Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM

17,377 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

I want to try growing some vegetables this year - in pots on the patio. Has anyone had success with a garden like this?

I've never done this before and I was wondering what types of vegetables would grow well in pots in our NoVa climate. Also, when should I plant them?

I'd love to try growing the plants from seeds but I could also buy small starter plants from the nursery. Do any of the garden centers offer classes on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,859 times
Peppers grow really well. You might be able to do green beans too.

Make sure they are not in the direct evening sun during the summer, and they you water them more often then you would if they were in the ground. (Since they'll dry out pretty quick)

Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 PM

486 posts, read 1,665,779 times
We had good luck with peppers and tomatoes too in pots.

If I remember correctly we started the seeds indoor in late March or early April and then eventually planted them in pots and set them outside. We did water them every evening.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
If you're a newbie, go ahead and get starters at a nursery. Maybe try an early pot of radishes from seed -- you could probably plant in a protected area now and might get some luck with those. Just bring inside or cover up if there's a frost or freeze warning at night. Peppers, tomatoes, bush beans, strawberries (special pots for these, and make a wire cage b/c squirrels will eat them 2 days before you're ready to pick EVERY TIME, dang thieves!). Big pots for tomatoes -- they're heavy feeders.

And pretty much any herb will do okay in pots (some, like mint & oregano, are actually better to plant in pots so they don't take over the garden), and that's a really inexpensive way to oomph up anything you make in the kitchen.

You can get water-absorbing crystals to add to your soil mix to help prevent the pots from drying out as fast (be sure to use sun/safety glasses and wash your hands well b/c it's brutal if any gets in your eyes).

Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 PM

35 posts, read 110,425 times
If you want to invest in an Aerogarden - indoor water growing system, you can grow greens, herbs, peppers and cherry tomatoes year round. I have two aerogardens and grew my own salad green in my kitchen and had fresh salads three times a week all winter.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 AM

17,377 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Thanks! I appreciate all of the suggestions/tips. I'm going to check out a few of the nearby garden centers for pots/seeds/starter plants.

I'm also going to look into the aerogarden - it would be wonderful to have some fresh, home grown veggies year round.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
(some, like mint & oregano, are actually better to plant in pots so they don't take over the garden),
LOL, very good advice. Mint in particular is invasive in Northern Virginia. If you grow a single plant in your garden it'll spread like crazy. Soon you'll have enough to make mojitos all summer...for your whole neighborhood. It also spreads all over your lawn and looks terrible. But the good news is you'll have a minty-fresh scent every time you mow the lawn!

Growing plants from seed is extremely easy. I have the best results using those domed trays they sell at drug stores or home improvement centers. Or, if you get the carryout food at Wegman's their plastic domed tray works just as well. Put some potting soil in it, water once, and after the water soaks in sprinkle the seed on top. Then leave it near a window and let nature take its course. If you use the Wegman's dishes, make sure the lid is loose (not snapped on) so a little bit of air can get in.

In a week or so the seedlings will be big enough to touch the top of the dome. At that point, transfer to a pot. Water lightly, but regularly (once a day or so is fine). After mother's day, put the pots outside. The first few days you should leave them outdoors for only an hour or two, to give them a chance to adjust to being outside. That's all there is to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia