Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:20 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,282,411 times

Advertisements

I wanted to apologize for my negativity today. It has been a rough day for me, I am not so happy about this storm, we had planned on leaving NOVA on Saturday, finally heading back home after 6 months, and now not to sure if it will happen. I miss my kids, my "stuff", and my dogs. For the first time ever in my 22 yr olds life I did not get to spend his birthday with him, so throwing a possible 2 ft of snow has not been good for my state of mind.

I had to get out today and get the kids withdrawn from school and it seemed like everyone had forgotten how to drive today. So it probably wasn't the best time for me to post. Especially after yelling at all the crazy drivers.

I still think both the positive and the negative of this area needs to be posted and without personal attacks from both sides. There are some informative "negative" posts on here.

Arlington has not worked for us, it is not where we would live if we came back here but has been convenient for our time here as we had only one vehicle. I could however tell a young professional that they would probably love the area we are staying in, as that is the age group it is geared to. Not so much to a family who is used to living in a SFH in a family oriented neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM

372 posts, read 1,116,890 times
Uh yea... Arlington is the single young professional hot spot. Why did you move there thinking it would be family oriented? You want Reston/Herndon for that.

What's with all these depressing threads lately? Is the weather really getting to people?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
ajzjsmom, you don't need to apologize. It's not just you. People are acting really crazy today. If not a real panic, just major, major tension in the air.

Sorry to hear about the setback on your trip. I hope you can make it sometime in the near future.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,982 times
The crummy weather is getting to all of us. If you come back, move to Vienna, or Oakton, or someplace for families.

I know you miss your kids, but don't worry about the 22 year old. I'm betting he was able to enjoy his birthday even without his Mother!

I hope that you are able to get back home very soon.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
Uh yea... Arlington is the single young professional hot spot. Why did you move there thinking it would be family oriented? You want Reston/Herndon for that.

What's with all these depressing threads lately? Is the weather really getting to people?
Reston is where I grew up, and I would never even consider Arlington (Except for Ft. Myer). Back in the day Arlington was a great family place, but it's dissolved into a Lil' Mexico as of late (At least that is my observation).

Btw, yeah, what IS up with the snow haters and all? I think that the more snow we have, and the better the Winter overall (Meaning the colder, and whiter it is), then the more I love Spring! :-)

Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,282,411 times
Quote:

I think I have clarified why we are here more than once. We did not move here, we are here on Temporary assignment, my husbands assignment comes to an end today and we will head back home. We moved to Arlington for the convinience factor and because the area is rich in furnished housing which we had to have. We are in essence on TDY so are without anything but our clothes. And yes I am well aware we want somewhere else for the family factor and now I know.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
Reston is where I grew up, and I would never even consider Arlington (Except for Ft. Myer). Back in the day Arlington was a great family place, but it's dissolved into a Lil' Mexico as of late (At least that is my observation).
Um, I'd say that neighborhoods like Westover, Bluemont and Country Club Hills are still amazing places to raise a family. If English is your native language, then Arlandria might not be ideal, and Court House/Clarendon/Ballston are too full of young singles and couples, but otherwise Arlington is a great place for a family.

And...Lil' Mexico? In case you haven't noticed by the lack of good Mexican around here, Latinos in NoVA aren't generally from Mexico. And Arlington County is no more Latino than Fairfax County.

To ajzjmsmom: You don't have to apologize! Despite your self-proclaimed negativity recently, you've still been nicer and more thoughtful in your posts than the bulk of us these last couple days. If I'd been planning on moving back home tomorrow, I would be one angry SOB right now. Between that and missing your son's birthday, you should be upset right now. Here's hoping that the rest of your February goes well!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I wanted to apologize for my negativity today. It has been a rough day for me, I am not so happy about this storm, we had planned on leaving NOVA on Saturday, finally heading back home after 6 months, and now not to sure if it will happen. I miss my kids, my "stuff", and my dogs. For the first time ever in my 22 yr olds life I did not get to spend his birthday with him, so throwing a possible 2 ft of snow has not been good for my state of mind.

I had to get out today and get the kids withdrawn from school and it seemed like everyone had forgotten how to drive today. So it probably wasn't the best time for me to post. Especially after yelling at all the crazy drivers.

I still think both the positive and the negative of this area needs to be posted and without personal attacks from both sides. There are some informative "negative" posts on here.

Arlington has not worked for us, it is not where we would live if we came back here but has been convenient for our time here as we had only one vehicle. I could however tell a young professional that they would probably love the area we are staying in, as that is the age group it is geared to. Not so much to a family who is used to living in a SFH in a family oriented neighborhood.

No apologies necessary!

I think you should just regard this unpleasant experience as a lesson for the future....a pay grade or two just isn't worth being somewhere you don't want to be! Life is too short, and in the end it doesn't make that much difference anyway.

But, early in my Federal career, I fell for it too....and ended up doing stints in some pretty awful places. Then I wised up and started turning them down! So what if my career trajectory flattened somewhat...I still collect a very nice pension....and I did NOT spend years in misery away from home.

Bon Voyage!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,464 times
Good luck on your trip to wherever it is you're going! Soon you'll be settled in and enjoying life somewhere else.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:27 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
No. Some people on this forum love to "invent" things that other people have said to add fuel to the fire. See my latest thread for this. I now have people implying that I've divulged which particular contractors I happen to work amongst and which contractors, specifically, have a below-average work ethic. I've never made any such claims, but a few members are now discussing that in the other thread. Some people on this sub-forum just love to exhibit very Type A-oriented behavior. Very unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia