.

Myers said his intent was to offend people. "I wanted it to be offensive so people would talk about the issue of free speech," he said. I think that's questionable, too. Provoking people to debate free speech is not really in keeping with the traditional holiday spirit. And deliberately offending people is definitely not in keeping with Peace on Earth, Goodwill to All.

So, what do you guys think?
As a libertarian, I think Mr. Myers should be able to post whatever he pleases. If the politicans want to whine, they deserve any judgement towards them.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
It's funny to realize this finally got resolved on a day when it's sunny-sunny-sunny and 95 degrees outside. Anyway, the vote was last night and by a huge majority they decided to allow the tree and other decorations to remain.

I'm so glad, banning the tree just seemed wrong. We need all the little bits of lightness and brightnes and sparkle and tinsel we can find these days.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Merry Christmas, everyone! :-)

Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Why not use one of those colorful outdoor digital signs and that way every religion in the entire country can display their holiday greeting for the same amount of time, the same size, and the same location throughout the holiday season? That way, the courthouse maintenance dept. won't have to worry about clutter?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/2010opns/10-067-Marshall.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Why not use one of those colorful outdoor digital signs and that way every religion in the entire country can display their holiday greeting for the same amount of time, the same size, and the same location throughout the holiday season? That way, the courthouse maintenance dept. won't have to worry about clutter?
But then environmentalists will protest the use of electricity! Al Gore needs all the electricity to power his mansions!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
One big reason is that putting up a tree is not about plugging in a decoration. It's about a group of people getting together, having cocoa and working on a project together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia