Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 32,001 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're moving to NOVA this summer. Husband has orders to school at MCB Quantico. May stay at Quantico after school... may go to the Pentagon... could go to Nebraska. Isn't the certainty of military orders awesome? Nothing like planning the future.

I am COMPLETELY unfamiliar with the area. My sole experience was a service at Arlington... on Friday afternoon... when we were staying at a friend's house in Fredericksburg. Really?!?! We moved 2 miles in an hour and a half time span. Holy traffic Batman! I have never, ever (ever ever ever) experienced traffic like that.

So, I ask all of you NOVA experts, what are some of your favorite areas and why? We will be renting for a year. Not terribly concerned about cost. We're coming from a considerably smaller area in NC. Looking for a great elementary school, but can go the private route. I would love an area where I can pop over to a great grocery store (Wegmans.. Teeter) without ever having to go on I95 (ever ever again). Love stuff to do for elementary school child (indoors due to medical condition - theatre, cooking, art). Good restaurants, fun cute things to see. Do plan on going into the city as often as I can - great places I can't wait to see. You know... the holy grail. (please don't yell at me - I know I'm asking a pretty broad question)

Any and all advice is MUCH appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Without knowing where the assignment will be it's tough to answer. If he's assigned to Quantico then you have all kind of choices. To avoid a commute look at areas in Montclair or anywhere along the RT 234 Dumfries Rd area. A fairly easy commute from here to Quantico. If he's assigned to the Pentagon then you'll have to go with Arlington to avoid the type of commute you experienced earlier.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
"We will be renting for a year. Not terribly concerned about cost."

Your housing budget will be the single biggest factor affecting your housing choice. If you're wiling to spend $3000+ per month, you can live pretty much wherever you want. Otherwise, you will have to make some tradeoffs. Are you looking for an apartment? Townhouse? Single-family home? That will give folks some ideas for more useful suggestions.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM

I know.. It's a bummer not knowing what's after Quantico - thus the dilema - go north just in case or south because it's closer. I am aware the housing budget is the single bigggest factor - from what I gather the rent goes up every mile you go north on I95. We're looking for a home - would prefer not to spend $3000/mo, but will consider all options (public/private school would factor into housing cost). We're pretty flexible - I was hoping some people would throw out opinions on places they live or know of because of the community, the things to do, cool opportunities for kids, etc. It's hard to get a feel for a city just by looking on the internet... can't wait to look around first hand. You all can laugh - in my deluded mind I thought it would be like St. Louis - everything's 20 min away. Hahaha.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-chick View Post
You all can laugh - in my deluded mind I thought it would be like St. Louis - everything's 20 min away. Hahaha.
Well, that's a fair description of my neck of the woods, so who knows. Maybe Quantico is described that way, too. Sorry I can't help you very much--Quantico's more than an hour away from me and so way off my radar when it comes to knowing anything useful. But does that stop me from posting? LOL, nope! 'Cause I wanted to say how much I like your writing style. You sound like a person who knows how to enjoy life and fit in well wherever you go.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:23 PM

Awww... normie - thanks! I like your style too! You sound like someone I could have a cup of coffee with - after driving an hour and a half for a cup of joe. I found a house in Loudon county that I loved loved loved. It is sooooooooo incredible. I think it was Leesburg. I had these romantic notions of living in wine county... shopping in cute little historic stores... going to the bakery. Seriously - the Loudon County visitors page with the videos makes you want to live there yesterday. My husband said thats more of a commute than he'd like to Quantico... darn. PS - I do love life - bloom where you're planted!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:30 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-chick View Post
My husband said thats more of a commute than he'd like to Quantico... darn. PS - I do love life - bloom where you're planted!
You're husband is smart! Traffic is a bear here, and driving from Loudoun to Quantico would be worse than a bear. I'm not sure I know what's worse than a bear but whatever it is, that's the beast for describing a commute like that.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 PM

207 posts, read 752,657 times
I would pick the West Springfield/Burke/Lorton area as it is in between the two.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
Burke. Wonderful family neighborhoods. Great schools. And a relatively easy commute. My husband normally works in D.C. He walks across the street with all the other government/military guys and jumps on the VRE. I think it's about a 30-40 minute nice quiet train ride in.

Right now he is at Quantico working on a special assignment. His commute in the morning from Burke to Quantico is about 30 minutes. Traffic isn't too bad going that direction. Coming home it's about the same 30-40 minutes depending on traffic.

We have tons of military in our neighborhood who are assigned to the pentagon. Most of them get on the Pentagon Express Bus on the corner.

Good Luck! Traffic can be a nightmare up here. This is a stressful area to live in for lots of reasons. If you can eliminate the hassle of a long commute, your husband's life will be so much easier!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
If the 30-40 commute is acceptable, I would agree with the Burke suggestion. Good school pyramids, tons of shopping, great recreation centers, lots of community swim clubs, and a lot closer to DC attractions than Quantico. And a pretty wide selection of housing at different price points, with ample rentals of nice places by military/government families who are posted elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia