Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 AM

77 posts, read 292,141 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest good nursery around Burke area?

Or is it cheaper to get plants and flowers from Home Depot or Walmart?

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 AM

216 posts, read 632,752 times
Burke Nursery, of course

Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
It is less expensive to get plants from Home Depot, Lowe's, and other big box stores, sometimes; however, you do not always get the same quality, nor the variety that you can find at a nursery.

Burke Nursery has some good things, I agree, but I'd also check Heather Hill Gardens in Fairfax Station for some good plants.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
If you have specific, perenniel specimen plants in mind (with an eye to mature size, shape, time of bloom, leaf color, etc.), it's often better to pick them out from a nursery.

If you just need typical spring and summer annuals, or basic greenscaping plants (pansies, or any green & white hosta with a medium leaf, for examples), then the big box stores are fine for that. Try to go on a Friday, b/c that's typically when they get a truck in so there are plenty of fresh plants for Saturday morning sales.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM

77 posts, read 292,141 times
Thank You All! for the postings. It will help a lot.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:21 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
I went to Burke Nursery for some help with trees the other day and they were GREAT! I went to Merrifield today for some help and was definitely unimpressed with the help.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
I went to Burke Nursery for some help with trees the other day and they were GREAT! I went to Merrifield today for some help and was definitely unimpressed with the help.
Yes, Merrifield is slipping right now. I'm shopping for crape myrtles these days, and was disappointed with Merrifield. Also Bluemont had disappointing stock--and they had ridiculously high prices, too.

Meadows Farms has me confused right now. In the past I have not been impressed. But for the sake of being thorough I stopped by the one on 7 & reston Parkway--and they had a decent assortment. The reason I'm hesitating is they're claiming they have some trees that just arrived from NC. I'm finding this a little hard to believe (of course, if it's true, then I'm buying 'em!).

The reason I think this is hard to believe is I went to the Great Falls Meadows Farms, which is about a half mile down the road, and they said they had not had a delivery and it's too early for deliveries. I can't believe one store got a delivery and the other didn't. Plus, I agree that it really is too early for deliveries of crape myrtles.

I got the name of the vendor in NC, and I'm contemplating giving them a call to see if the story adds up. The thing is, the trees look pretty good whether or not the story's true--but I don't feel comfortable buying trees from a vendor who's told me a bunch of BS. I'll have to see how this all sorts out in the next few days. Meanwhile, I'll continue to look... there are lots of tree vendors in VA.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Normie - Burke Nursery said they are getting a shipment late this week from the Greenhouses. I was very impressed with their expertise, stock was of course low. I actually bought my Red Leafed Maple at Costco. It's a beautiful tree! I went to Merrifield out of convenience on the way home from work for leaf compost and had awful service. So much that I would probably go to Burke over Merrifield.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Nalls on Beaulah in Alexandria..(kingstowne) always fun!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Normie - Burke Nursery said they are getting a shipment late this week from the Greenhouses. I was very impressed with their expertise, stock was of course low. I actually bought my Red Leafed Maple at Costco. It's a beautiful tree! I went to Merrifield out of convenience on the way home from work for leaf compost and had awful service. So much that I would probably go to Burke over Merrifield.
What did you think of the prices at Burke? I've never been there (it's a bit of a drive for me) but might just check it out today if it's a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia