Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 PM

14 posts, read 27,398 times

Advertisements

Hi, I plan to relocate to the area in the next few months and I am totally confused as to where to move. I need to be next to DC and Mclean. I am looking for a nice apartment in a safe neighborhood that is kid friendly. I am not looking for a party town but not a retirement home either. I have been looking mainly in the Arlington and Alexandria areas specifically at the following apartments: Cascades at Landmark, the Forty Six Hundred, Colchester Towne, and Rose Hill of Alexandria. None of these are in Arlington but I would like to explore some nice 2 bedrooms ($1500) in the Arlington area because I heard it was safer and had better schools (not sure if that is possbile with my budget). Could someone please give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:14 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2010 View Post
Hi, I plan to relocate to the area in the next few months and I am totally confused as to where to move. I need to be next to DC and Mclean. I am looking for a nice apartment in a safe neighborhood that is kid friendly. I am not looking for a party town but not a retirement home either. I have been looking mainly in the Arlington and Alexandria areas specifically at the following apartments: Cascades at Landmark, the Forty Six Hundred, Colchester Towne, and Rose Hill of Alexandria. None of these are in Arlington but I would like to explore some nice 2 bedrooms ($1500) in the Arlington area because I heard it was safer and had better schools (not sure if that is possbile with my budget). Could someone please give me some advice?
Don't know about the reputation of the specific complex, but here's a 2-BR rental listing in your price range that's also in the attendance area for some of Arlington's top schools:

View Property Details- 2028 VERMONT ST N #203, Arlington, VA 22207

There are other C-D posters who are the "resident experts" on Landmark and other Alexandria neighborhoods, but I do know this is a nice part of Arlington.

Last edited by JD984; 01-07-2010 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Try looking in Falls Church as well. It's a bit south and halfway betwixt McLean and Arlington.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:54 PM

83 posts, read 181,650 times
I would second Falls Church, my husband I just moved here and we like the location. Its kind of in the middle of everything which is nice so its not a long drive to get almost anywhere. Mclean is really close as well. The area seems relatively safe and there's a lot to do right in Falls Church. Although I can't vouch for the schools since we don't have any children.

We have a nice 2br 1.5 bath plus den for $1550 a month which I think is reasonable considering the rents down here. Plus we are less than a mile from the metro, and there's a metrobus stop right outside our apartment.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 PM

Thanks, I'll definitely look in the Falls Church area and see what I find. It's so hard researching online because most places look good in the picture. I've also started looking into the Annandale area because the schools received good rating and the rents were slightly cheaper. Does anyone have any insight on the quality of this area?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2010 View Post
I've also started looking into the Annandale area because the schools received good rating and the rents were slightly cheaper. Does anyone have any insight on the quality of this area?
Personally, I like Falls Church better. But FWIW, here are a few thoughts on Annandale:

General description: Annandale is a mix of pleasant suburban single-family houses (most built in the 1960s to 1980s, and you'll see more of these close to Braddock or Ravensworth Roads), as well as aging garden apartment complexes off Little River Turnpike. Some of the apartment complexes have a rough reputation by NoVa standards. Which means petty crime, because there really aren't any truly rough areas in Nova. This is not Southeast DC. There is some relatively minor gang activity.

Many have said the areas of Annandale outside the Beltway are generally nicer, safer, and have been holding their value much better. This has been a matter of some debate, however, and there are exceptions. For example, the Sleepy Hollow neighborhood is inside the beltway and is considered very nice.

From what I hear, the test scores reflect the percentage of English speaking student more than the quality of the school. Schools like Canterbury Woods and Wakefield Forest have fewer students for whom English is a second language than a school like Braddock. As a result, their test scores are typically higher. Anyway, that's what I hear. I don't have personal experience with these schools.

A few pros: Parts of Annandale are close to the Dunn Loring Metro. It's easy to get to D.C. from Annadale. Annandale has an interesting variety of ethnic restaurants and mom and pop stores. Many posters have said its a great place to raise a family.

Here are some threads that discuss Annandale in more detail:
Townhome Purchase, Burke Versus Annandale
Close Family Neighborhoods
Annandale
Dominion Valley Versus Annandale
Stay at Home Mom Afraid of Annandale

Old 01-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Thanks! I am a single mom of a young boy so safety is a huge concern of mine moving to a new area. I want to try my best to avoid any areas with a lot of crime and/or gang activity as I do not want my son to be negatively influenced. I really appreciate the insight on the test scores because that certainly makes a difference in the true quaility of the schools.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
I like the Carlyle section of Alexandria (City). Considering that the whole area is on the site of a former landfill, especially, I'm very impressed - it looks a lot better than many other new developments I've seen in NoVA (partly, I think, because it's in its own little semi-secluded nook, which really appeals to me). It's also:
1.) very wallkable, with several city bike trails nearby; 2.) pretty dense with a variety of dining options (not much retail, though) and close to a Whole Foods; and, finally 3.) close to both the Eisenhower Ave. and King St. metro stations. It's probably my favorite non-Old Town section of Alexandria, besides Del Ray.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 PM

Can anyone shed some light on how the commute from the Island Creek area of Alexandria to McLean would be around 7am and 5pm? I know bad but about how long?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 AM

36 posts, read 89,079 times
during rush hour at least an hour. otherwise 20-30 minutes

rush hours are 7am - 10 am and 3:30-7pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia