Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times

Advertisements

The airbag issue is generally from an airbag light on the dash. Did you notice if the light was on with your car? Sometimes repacking the airbags can be costly, and it's also expensive to work on an airbag system since you have to be trained to not "accidentally" deploy it while working on it. (Airbags are actually deployed by a small amount of rocket propellant, such as ammonium nitrate, to basically explode and force the bag outwards - hence the reason they're kinda pricey).

---note - I do not advocate the following, nor am I responsible for your choice in the following ---
A work around for the airbag light is to pull your dash console out, and you can put a piece of electrical tape underneath of the odometer cover. One of my old cars was repaired, but the light was never reset and was going to be pricey to fix, I ended up doing this to effectively black-out the light from the front side so it looked like nothing was on. However, I would truly make sure that your airbags are working on your car. And once again, I don't endorse using this to side-step the safety inspection!
-------------

For the other issues, like everyone else has said - Take your car somewhere else, this place is trying to steal your money. A tie-rod should only be a few hundred dollars, and the wiring/relay for replacing the blinker system shouldn't cost that much either. Call around to a few shops and ask for estimates on replacing your tie-rod and blinker relays, that should give you a better idea about the cost.

If your car truly does need $3500 worth of work, then it was probably failed for good reason. Please make sure it is safe to drive, not only for your safety, but everyone else driving around you. The inspections can be annoying, but I tend to support them after seeing some of the heaps driving around in other states legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia